Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ok everyone need some input on coilovers or springs what yall running

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 02:48 PM
fro20
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
See now the Tanabe Sustec coilovers I hardly hear about. There is little to no feedback about these making believe that they are not the greatest for our cars.

You are right, I hear nothing about them. I think people dont buy them for our car, maybe they are too cheap. But I have ridin in them in a civic and a 350z and they are nice, and cheap.

For me the reason no one buys them is they are non-adjustable on compression/rebound and the shock body is not adjustable, they are twin tube and they are $800, Most people think, well for $100 more i get all the adjustment I want, a monotube with a megan or a ksport etc. So why would they buy them, they think they want all the adjustability in the world.. and they do want it. But not to use it properly, just to say they can...IMO

I had all that asjustment on my S13, and used it, ONCE, to setup the car, then never changed it again. But thats a different animal. That was a track car that I drove on the street and had help with professionals properly tuning in the suspension with my feedback.

Anyway twintube is great for all of US DD drivers even if you occasionally drive spirited. Mono is better for performance, but most of us would never know the difference on a GS that we dont track.

Jeremy
Old 02-25-10, 04:01 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fro20
You are right, I hear nothing about them. I think people dont buy them for our car, maybe they are too cheap. But I have ridin in them in a civic and a 350z and they are nice, and cheap.

For me the reason no one buys them is they are non-adjustable on compression/rebound and the shock body is not adjustable, they are twin tube and they are $800, Most people think, well for $100 more i get all the adjustment I want, a monotube with a megan or a ksport etc. So why would they buy them, they think they want all the adjustability in the world.. and they do want it. But not to use it properly, just to say they can...IMO

I had all that asjustment on my S13, and used it, ONCE, to setup the car, then never changed it again. But thats a different animal. That was a track car that I drove on the street and had help with professionals properly tuning in the suspension with my feedback.

Anyway twintube is great for all of US DD drivers even if you occasionally drive spirited. Mono is better for performance, but most of us would never know the difference on a GS that we dont track.

Jeremy
Well said Jeremy.

There tends to be a reaction of posters to say "I need coilovers and wants a big drop," at the same time those individuals talk about the performance characteristics, single vs. dual valving, but most of us use these cars as daily drivers and will never quite evolve all of the performance qualities. With that said, here are a few things to remember and some reviews of my own.

KSport, BCR, D2, & Megan are from what I'm been told from two distributors here are made by the same organization. This is a common practice of most organizations, it called vertical marketing. The approach doesn't mean that all of the products are the same. As an example, I find BCR coilovers of high quality, will send with custom sring rates, have nice (if needed) adjustability, are constructed correctly allowing ride height and spring load as separate functions, and can be purchased by one of the ethical and knowledgeable vendors on the site. 2nd GS folks seem to be raving about them.

I truly recommend riding with someone that has the suspension you're after, or following the lead of some suspension guru's like Phil or RMMGS4.

Here's my relative experience of shocks/springs/coilovers to help others (scale 5=awesome, 1=wish I would have spent the money on strippers). You'll notice the progression over the past decade of suspension tuning:

Eibach/OEM shocks (on OEM wheels):

Comfort - 5 (really a nice ride, very progressive spring dampening)
Noise - 5 (used the OEM mounts so there was little to no transfer noise)
Road feel - 3 (although I liked the look)
General handling - 2 (it didn't have the "guts" I wanted)

L-Tuned shocks/springs (on OEM wheels, then 18's with stagger):

Comfort - 5 (this is the way the car should have come out of the factory to REALLY compete with the BM 5-series)
Noise - 5 (used the OEM mounts so there was little to no transfer noise)
Road feel - 4 (yes, I could take an entrance ramp at 65 where the speed limit was 35 but it did make me squirm)
General handling - 4 (this is really the goldilocks of a spring/shock combo, IMHO)

Tein SS (18's staggered, had them on the car 1 week)

Comfort - 2 (this is a race coilover or one meant for someone that REALLY needs to have a stiff ride, IMO)
Noise -2 (creeks, bumps)
Road feel - 4 (they were pretty bad a$$ in this category)
General handling - 3 (I couldn't get past how rough the ride was so I'm sure my opinion was slanted)

Tein CST (18's staggered, RCA's front and back, strut bars front and back, had them for 2 1/2 years)

Comfort - 4 (riding low and lowering are mutually exclusive, so I rate this higher since I was riding at 26 inches at the wheel well around)
Noise -2 (the road transfer noise drove me nuts and in hte winter the creeking was crazy)
Road feel - 4 (great handling, nice manners, but was not a fan of the dampening. I could never get them set up correctly)
General handling - 3.5 (This was the best all around coil over I've experienced but was after something else)

Bilstein PSS (current coilovers w/o strut bars as in prior set-ups)

