Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

$650 for front pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 08:33 PM
dglade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $650 for front pads and rotors

I have a 2006 IS250, front wheel drive with manual transmission. It has 50,000 miles. The dealership says I need front pads and rotors. For $650. How is this in terms of time and price?

Thanks
Old 02-26-10, 08:37 PM
pheelgood
Pole Position

i got the same thing....mines actually worst... 700+tax... get BBK... same thing and youll look a lot better...!!!! or if ur on a tight budget get it done outside (some shop that you really trust) either get an OEM rotors and pads or a drilled slotted... whatever u prefer...
Old 02-26-10, 08:44 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IS with front wheel drive? I thought IS in US are either rear wheel or all wheel drive. Anyway, the price is about right and time I think even the local shop would be similar.
Old 02-26-10, 08:45 PM
dglade
Driver School Candidate

BBK? The dealership claims if I have them done elsewhere that it will not be original equipment but refurbished. So I hesitate to have it done at a national brake shop.

But I am skittish about the dealership after my fuel injectors were cleaned last year and then I read that is an unnecessary procedure.

They also wanted $45 to put in a new air filter. I bought one myself, but for the life of me cannot see where it goes! So I may have them do it.

Price is not an issue, I just don't want to be taken.
Old 02-26-10, 08:46 PM
dglade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quang
IS with front wheel drive? I thought IS in US are either rear wheel or all wheel drive. Anyway, the price is about right and time I think even the local shop would be similar.
You are right, rear wheel drive.
Old 02-26-10, 09:12 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, that must be with tax for pads and rotors, the filter is probably the engine air that goes into your engine air box which can be pretty easy. There may be a DIY somewhere under search.
Old 02-26-10, 09:20 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

the dealership is lying to u about getting bbk done somewhere else!! dont fall for that kinda bull...

i think u can get the OEM brake pads plus rotors online from sewell or another lexus dealership online, front brake n rotors should run u about ~$350ish... should take a good mechanic no more than an hr to get them on your car. i would think labor is $100... all in all, u might be able to save yourself $200ish. Even save more if u know a friend n he does it for lunch / dinner / or a couple of beers.

you do get peace of mind if u get everything done at the dealership, but i like to be mindful of my wallet too.

You can also search on a DIY installation on new air filters.

GL with everything and don't believe everything the dealership tells you. =)
Old 02-26-10, 09:57 PM
dglade
Driver School Candidate

I am learning that funnie. And Lexus dealerships seem to push things. But peace of mind is certainly worth something. Not like I am driving a Buick or something. You really want things done right with a Lexus. I saved about 4200 getting tires at the local shop[ not the dealership, but brakes are a different matter.
Old 02-27-10, 08:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dglade
I am learning that funnie. And Lexus dealerships seem to push things. But peace of mind is certainly worth something. Not like I am driving a Buick or something. You really want things done right with a Lexus. I saved about 4200 getting tires at the local shop[ not the dealership, but brakes are a different matter.
They really aren't.

Pads and rotors are extremely simple to replace.

Any competent brake shop can do it, for probably half the labor of a dealership... and the parts will be considerably cheaper if you buy them yourself too.

Get OEM centric blank rotors and OEM low-dust brake pads. Probably $150 in parts (about $100 for a pair of rotors from rock auto, about $50 for the low-dust pads from Sewell).

Then pay the $100-ish in labor at a decent brake shop.

$250 out the door. Maybe $300 with tax/shipping/incidentals.

And I'd have sworn swapping the air filter was covered in the owners manual, but if you not should find plenty of threads on here how to do it...takes like 5-10 minutes.
Old 02-27-10, 11:34 AM
dglade
Driver School Candidate

I hear what you are saying Kurtz. And it makes perfect sense. And clearly you are very comfortable and knowledgeable with all this. But to a non car person such as myself that all seems daunting, plus there is the fear of picking up the wrong parts.

I will certainly get an estimate from a local brake shop and compare it. But there is still a part of me, and I cannot explain it, that feels extremely comfortable having Lexus do the work, even though I know I am overpaying. I have no idea why.
Old 02-27-10, 11:40 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dglade
But there is still a part of me, and I cannot explain it, that feels extremely comfortable having Lexus do the work, even though I know I am overpaying. I have no idea why.
Stop being a lemming!

u can brake that spell the dealership got on u....
Old 02-27-10, 11:59 AM
dglade
Driver School Candidate

I'm working on it.

Old habits die hard.
Old 03-01-10, 09:40 PM
dglade
Driver School Candidate

My local Midas quoted me $347 for front pads and rotors with installation.
Old 03-02-10, 06:31 AM
Duke02
Driver

Also, I'd caution against the thought that the dealer is always going to do a good job. Yes, they'll have to stand behind their work, but also realize that since brakes are not very hard to do, it's not like they're going to have a master tech working on it. It's probably the guy who just graduated from oil changes.

I hate bringing my car into the dealer if it's something I can do because I know I'm more careful about my car then they will be. Maybe it's just bad luck but I've gotten my car back with little annoying things before like grease on the headliner.

Brakes on this car are truly simple, but if you don't feel comfortable, which I can respect, I'd second the reccomendation to buy the parts yourself and/or check into a local mechanic that people trust.

Also, it may be worth questioning the assumption that you need new brakes. I had a dealer try to convince me that I needed new pads even though there was PLENTY of meat left on them. When I called BS, he said it was because they had a new quieter pad. I told him I had the quieter low dust pads. He said these were quieter. Remember that the service advisors, albeit nice people, often know less about cars than your grandmother.

BTW, you may not need new rotors, you may be able to turn (resurface) them. Beware of dealer costs here as well. That same dealer quoted $200 to turn the rear rotors (which they had just done a few thousand miles before). I haven't gotten a quote from an auto parts store, but I suspect Napa or Autozone would charge less than 50 bucks.
Old 03-02-10, 03:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Turning rotors is often a bad idea. Unless they're properly surfaced, they'll show all the problems outlined in the video I linked. We've had a few members complain about clicking brakes too...there's a reason for the clicking and it's not because the brakes are working normally.

Quick Reply: $650 for front pads and rotors