Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Spring Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 04:20 PM
Alex33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, names Alex, Im Zach Triggs' mechanic

The spring IS on the perch, just not on the outer rim of the perch where the SC springs sit. If it were on the shock body it would be sitting about 3inches up from there. This is completely safe. I can't talk for other springs on the market but I can say that B & G springs for a Supra application work perfectly on an SC application, sure they aren't the Right springs but look at Triggs' results, a nice stance on the cheap. If we were to cut off the narrowest coil off the bottom of these springs so they would seat on the outer rim of the SC spring perch it sould drop the car about another 1.5inches, not good. We had no problems with these springs and would recomend them to anyone else wanting to do the same, BUT i can't say for sure that a different brand of spring will have a narrower base and not fit over the shock body. These did and it looks great.
Old 02-14-10, 04:36 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

something fishy about your post..

just cause the spring is on TOP of the perch doesnt make it proper..the perch has a specific seat design for a reason, therefor if the spring fails to sit PROPERLY there is room for malfunction..yes it may be firm against the shock body, but its still not sitting where it was meant to sit..

Yes his car looks good, the springs arent going to fall off, but bottom line is that Supra springs regardless of brand were NOT meant to be used with SC shocks due to improper fitment..and having a "mechanic" publicly state that it fit good enough to use, is one more major reason I dont trust "mechanics"...
Old 02-14-10, 04:42 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

^ I think your just dead set on this not working because you have always learned that sc with sc supra with supra....

There is nothing on the 'proper' perch to hold the spring in place anyways....
Old 02-14-10, 04:54 PM
Alex33
Driver School Candidate

whats so fishy about my post, Triggs' asked me to get on and explain better what we did.

What would malfunction, do you even know? Do you have an example of this type of thing failing in some way? As a mechanic I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the way these springs are opperating and there is no reason that they should ever fail.

The only way these could hurt the car is if Zach was to get some SIIIIICK AIR and the spring lift up off the perch and when it comes back down sit on the shock body sideways, highly unlikely and even if it did happen all it would do is make the back of the car sit up 3inches higher. I would jack the car up place the spring back on the perch and go on about my day.

Oh and they don't rattle around on the perch either. I can see where that could be a problem but with such a heavy car they stay put very well.
Old 02-14-10, 04:55 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zhillz
^ I think your just dead set on this not working because you have always learned that sc with sc supra with supra....

There is nothing on the 'proper' perch to hold the spring in place anyways....

wow, you just dont quit...there is a PROPER spot for the spring to sit, but if you want to follow the "mechanics" word go ahead..but dont get butt hurt when you get flamed for purposely taking the cheap route and using parts that were never meant or manufactured to be used together.
Old 02-14-10, 05:03 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbodremz
wow, you just dont quit...there is a PROPER spot for the spring to sit, but if you want to follow the "mechanics" word go ahead..but dont get butt hurt when you get flamed for purposely taking the cheap route and using parts that were never meant or manufactured to be used together.
Im asking what you think is proper... Its 2 damn circles! The springs go flat at the bottom.

The shock is perfect circle. The springs setting next to me have the last coil slightly irregular to make it flat so it would sit flush all the way around the perch.
Old 02-14-10, 05:04 PM
Alex33
Driver School Candidate

to Turbodremz,

there are dudes like you that follow the rules and never have problems, boring car, boring automotive life.

then theres people who engineer, fabricate,and mechanic, who have amazing cars that are one off peices of automotive art. Sure we may run into problems but we have fun while doin it, and we learn what works and what doesnt so fools like you wont have to take risks and figure it out on your own.

YOUR WELCOME

Last edited by Alex33; 02-14-10 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 05:10 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

^ well you lost my support now with the hippie speech.

I did lol at mechanic used as a verb I say it all the time.
Old 02-14-10, 05:16 PM
Alex33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zhillz
^ well you lost my support now with the hippie speech.

I did lol at mechanic used as a verb I say it all the time.
Its cool, just voicing my opinion on his opinion
Old 02-14-10, 05:25 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alex33
to Turbodremz,

there are dudes like you that follow the rules and never have problems, boring car, boring automotive life.

then theres people who engineer, fabricate,and mechanic, who have amazing cars that are one off peices of automotive art. Sure we may run into problems but we have fun while doin it, and we learn what works and what doesnt so fools like you wont have to take risks and figure it out on your own.

YOUR WELCOME
this made me LOL...you two must be related..next time, make sure you spell pieces correctly..oh and "custom" failing, I mean custom fitting shocks on cars they werent meant for is not fabrication or engineering, its called being shady and not knowing the down sides of the specific valve rates for one application VS. the other and just slapping some springs on them and saying oh look they fit so they work..

again, im done arguing with ignorance especially when it has a "mechanic" relative. its guys like you that are quickly turning the SC in to the next 240sx.
Old 02-14-10, 05:29 PM
Alex33
Driver School Candidate

"custom fitting shocks on cars they werent meant for "

umm we are talking springs, the shocks stayed
we kept the SC shocks, therefore the valve rate is correct for the car. valve rates have nothing to do with springs there buddy
Old 02-14-10, 09:32 PM
420hustla
Driver School Candidate

im n luv wit my money
Old 02-15-10, 09:15 AM
420hustla
Driver School Candidate

http://www.tra-kyoto.com/

Old 02-25-10, 09:33 AM
Akito san
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boston sc4

I had to re-do this because the smileys didnt work and made my page Refresh and deleted all my art work.

option1 : to expand the bottom of the rear spring to sit on the perch hat not on top of perch.

Option2! : to weld small plates around the perch to prevent the spring from slipping off the perch.

Fender area

=|=|= <---spring around shock
=|=|=
=|=|=
\=|=|=/ <---welded metal plates on and around perch \=|=|=/
| |

Bottom

tire area

hope it helps Let me know if you got them how the ride feels and POST PICTURES with the springs on!! =D
Old 03-01-10, 08:08 AM
Alex33
Driver School Candidate

there is really no need to do this since they aren't goin anywhere.

but welding on a new perch would be a good solution if they had a chance of slipping off. however i would not recomend anyone go out and weld on their shocks......bad idea.

Quick Reply: Spring Fitment