Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LCA help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 02:25 AM
flux702
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LCA help!

I bought a set of Prothane front control arm bushings hoping to replace my current ones. However i've ran into the problem that i have different bushings on each control arm. On the drivers side i have these here. And on the passenger side i have still have the oem bushings. The aftermarket bushings on the drivers side don't have the metal sleeves to fit the Prothane bushings, and i didn't recieve any sleeves for the lower control arm only for the upper. My question is would the Toyota or Lexus dealer have the bushing sleeves in stock or do i need to buy new LCAs? Also would the oem bushings on the passenger side have the sleeves i need to reuse?

On a side note i noticed that my ball joints were leaking the grease from inside them. I'm short on cash at the moment so how long do I have before I need to purchase a new set of LCAs? I'm guessing that since they are leaking I need to purchase the 'em soon. How does the ride and handling of the oem supra bushings compare to the Prothane bushings? Should I change them out for the Prothanes before mounting the control arms?
Old 02-13-10, 05:27 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youbetter just change the whole controll arm. You cant get the LCA sleves because they come as one piece from factory.

The LCA are fine going urethane, but the upper control arms will make the ride harsh and noisy.
Old 02-13-10, 07:11 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a prothane bushing kit and it came with all metal sleeves.

are you referring to sleeves that go around the bushings and directly into the control arm or the steel sleeve that goes in the middle of the bushing?

prothane kit only comes with the inner sleeves.

if you get new control arms wanna sell me your old ones? im doing another set right now and can have down time. lmk. PM me. thank you.
Old 02-13-10, 09:48 AM
flux702
Driver

Yeah, i've seen pictures of the prothane kit that have the larger diameter sleeve. So unless i can source one of those im going to have to either return the bushings, use them for my new LCAs when i get them, or sell em to someone on the forum.

Also, how is the ride on supra arms with oem bushings vs supra arms with prothane bushings and would the prothanes fit into the supra arm? from what ive read they should. Is it worth the trouble of switching them out? Im looking for overall sportier handling.
Old 02-13-10, 11:37 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think supra arms will be perfect. Theres no point of buying new arms and removing the good rubber just to have it a little stiffer with prothane.

I have urethane lca's and theres almost no difference between my old bushings exept clunking and wobling..lol ...But then again i'm still on stock old suspention.
Old 02-13-10, 02:29 PM
flux702
Driver

New control arms it is then.