Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

springs or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 10:15 AM
rocketship
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs or coilovers?

k, soo i heard in the long run if i have springs its gonna mess up my suspension, rather than me getting coilovers to have everything a smooth ride. but see, im on a budget what to do :[
Old 01-15-10, 10:54 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

first of all, what does your budget look like?

also, you'll see in the 2is suspension and brakes subsection... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nd-brakes-198/

... that there's been previous discussion threads regarding the springs vs. coilovers debate.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...coilovers.html

(slightly different topic for your consideration)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ns-please.html

springs will not "mess up" your suspension system unless it was installed incorrectly. it is a cost-effective solution for a lowered ride height, although the trade-off for the cost-effectiveness is the complete lack of adjustability. also, several other members are running aftermarket lowering springs with oem shocks to great effect as far as retaining the factory-like ride quality.

but before any other discussion... determine your budget first.
Old 01-15-10, 01:36 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

man projectdna is quick. was about to suggest him to search our forums becuase this has been discussed many times.

You do need to figure out your budget first. A set of springs costs around $200-300 average. A set of coilovers average about $900-1000. I am in the same boat as you, but I am leaning towards the coilovers only because I do not want to be in the same group of people that regret getting springs after they get the coils.

Do more reseach by goign to the links that projectdna posted. It might be worth the extra cash for coils in the long run. Good luck!
Old 01-15-10, 05:35 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ i'll take that as a compliment.

depending on brand and condition, check the 2is classified or the CL vendor sections. pricing from them is competitive, and by doing so you're also supporting CL.

btw, don't forget to factor in install costs if you have to pay a competent shop to do the work for you.
Old 01-15-10, 06:25 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

ahaha projectdna. u have been in every coils vs springs thread from all my researching. I think u make valid points and it has really helped me decide on the whole springs / coils decision. thanks and keep up the good work!!!

rocketship - always keep an eye out in the classified section. always great prices on springs / coils. install is about $150-200 from an independent shop. Expect to pay 2-3 times that much at the dealership. shop around and get quotes. u can always get local auto shop recommendations from local CL members too.

GL!
Old 01-15-10, 07:57 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

I am currently on f sport springs and I have to say, the drop looks so good!! Also the comfort is not sacraficed and with swaybars, the car handles better than my friends s2000
Old 01-15-10, 11:49 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Coilovers > Springs

Stock shocks are not made to go with aftermarket springs. Think of it as a rig. I've never blown a stock shock, but others do it all the time. Long term, they might or might not blow out... dependent on driver and conditions, but then again that applies to everything. Plus most spring kits, you can not adjust them to go lower.

Coilovers are made for what we want, even if its a one time drop. The shock is made to take abuse aka go lower. Not only do you get a drop, but some of them or rather most of them come with a shock dampening system. It can improve handling on turns, etc. Whats so great is that you can adjust each corner to sit perfectly. I know with some springs, the front driver side sags a little.
Old 01-18-10, 01:50 PM
rocketship
Rookie

ahhh great tips guys! i already got springs for the meantime right now, got it down for a real good price for some tanabe springs for 150, ima switch to coil overs when i get more money later in this year hopefully!