Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! SPC Control Arms installed now 1" higher WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 02:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tarnut77
I talked to SPC today. They said about a 1/2 inch of lift is normal. I think this combined with the change in camber may be the reason behind this. Thay are going to do some reasearch and call me back later today as to why it is almost 1" on my application.

I am now in the market for front RCA's and a rear camber kit while I am at it. This thing is going to end up costing me a fortune.

Uhhhh I don't understand. Do you intend on using the front RCA's to drop the ride height?

According to the photos you have adjustable coilovers.
Old 03-17-10, 02:14 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by vwynn
how far can you move the arm away from the coilover??/ meaning if you go MAX + camber on that UCA.. does the hub arm thing move away much?
Not sure what you want to know but . .

As you add positive camber you will push out the top of the rim and get closer to the fender lip and lose clearance.

All offset recommendations need to factor the camber angle into the equation.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-17-10 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 03:19 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Not sure what you want to know but . .

As you add positive camber you will push out the top of the rim and get closer to the fender lip and lose clearance.

All offset recommendations need to factor the camber angle into the equation.
oh i meant.. you know how UAS bag users the arm gets REALLY close to the bag and it eventually rubs a hole? Would putting more + on the SPC provide more clearance so that it doesnt rub?
Old 03-17-10, 03:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes moving the adjustmen to add more camber will move the arm away from the bags, but it's uncertain that it'll clear. And who knows, but the time it does clear, you'll have less camber than you originally want.

I would certainly not use these SPC as a solution to the rubbing issue.
Old 03-17-10, 03:31 PM
RMMGS4

I'm not sure which part of the arms hits the bag. Any pics?

I can't visualize it completely, but it sounds like the arm clearance would not change, however the tire/wheel would.
Old 03-17-10, 03:36 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh i meant.. you know how UAS bag users the arm gets REALLY close to the bag and it eventually rubs a hole? Would putting more + on the SPC provide more clearance so that it doesnt rub?
I think the UAS bag will make contact on the steering knuckle when you lay out no matter what.

When u are dumped, the UCA moves up and pulls the knuckle with it.
Old 03-20-10, 01:07 AM
tarnut77
Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Uhhhh I don't understand. Do you intend on using the front RCA's to drop the ride height?

According to the photos you have adjustable coilovers.
Yes, but I only have about a 1/4 inch of drop left on the drivers side and for some reason the passenger side front has always sat about 1/4 inch higher than the drivers side even though is currently maxxed all the way down.

The RCA's will serve 2 purposes, 1 make up the height change from the control arms and , 2 provide enough adjustability to set the front where I want it and be able to level both sides.
Old 03-20-10, 01:33 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The correct fix to keep the bags from rubbing would be the UAS Lexus GS Billet Front Bracket Kit, which moves the bag higher so that it doesnt rub, at any psi.

Old 03-20-10, 02:19 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

That upper balljoint looks alot taller than a stock one.
Old 04-05-10, 10:53 AM
Zoolander
Intermediate

Any update on this? I was looking to get these but really don't want to sport reverse rake if these were indeed installed correctly which they appear to be.
Old 04-09-10, 03:24 PM
SpecProd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

Travis from SPC here. So i've read though this a couple times and have since talked with our engineers about the issue.

First off, not sure who you spoke to here, but our control arms will NOT raise your ride height in any way. The only difference as some have pointed out is the actual ball joint height. To get the adjustability, the assembly must have a place to go, therefore the ball joint assembly is about 1/2 in taller than stock.

What is really jumping out to me is the pre-load issue. We cant stress how important this is. The only reason for a change in ride height would be that the suspension wasn't loaded. I know you said you reinstalled them, my question is how? Was it a floor jack and 2 jack stands? What surface where you on? Though this installation is simple, we do recommended taking it to a professional, with most alignment racks there is a "jack and hold" function that allows the tech to evenly load the suspension.

I know you have another thread but about the clearance issue - I see you have coil overs, is the stock bump stop in them? If so you might need a longer bump stop. With the lowered suspension and the taller assembly, as you go low those components need to go somewhere, with out proper bump stops something will stop that up travel, in your case that might be the UCA and the fender.

Let me know, and please feel free to contact me. - tcozzie (at ) specprod.com

Last edited by SpecProd; 04-12-10 at 07:22 AM.