Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 10:29 AM
blake0387
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Long story made short: I received a gift of some stainless steel braided brake lines for my IS last Christmas. The lines ended up being completely the wrong length so they were never installed.

Now I'm interested in getting this done again and I'm having some difficulty finding any vendors who support our vehicle.

If there's not a place where I can purchase a set of the correct length my other option is to get them made by a local shop. In order for this to happen I need to know what the actual correct length is.

So the question is, could any of you tell me:

- A vendor who sells lines for our car of the correct length

or

- What the correct length of the lines would be

Thanks
Old 02-18-10, 09:58 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I recently ordered these and put them on. They seem to fit very well and appear to be the same length as stock. Shipping was expensive tho (I did 2 day shipping about $30). It came very fast tho and was in stock.

http://www.propartsusa.com/index.php?cPath=633_658_1258

I also bought some new pads, EBC Green stuff, and I pasted the link, but it appears I'm not allowed to post links to their site here? It was from Auto Parts Warehouse. Very fast and cheap over night shipping (about $3.50).

Last edited by AgBlue; 02-18-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-19-10, 10:50 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Are the aftermarket stainless steel brake lines helpful in improving the brake pedal feel? A brief review would be great.
Old 02-19-10, 02:18 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

+1 on proparts usa
Old 02-19-10, 08:19 PM
ALLCHILL
Rookie

Originally Posted by AgBlue
I recently ordered these and put them on. They seem to fit very well and appear to be the same length as stock. Shipping was expensive tho (I did 2 day shipping about $30). It came very fast tho and was in stock.

http://www.propartsusa.com/index.php?cPath=633_658_1258

I also bought some new pads, EBC Green stuff, and I pasted the link, but it appears I'm not allowed to post links to their site here? It was from Auto Parts Warehouse. Very fast and cheap over night shipping (about $3.50).
Did you install these yourself? if not, how much did you pay the shop?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-10, 08:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
Are the aftermarket stainless steel brake lines helpful in improving the brake pedal feel? A brief review would be great.
Only in your mind. Most of the OEMs use kevlar braid on brake lines these days. It's stronger, lighter, and because it's covered, it's more abrasion resistant than braided stainless over teflon. It can also go 10 years in service without requiring regular inspections because you don't have the flex and braid breakage problem braided stainless lines can have.

Braided lines on Air Force airplanes are inspected every 90 days (phase inspection). If you have more than x number of broken strands (based on size) in a 1" section, you replace the hose. Braided lines on automotive brakes should be inspected for damage AT LEAST annually.
Old 02-20-10, 08:40 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I upgraded my lines to ss lines. Overall feeling where the brakes peddles felt like brembos on my evo.
Old 02-20-10, 10:27 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALLCHILL
Did you install these yourself? if not, how much did you pay the shop?

Thanks in advance
I did the install myself with my brother and a friend.
The install was relatively easy, although we had problems with other stuff.
You may have seen my other post regarding the stuck slide pin on the rear right caliper. That has led to a lot of issues, and I still haven't quite sorted them out yet. I did manage to get my rear slide pin unstuck a few nights ago. If I have time tmmw, I may be able to finish it all. I should be putting up a new post with pics of everything and my whole experience through it all soon.

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
Since I've had the problems with the rear right slide pin, I haven't been able to really test it out. Also, at the same time, I decided to change out my brake pads with EBC Green Stuff, and also install the R1 Concept Premium rotors that I've been having in my garage for the past 8 months.

So in the short time I did get to drive around, I wasn't able to tell any difference yet due to the new pads and rotors not being worn in. I guess I should have put them on individually, but I figured I already had the wheel off, haha.
Old 02-21-10, 01:37 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
I upgraded my lines to ss lines. Overall feeling where the brakes peddles felt like brembos on my evo.
I think they fell that way because the brake lines have just been bled. If you were to bleed the brakes off of a POS, it'll feel like brembos.

Pedal feel has nothing to do with SS lines. Only strength of the line itself.
Old 02-21-10, 07:12 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2slow
I think they fell that way because the brake lines have just been bled. If you were to bleed the brakes off of a POS, it'll feel like brembos.

Pedal feel has nothing to do with SS lines. Only strength of the line itself.
I would have to agree. Purchasing better pads, and a good brake bleed job will give you the best results.

Last time I had them bled, they felt great for the next 6 months or so.
Old 02-21-10, 11:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

I hand-built braided stainless brake lines for my 1980 Honda 750F in 1981. I used -4 line from the master cylinder to the Tee, and -3 lines from the Tee to the calipers. After reading all the great things the magazines had to say about braided lines, I was absolutely certain all the hard work of cutting the tubing, fitting the ferrules, and assembling the whole thing one line at a time was going to be rewarded with the most fantastic braking I could imagine. Really.

Imagine my dismay when after spending two full days getting this all done piece by piece by hand, (myself) when I couldn't feel any difference at all from normal street braking to full threshold braking.

Ever since then I've been a lot more focused on bleeding the brakes well. It truly does make a big difference. The rest of the stuff is minor differences. Braided lines are cool, they look great, and you find them on real race cars, but in the end they're really nothing special from a pure performance perspective.
Old 02-22-10, 01:33 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ +1. Spend the time and bleed the air out of the system, and you'll have great pedal feel.
Old 02-22-10, 07:26 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

++ 2 for sure
Old 02-25-10, 12:10 AM
DJSirkit13
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Only in your mind. Most of the OEMs use kevlar braid on brake lines these days. It's stronger, lighter, and because it's covered, it's more abrasion resistant than braided stainless over teflon. It can also go 10 years in service without requiring regular inspections because you don't have the flex and braid breakage problem braided stainless lines can have.

Braided lines on Air Force airplanes are inspected every 90 days (phase inspection). If you have more than x number of broken strands (based on size) in a 1" section, you replace the hose. Braided lines on automotive brakes should be inspected for damage AT LEAST annually.
Are you in the Air Force?