Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front rotors gone after 2 years normal?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 08:34 AM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front rotors gone after 2 years normal?!

So I've driven 16k on my breakpads from lexus and now they are done a long with my rotor's when i spoke with a service advisor they said and i quote "they are designed that way on the Lexus IS to go) So now the front rotors are gone after 2 years anyone else had this issue? Sound normal to you?
Old 02-05-10, 09:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 360LexusEs
So I've driven 16k on my breakpads from lexus and now they are done a long with my rotor's when i spoke with a service advisor they said and i quote "they are designed that way on the Lexus IS to go) So now the front rotors are gone after 2 years anyone else had this issue? Sound normal to you?
Did he tell you the measurements on the remaining life of either to judge if he's being honest or not?

Some folks go through brake pads that fast, some run 4-5 times as long on a set...depends how hard you are on your brakes.

Rotors should no way be done after that many miles unless you abuse them.
Old 02-05-10, 09:02 AM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

that's not normal, did you get your car brand new or used? 16k and replace rotor? maybe the dealer try to rip you off
Old 02-05-10, 09:04 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how youve treated them. mine are gone exactly at 16k but that includes a little bit of track time. If you granny them they can go well over 25k miles im sure.
Old 02-05-10, 11:37 AM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't much meat on a rotor anymore...Brand new it is pretty close to minimum specs...So I don't think it is unlikely they would need to be replaced..If you need pads at 16K you must be hard on brakes which also will he harder on the rotors..
Old 02-05-10, 11:48 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The service adviser said that? Im sure that if you look in your owner's manual, rotors do not need to replaced that often. Did he mention them being warped or anything?
Old 02-05-10, 11:58 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so... you trust what the stealership tells you? ic...

when you goto a doctor lots of ppl go get a 2nd opinion, same applies for cars ESPECIALLY when its the stealership telling you 'something'.
Old 02-05-10, 01:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
Depends on how youve treated them. mine are gone exactly at 16k but that includes a little bit of track time. If you granny them they can go well over 25k miles im sure.
Mine were still in great shape with almost 60k miles on them when I traded the car in. I didn't "granny" them at all. It's all how you drive and how you use brakes. My pads and rotors were projected to last to almost 100k miles based on the measurements I'd taken over time.

16k and the rotors are shot? I seriously doubt it. Your dealer just wants to sell you new pads and rotors. Ask to see the measurements performed on the car in the shop - not just written down. It takes seconds to do a measurement and you might not even need to pull the wheel off to do it (I didn't with my micrometer). So they should be able to show you it's too thin (although I think they're FOS and just trying to sell you parts.)
Old 02-05-10, 01:39 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

most of the times they tell u to change the rotors or pads is when they are about 50% or lower in wear.
Old 02-05-10, 02:52 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

I'm only on my second set of brake pads and I have over 50K miles and original rotor of course. On top of that, I drive pretty hard half the time so unless you tracked it, that's a whole new story.
Old 02-05-10, 02:56 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on how you drive. It is possible to replace rotors early but very difficult to warp rotors. I say you get a second opinion from a different mechanic.
Old 03-04-10, 07:45 AM
360LexusEs
Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
so... you trust what the stealership tells you? ic...

when you goto a doctor lots of ppl go get a 2nd opinion, same applies for cars ESPECIALLY when its the stealership telling you 'something'.

It wasn't the dealer it was a friend who's a mechanic, i really don't ride the breaks that hard so i don't understand how that happened, and the excuse the dealer gave me was BEYOND comical. and I quote "they are designed to go fast" (regarding the break pads) I almost fell out of my seat, i've had issues with this dealership in the past and surrounding dealers on longisland although personally i don't think its a regional thing, i think as the economy has gone down the drain so has their service.
Old 03-05-10, 12:58 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using OEM brake pads?
Old 03-14-10, 03:01 AM
sofresh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Mine were still in great shape with almost 60k miles on them when I traded the car in. I didn't "granny" them at all. It's all how you drive and how you use brakes. My pads and rotors were projected to last to almost 100k miles based on the measurements I'd taken over time.

16k and the rotors are shot? I seriously doubt it. Your dealer just wants to sell you new pads and rotors. Ask to see the measurements performed on the car in the shop - not just written down. It takes seconds to do a measurement and you might not even need to pull the wheel off to do it (I didn't with my micrometer). So they should be able to show you it's too thin (although I think they're FOS and just trying to sell you parts.)
Yes.

FYI, I too have more than 60K on my first OE rotors.

FOS, they are.
Old 03-27-10, 10:01 PM
jackjackng
Driver School Candidate

2 years is way too early. but if you wash your car alot and water get on the rotor often it will kill the rotor faster.

Quick Reply: Front rotors gone after 2 years normal?!