Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I did research on RCA's and think I am going for it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 01:25 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I did research on RCA's and think I am going for it.

I understand the function of RCA's and how they help with suspension travel and geometry etc etc.

Question, If the undercarraige of the car is at the same hieght (assuming that you raise your coilovers back up to account for the RCA drop) meaning the same hieght as pre-RCA's how does this prevent bottoming out? I thought that as you go lower on coilovers the suspension (dampening) becomes tighter (better to prevent bottoming out)? Someone please shed some light on this subject. I feel like my car is pretty damn low and STILL have about 1/2-3/4" wheel gap; I scrape on driveways and bottom out on speedbumps all the damn time!

Is it because I only have 19's? Perhaps if I had 20's with my current setup I would have less wheel gap due to the overall diameter of the wheel/tire being greater with the 20's thus filling in the wheelwell better. This would give my car the "illusion" of looking lower because there would be little or no wheel gap.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-08-10, 02:26 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RCAs prevent bottoming out?? If anything, they'll bang your upper control arms against the wheel well more.

I'm on Bilstein PSS + Sage RCA but it won't go that low. I think I have about a finger gap and have a 2-3cm more to go on the perch thing and at a little under -2 camber. So I guess you could eliminate that gap with front and rear RCAs.
Old 01-08-10, 05:14 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

coilovers like the tein cs...to raise and lower you car at the pre-loads. lowering the car requires shortening the springs, which limits the piston travel and puts more stress on the seals....which causes bottoming out.

with RCAs...it drops your car lower, which allows you to raise your coilovers to remain at the same height. raising at the preloads allows more susp travel of the pistons....and less stress on the seals.

My tein CS v1 blew because of the long term drop....seals leaked...and oil was running down the side of the tubes.