Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Significant difference in ride quality between Megans and GixxerDrew setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 10:24 AM
boostd4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Significant difference in ride quality between Megans and GixxerDrew setup?

I just got back from picking up my (new to me) 1995 SC300. 2,300 mile road trip from Oregon to Chicago! I'll post pics when I'm not at work.

Anyway, the car has low mileage Megan Coilovers on it now. It handles tightly and rides well but I'd like a little softer/more compliant setup as this is my daily driver and Chicago roads aren't the greatest. I had no complaints at all in most states along the trip... Chicago just sucks for road quality.

Anyway, I see that Megans are 14k/10k rates, which is equivalent to ~790lbs/565lbs. Those being much higher than the 500/250 GDB's, and from what I read, the Bilsteins are valved better than the Megans, can I expect a better ride?

I'm concerned because I read this in the GDB thread:

Originally Posted by WICKED SC4
If you are looking for a "soft" suspension that you can lower your car with, look elsewhere. This is not for that. It is a awesome suspension for someone who actually wants their car to drive aggressively and hook in all situations driving on any road surface in any condition. That is what this is for. You will be dissapointed if you are expecting a "soft" suspension. If you are expecting a super high performing suspension this may be for you..
I also read that some innertube near the top hat can help:

Originally Posted by kponti
Inherent design of most coilover sleeve designs have metal to metal contacts between the stock tophat and the hat in the coilover sleeve setup. I isolated a couple with inner tube tire and the different is astounding!
The ride really isn't THAT bad with the Megans, but I'm a perfectionist. It seems like there are a lot of differences between the two - will I be able to notice them?

I'm not TOO concerned with handling. I'm more concerned with having a nice stance (1-2 finger gap) while maintaining the best ride quality I can get. I understand you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-10, 11:17 AM
boostd4
Driver

Also, how are you guys doing these setups cheaply?

I thought this was supposed to be a budget setup, I'm finding either prices went up or I'm looking in the wrong places! Yikes!

Bilstein shocks - $440 (shox.com)
Bilstein sleeves - $240 (shox.com)
Springs - $220 (shock-shop.com)
Bump stops - $30
---------
$930

I've been searching and reading people building these setups for <$800. how is that possible?
Old 02-17-10, 05:50 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

you can also alter your ride by reducing the amont or preload in the spring just a little..and softening the valving, , also kinda depends what initial setup you have, you can actually purchase different spring rates from megan you just need to ask them,
Old 02-17-10, 06:12 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boostd4
Also, how are you guys doing these setups cheaply?

I thought this was supposed to be a budget setup, I'm finding either prices went up or I'm looking in the wrong places! Yikes!

Bilstein shocks - $440 (shox.com)
Bilstein sleeves - $240 (shox.com)
Springs - $220 (shock-shop.com)
Bump stops - $30
---------
$930

I've been searching and reading people building these setups for <$800. how is that possible?
if you look at the original thread in the supra forums it was never meant to b cheap, it was suppose to be a comfy DD suspension that can handle pretty well, just not as a good as a coilover

as for cheap builds? only thing you can do is find the parts used, i just paid $400 for my setup but the springs arent hypercoils their stock tt springs for now

i plan on putting them on tomorrow
Old 02-17-10, 08:12 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, this's not much of a budget setup. Also 250 in the back is extremely soft. I have 550/350 and the car feels very loose in the back. after some researching, the optimum ratio back and front rates is around 80%. so i might try 450 in the back when time allows.
Old 02-17-10, 08:28 PM
boostd4
Driver

Hmm.. I may have to hold off for a while.

I washed the car for the first time tonight and decided to check the cold tire pressure for the hell of it (since the PO said he did that 3 days ago).

42psi in all the tires...

Well that explains the rough ride. I aired the them down to 33/35 and the ride is much better. It's still a little noisy though. It's more of an aluminum/hollow metal sound going over bumps...

I think it's because the megan strut mounts/spring top hats are all metal, and bolt to the metal body where the stock shock mounts have large rubber bushings in them. I think I'm going to cut a piece of inner tube in a gasket shaped like the top of the strut mount and put it between the mount and the body. Then I'll put dynamat all around the inside of the shock tower and see if that does the trick.

Won't cost me much and is a bit easier than forking out $930 and doing the labor.
Old 05-07-10, 11:07 AM
boostd4
Driver

Still interested in hearing from anyone that went from Megans to Bilstein/Hypercoils.

More research says Megan LS series is 10k/8k, which is only 559/447 in lbs. I'm wonderin if the Bilsteins and the lower rear spring rate (250) will provide a noticeably softer ride ?
Old 05-07-10, 08:57 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of Oregon? And pics of the car
Old 05-08-10, 05:06 AM
boostd4
Driver

This one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-for-sale.html
Old 05-23-10, 09:01 PM