Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN FLEX...finally installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 01:22 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how well does it drive now compared to the H&R Cloils you had? Almost back to stock smoothnest?
Old 05-30-02, 08:34 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Manaray: So don't leave us in suspense...how do they compare to the H&Rs? How's the adjustability? Give us your thoughts!
Old 05-31-02, 12:17 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well on my drive back home (it was a long drive on some jacked up LA freeways), my initial feeling was that it was a just a little bit more stiff than my H&R's...my buddy that was in the car with me said they thought they felt a bit "smoother" than the H&R's...but he's NOT a car guy...so take that for what it's worth...of course, on the ride back, I was REALLY paying attention to the suspension (listening for noises and whatnot) so that might be why I thought it was a little bit stiffer...(paying TOO close attention)

Definitely not a wide margin of difference...if I was looking for "ride quality", I wouldn't have any problem picking either the FLEX or the H&R's...that's how close my butt-o-meter rated it...

I am going to play around with the dampening and see what I come up with...I just haven't been driving the GS430 that much since I'm working on doing the 2nd project car...
Old 05-31-02, 07:45 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Just playing the devil's advocate. Why are people switching over to the Tein Flex's when they had Tein HA's. Wouldn't the Tein HA's handle a lot better than the flex's on track and on the road. Anyways, people complain of stiffness right? ( hope i read right ) I actually drove this car in Detroit, Michigan, yea the roads are bad there but there are no horrible roads in california compared to places that snow, don't know why we all complain in the sunny non snowing place. I actually drove this car back from Ann Arbor to the Bay Area which was 2800 miles. I had the shocks on 10 clicks front and back and my mom never complained and she's a hella sensitive person. Wierd huh? Well if someone could clarify what the Tein does that would be great. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 05-31-02, 11:22 AM
RacingAristo

gsnav,

10 clicks away from the softest setting? I'm running 8 clicks and my mom already complains about the stiffness. A lot of GS owners in CL don't like stiff ride which is fine with me. But I too enjoy the superior handling. I think the roads in LA is worse than Bay area, no?
Old 06-01-02, 12:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well when I had the HA's, I remember them being too stiff. It was too rocky of a ride...the FLEX are much more forgiving. Different people have different sensitivity levels.

As for the handling, I can not say that the HA's outhandle the FLEX or the H&R's in "real world" use. I have raced all sort of fixed up cars (ones with super stiff suspension, 16" racing wheels, etc., etc.) and I had no problem hanging with them or beating them with the H&R's and 20's....granted, we weren't racing at a "track" level of competition, just some fun in the canyons...

So like I said, it comes down to difference sensitivity levels...to some people, a slammed Honda on super stiff coilovers is an "ok" comfort level...for some people, even stock is too stiff...the only way to REALLY know is to try out a car configured the way you want your car...
Old 06-09-02, 10:14 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

So EDFC, is that the electronic damping controller? How does it work? Can you go from a near stock ride with a push of a button into a "race" mode" on the fly? That would be great. Enlighten me Manaray.
Old 06-09-02, 10:20 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

SWEETSOUND2001,

To answer your question above "YES"
BTW there are 24 clicks from the softest setting to the hardest.. The softest setting is softer than stock IMHO and the hardest you would need new dental work done and a new buttocks.. LOL

Hope that helps!
Old 06-10-02, 12:00 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ken, have not noticed that drastic of difference? I just played around with my GS the other day and I tried the softest to the stiffest setting and only noticed a very small difference...hmmm...
Old 06-10-02, 12:07 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Dang Manaray,

Is there a MOD you DON'T have???? Your ride is walking advertisement for mods hahahah

Great pics thanks for posting the detail
Old 06-10-02, 03:24 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by manaray
Ken, have not noticed that drastic of difference? I just played around with my GS the other day and I tried the softest to the stiffest setting and only noticed a very small difference...hmmm...
Mike,

Perhaps it could be the GS is more compliant because its not running on runflat tires plus I suspect the roads in CA are much better than the ones here in Ontario.. None-the-less I hope when the new wheels go on the SC it should make the ride much better and I can tighten up the dampening a bit more.. I was running 8 clicks from the softest setting all the way around but now I have gone back to 6 clicks from the softest and all is good..

With the FLEX at 12 all the way around the SC does handle amazing thou but my a$$ was paying for it..
Old 06-25-02, 03:02 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

manaray - could you get the CS manual in english and post the pdf? thanks.
Old 06-25-02, 11:20 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

you should try hitting up Tein for that info...I don't think they have it up online but they could probably fax it to you...
Old 06-26-02, 07:13 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know if anyone with the TEIN flex ever bottoms out and how frequently. That is my only concern, otherwise I would be sold on the coilcovers.

I usually drive with a full house and quite fast. Bottoming out would be quite embrassing. I only plan to lower about an 1" and keeping it close too soft settings.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-02, 11:02 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Drew,

Honestly I think getting the L-Tuned suspension would work best for you and save you money since you are only looking for approx. 1" lower and a stock like ride.. As for bottoming out i've done it once when I hit a pretty good pothole but its not an issue on my end.. I am running 2.25" lower approx. all the way around on the SC430 but I have to be very careful when parking for curb damage on the front end or I just reverse in when I can..

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: TEIN FLEX...finally installed!