Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 05:47 PM
PlatinumIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein suspension

Does anyone have the Tein coilovers, im interested in getting a set of springs or coilovers?

Obviously here is a price difference, a big one.

I wanted to see if anyone who has either the springs or coilovers could help me in the right direction. My IS is a lease so idk if its worth it and i will be putting some 20s on it if that makes a difference.

My friend has Tein springs on his IS-F and they seem to ride great and the drop is good too but wondering if its the same for the the ISX50.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-10, 05:49 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tein s-tech springs are great ive had them for a while before i made the switch to coils
Old 01-20-10, 05:51 PM
PlatinumIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by L-S-D
tein s-tech springs are great ive had them for a while before i made the switch to coils
Thats what i was leaning towards but i had springs on my Mercedes and always wanted to go lower, what coils did you get? and what are the major differences??
Old 01-20-10, 05:53 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

I heard tein springs give some ppl uneven drop and some say they're fine but yes coils price range are a huge difference but you won't regret it. The feeling on coils and springs are like day and night...coils make your car way more firm in driving wise on a normal setting and in stiff setting, it feels like you can take any turns
Old 01-20-10, 05:55 PM
PlatinumIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS
I heard tein springs give some ppl uneven drop and some say they're fine but yes coils price range are a huge difference but you won't regret it. The feeling on coils and springs are like day and night...coils make your car way more firm in driving wise on a normal setting and in stiff setting, it feels like you can take any turns
I was thinking, do it once, do it right.

What Tein coilovers do you guys recommend, or what other companies do you recommend?
Old 01-20-10, 06:26 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

some things i've learned about coils:

Tein CS, comfortable ride but doesnt drop as much as SS.

Tein SS, stiffer ride and with the front at full slam you still wont run into any fender damage with mild offset rims.

Tanabe Sustec Pro5: can drop more than SS BUT... because you can you will and you can start to suffer fenderliner/fender damage.

Because your car is a lease, i would stick with CS or SS, this way you really cant get into fender damage $$$ when your lease is up... ALSO by replacing your struts with coils when you return the car you swap back the stock set up it'll still be cherry thus no $ payouts there either
Old 01-20-10, 06:33 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

i wouldnt recommend tein coils as they dont even drop that much

best bang for your buck deff MEGAN racing or BC racing coils both are great !
Old 01-20-10, 07:06 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS
it's not just the spring rate on the coilover springs that make it ride "more firm". you can not only have custom spring rates w/ coilovers, but you can also adjust its shock dampening rate - obviously something you can't do with springs + oem shocks.

imo determine your budget first before taking the dive. while coilovers provide the ability to adjust ride height and shock dampening, the price of entry is easily at least three times that of lowering springs (some four, five, and even six times as much!), and that's excluding labor.

there are quite a few 2is owners w/ coilovers that will tell you how great they are - as will i, but i digress - but they've only played/adjusted with the height/dampening settings no more than a handful of times. if the chances of you joining the "set it and forget it" club is high, you may need to consider whether it is "worth it" to put the money down for coilovers.

if you can justify the cost of adjustability (not necessarily making the adjustments, but having the ability to make adjustments), then by all means go with coilovers. this is not to discourage you or anyone but rather just an opinion from a cost-benefit perspective.

good luck.

--

edit: i'm a little biased towards megan racing LP's, but that's just me.
Old 01-20-10, 07:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by L-S-D
i wouldnt recommend tein coils as they dont even drop that much

best bang for your buck deff MEGAN racing or BC racing coils both are great !
so you'd recommend coils that can SLAM to someone with a lease? well sure why not, its not our money when he's gotta turn the car back in

hey, get megans and SLAM DAT BICH!
Old 01-20-10, 07:37 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

haha welll i mean get coils so u get that OPTION if u want to slam or not.. beter to be able then to not be able !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-10, 08:03 PM
PlatinumIS
Lead Lap

Well now you guys got me thinking, I have heard good things about the Tein and since i want to drop it low, so i think the Tein SS are my best bet. As for other coilovers, i want to get more info on BC coils, Megan and Tanabe coilovers.

Hope you guys can direct in a better decision. Also im choosing coilovers for the reason of good quality but i want to be able to slam the car. Thats why the Tein SS seem to be my bets bet but whats the price????
Old 01-20-10, 08:29 PM
kbh
Pole Position

i vote for coils
Old 01-20-10, 10:23 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Tanabe Sustec Pro5: can drop more than SS BUT... because you can you will and you can start to suffer fenderliner/fender damage.
Daaaaaamnnn, tell me about it. I rub, but the full slam is so beautiful. They just as comfortable as stock and if you want it can be as stiff as Teins.
A friend of mine had megans, they're okay but a bit noisy.
I bought my tanabe coilovers around $1000.
Old 01-20-10, 10:29 PM
Ehjay
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by steezy
Daaaaaamnnn, tell me about it. I rub, but the full slam is so beautiful. They just as comfortable as stock and if you want it can be as stiff as Teins.
A friend of mine had megans, they're okay but a bit noisy.
I bought my tanabe coilovers around $1000.
Tanabes are cheaper than Teins most of the time. shouldve gotten the tanabes and saved $400.
Old 01-21-10, 12:06 AM
PlatinumIS
Lead Lap

So no its between the Tanabes and Tein SS.

Quick Reply: Tein suspension