Comfort - 3 (These are the best "performance" coilovers I have ever personally experienced. Progressive opposed to linear spring rates, lifetime warranty, HIGH quality product. These are bad boys but not as my daily driver.)
Noise -4 (they use the OEM strut mounts. This score might be higher in the spring/summer when it's not as cold out)
Road feel - 4.5 (These are absolute BEAST on the road but ride to harsh for my liking)
General handling - 3.5 (If you're looking for performance, it gets no better than these; not a coilovers for lowering unless you have RCA's)

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 02-26-10 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 05:55 PM
SYNSEI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^
Really good information. Thanks for taking the time to share. And I'm not even the OP.
Old 02-25-10, 06:46 PM
Ogvenom
Driver School Candidate

Alot of good info in this thread for a noob like me thnx guys
Old 02-26-10, 10:54 AM
36Chambers
Pole Position

Quick VR-4 whats your wheel setup?
Old 02-26-10, 11:59 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

I would rock a less adjustable Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC built with quality over a set of MEgan/D2/BC/Stance/KSport or any other chinese manufactured stuff.

Jeremy
Why? Because you have owned the above listed coilovers and through your "experience" the Tanabe are better?

But someone said before, this is a Lexus, not a Honda. Shi.. none of my S chassis buddies even run Megan coils.

Jeremy
I take a little offense to this statement and here is why. My choice in Megans has NOTHING to do with me cheaping out. It has to do with modifying and maintaining 3 vehicles. I could sale my other cars and pour a lot of $$$ in my Lexus, but I enjoy owning multiple cars with each providing certain things I like. If that means saving a grand by getting Megan coilovers so I can put a 1-piece carbon fiber driveshaft on my VR-4, that is what I am going to do. I just have trouble with people knocking ***** that they have no direct experience with.

Originally Posted by 36Chambers
Quick VR-4 whats your wheel setup?
Donz Montana's brushed aluminum with chrome lip:
20x8.5 38mm with 245/35/20's
20x10 42mm with 275/30/20's

Did not mention earlier, but those who complimented my car...THANKS!!!! With so many great cars on this board, that is a huge compliment!!!!
Old 02-26-10, 12:19 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated here a couple times the BCR coilovers are a good option for an upgrade on a street car that wants a sportier suspension wuith good adjustabiltiy on height and damping.

They are mono-tube, dual-height adjustable, have 30 levels of damping adjsutment and a few nice features that others don't have like locking lower rings and rubber mounts for comfort.

We are an Authorized dealer, so if anyone has any questions or needs pricing feel free to shoot us a PM
Old 02-26-10, 12:51 PM
fro20
Driver

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
Why? Because you have owned the above listed coilovers and through your "experience" the Tanabe are better?

I have ridin in cars with Tanabe and they were nice. Never in a car with megan coilovers, but had friends very un-happy with the quality of megan's other parts whom I trust and I know are knowledgable

I take a little offense to this statement and here is why. My choice in Megans has NOTHING to do with me cheaping out. It has to do with modifying and maintaining 3 vehicles. I could sale my other cars and pour a lot of $$$ in my Lexus, but I enjoy owning multiple cars with each providing certain things I like. If that means saving a grand by getting Megan coilovers so I can put a 1-piece carbon fiber driveshaft on my VR-4, that is what I am going to do. I just have trouble with people knocking ***** that they have no direct experience with.

As I stated in an earlier post, nothing wrong with it if thats what you want to do. Do you corner weight your lex, do you adjust your suspension often for different events? All I am saying is all the bells and whistles are not necessary for a DD. Let the engineer decide your dampening rate, he did go to school for many years to understand fluid dynamics and physics so that through R/D he could design the best setup for your street car. If you do want the adjustability , fine. I am just saying buy some quality parts that accel at what they were built for. I for one dont want to replace my suspension in 3-4 yeras or less if you drive hard. Racing is full on different but that is not what we are talking about.
I get tired of aa lot of the support going to chinese manufactured stuff and leaving a gap in the big brands which leads to things like, HKS not making particular coilovers for our car, because their cheaper one didn't sell. So why give us the new better adjustable shock body coilover when not enough bought the cheaper one.
If you want megans thats fine, but many of their features are not needed for most DD and 30 way dampening only matters if each click actually feels different.

As for people talking on what they dont have direct experience with, that is just ridiculous. I dont have direct experience with nipple piercing either, but can tell you I dont want it. People form opinions and facts based off of real world experience by others and reading most of the time. So before you get offended, just chill out and read all of my post/s

Donz Montana's brushed aluminum with chrome lip:
20x8.5 38mm with 245/35/20's
20x10 42mm with 275/30/20's

Did not mention earlier, but those who complimented my car...THANKS!!!! With so many great cars on this board, that is a huge compliment!!!!
If its too good to be true, it usually what?????? IS.

