Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP! suspension clunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 01:55 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! suspension clunking

Ok, so last night I was driving on a road which all of a sudden became super bumpy. Afterward, my car drove normally, however whenever there is a bump, dip, pothole, or anything in the road, my suspension would clunk. The clunking is apparent at all times, even when there is a very minor bump. I was wondering what is wrong with my car...I'm lowered on Tanabe DF210 springs. The clunking is very loud and discourages me from driving my car...
Old 01-13-10, 06:38 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

bump... anyone know what's wrong? It sounds as if something in the rear of the car is loose or moving around.

Last edited by eggwoll; 01-13-10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 07:39 PM
bpon89
Driver School Candidate

Hey Eggroll, that is EXACTLY what happened to my car yesterday too! It started off like just once in a while, then I started to hear it often. I feel like when I go over little dips that the rigidity of my car doesn't seem solid. I just took my car to the dealer to find out what's wrong but they said they'll have to charge me to inspect it since I changed the suspension. I have an IS350 lowered with and IS250 Eibach springs.
Old 01-16-10, 07:57 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

I say Eggwoll, you should ditch it and drive your LFA instead.
Old 01-16-10, 08:18 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

I just installed my f-sport springs on my own which took 12 hours.. However, its been about 2 week since the installment and there is absolutely no clunking noise from the rear. I think that you should put some silencers on the rear and it should decrease or fix this problem. If you have the skills to install spring on your own, try to re-install the springs and see if the springs are aligned with the shocks correctly.
Old 01-16-10, 09:34 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

The sound is sort of a metal-on-metal noise, not really a clunking per say... but more like a clicking sound? The sound is especially noticeable in parking lots where there are many dips/bumps. Now that I listen to it, it sounds as if it is coming from the middle/front of the car.
Old 01-19-10, 11:04 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure your emergency brake is adjusted properly. I had to have it adjusted three times before the noise stopped.

Koz
Old 01-20-10, 10:16 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem sometime. Just wondering if you have aftermarket sway bars? if you do, that might be the noise you're hearing. Its because the struts get all dried up and you need to grease it up. Or check if your coilovers are tighten correctly, or if you're on springs you need that rubber thing.. i forget what its call
Old 01-20-10, 06:14 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

hmm took my car to Tommy at Musicbox yesterday... he took a look at my springs/shocks and said that they are fine. He said that it might be my heat shield which is hitting a screw, so he bent it to avoid anymore rubbing... I was also told that it might be a rock rolling around somewhere or maybe being stuck in between my brakes... anyways the noise has mostly gone away but i still hear it sometimes. We went on a road test and he said that everything checks out ok.
Old 01-21-10, 05:26 AM
Koz

Have the Stealer adjust the emergency brake!

Koz
Old 01-22-10, 10:40 PM
GenkiRS16
Driver School Candidate

Can you help explain how does emergency brake have an impact?

My car is having similar issue...I'd hear a popping sound, like spring popping sound from the front of the car when I make sharp turns or going through road bumps. I took my car to the shop that installed it, and they said it was fine. However, they did re-install it, they put some rubber pieces on the springs, but the noise didn't go away. So what do I need to tell the shop about the emergency brake? Also, is there other methods that I can try as well in case that doesn't work?

Thank you!!
Old 01-23-10, 10:19 AM
lux2010
Driver School Candidate

I have strut bar installed on my IS. It helped apparently when I make sharp turns or going through road bumps. The steady comfortable is worthy to try.
Old 01-25-10, 08:51 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by GenkiRS16
Can you help explain how does emergency brake have an impact?

My car is having similar issue...I'd hear a popping sound, like spring popping sound from the front of the car when I make sharp turns or going through road bumps. I took my car to the shop that installed it, and they said it was fine. However, they did re-install it, they put some rubber pieces on the springs, but the noise didn't go away. So what do I need to tell the shop about the emergency brake? Also, is there other methods that I can try as well in case that doesn't work?

Thank you!!
If the noise is truly coming from the front of the car, this is not your problem. I can tell you that there were times when it sounded like the noise was coming from the front and all the time it was from the rear. The emergency brake adjustment is very critical. There are separate internal drum brakes on the inside the rear rotors. I had clicking/rattle/clunking noises coming from under the car. It took 3 adjustments until the senior Tech told me that each rear wheel has to be separately adjusted perfectly and then the slack has to be taken out of the cable. No more noises.

Koz
Old 01-27-10, 04:42 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

Hmm, I just got my car back from Lexus of Glendale for service, and the noise came back...

Originally Posted by Koz
If the noise is truly coming from the front of the car, this is not your problem. I can tell you that there were times when it sounded like the noise was coming from the front and all the time it was from the rear. The emergency brake adjustment is very critical. There are separate internal drum brakes on the inside the rear rotors. I had clicking/rattle/clunking noises coming from under the car. It took 3 adjustments until the senior Tech told me that each rear wheel has to be separately adjusted perfectly and then the slack has to be taken out of the cable. No more noises.

Koz
Will they adjust it for you if you have a modified suspension?
Old 01-27-10, 05:56 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same noise from the rear on my eibachs (I think its the same you have) and it went away with some spring silencers. getlike 4 or 5 on each side

Quick Reply: HELP! suspension clunking