Last edited by fro20; 02-26-10 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 01:38 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

I have ridin in cars with Tanabe and they were nice. Never in a car with megan coilovers, but had friends very un-happy with the quality of megan's other parts whom I trust and I know are knowledgable
Oh well, I searched and found very good reviews on Megan Coilovers. Not going to look at someone using an Megan exhaust and base my decision on their quality for a part with no comperable components. Stillen makes one of the best designed downpipes for the VR-4 on the market so that is what I bought. Would I have anything else on my car that they make...nope. Some companies make all kinds of parts, but only be great at a select few.

Do you corner weight your lex, do you adjust your suspension often for different events? All I am saying is all the bells and whistles are not necessary for a DD.
I did have it corner balanced, but I do not adjust suspension for specific events. Why? I do not track a 4,700lb. luxury car I know some people do, but I would guess that far more people use the car for the purpose it was designed for. If you track your GS, by all means by a substantial set of coilovers. I wanted the adjustabilty because I can dial into a setting that rides very comperable to stock. Other non-adjustable coilovers that I have ridden in have a much harsher ride which I did not want.

As for people talking on what they dont have direct experience with, that is just ridiculous. I dont have direct experience with nipple piercing either, but can tell you I dont want it. People form opinions and facts based off of real world experience by others and reading most of the time. So before you get offended, just chill out and read all of my post/s
I am chill, we just have a difference in opinions which is almost required when being on a message board. I tend to comment on products that I have used and you trust the opinions of others which is fine. I can honestly say by my experience that the Megan coilovers have worked fine for me.

You lost me with the nipple piercing comparison and now my nipple is hurting just thinking about it
Old 02-26-10, 02:12 PM
SirBev
Pole Position

Well you know what while I went to a shop with a bunch of guys in there talking Chinese whenever they figured that they should speak so that I did not comprehend however when I mentioned that Megans have the same thing that they are offering for cheaper they told me that they knew where Megan got there parts from, and would you have something on your ride that has a female name....Granted most of the speculation that goes on on how companies do what they do it's pretty much apart of there Brand marketing, and hear say... you might be surprised that the difference's between many of these items are just the manufacturer attempting to keep AVC down for all you Economist out there. 9/10 times they all come from the same place and are assembly in different buildings that then brand them accordingly or to better maintain you ability to not depend on outside supply chains you build your items in all aspects of the manufacturing stage to take more of the profits....This similar convo took place over knock off body parts and authentic one's......
Old 02-26-10, 02:53 PM
AJ.STYLEZ
Driver

99blkgs400, I don't know anything about suspension. But I seen these NEX Coilover Type SS Lexus GS300 GS400 1998 - 2005 on ebay for $635. I just thought you can take a look at them. Here's the Item number: 270533931415.
Old 02-26-10, 06:56 PM
fro20
Driver

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4

I did have it corner balanced, but I do not adjust suspension for specific events. Why? I do not track a 4,700lb. luxury car

You lost me with the nipple piercing comparison and now my nipple is hurting just thinking about it
I am glad you like your coils, corner balancing is a good idea if you have adjustable shock bodies. I was simply saying what you said above in the italics. Just that people get sold on all these things they don't need. Its like the biggie size at McDonalds.

Anyway, nice whip on the VR4, they are bad ace

Jeremy
Old 03-01-10, 05:31 AM
99blkgs400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everybody for all the great input i went ahead and bought the megan coilovers after all of yalls input and talking to the people at megan they were very helpful and answered all of my questions. Now to just get em installed!
Old 03-01-10, 06:42 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the people at Megan say that convinced you to do the purchase? I've been in NC and the road are great compared to NY, I don't think you will run into any trouble like major potholes and crazy dips on the road. If I had time to take pictures of the road right now, since the snow and the concrete has been lifted; left major craters everywhere. We (NYers) are in fear when it comes to being dropped and driving high speeds. I hope you're pleased with your purchase.
Old 03-01-10, 11:02 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

I am glad you like your coils, corner balancing is a good idea if you have adjustable shock bodies. I was simply saying what you said above in the italics. Just that people get sold on all these things they don't need. Its like the biggie size at McDonalds.

Anyway, nice whip on the VR4, they are bad ace

Jeremy
Agreed. We all like the gadgets no matter what it is we are looking for. Like you said, once I found a setting close to stock that I liked...I have not touched them since. Maybe if a group was getting together for a spirited drive through mountains I would consider changing to a harder setting, but that would be it.

Thanks for the compliment on the VR-4. I have enjoyed it for 11 years (d*mn that is a long time), but I am selling it this summer to try something new. There is a black on black NSX-T in my near future

Originally Posted by 99blkgs400
Thanks everybody for all the great input i went ahead and bought the megan coilovers after all of yalls input and talking to the people at megan they were very helpful and answered all of my questions. Now to just get em installed!
Report back when you get them put on. I think you will enjoy them

Quick Reply: Ok everyone need some input on coilovers or springs what yall running