Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY Rear Camber Bolt/Knuckle Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 09:19 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

A nylon or rubber bushing is never a replacement for a pressed spherical bearing. Furthermore a sleeve is a bad interface for something that moves everytime your suspension cycles. Even the stock rubber bushings are staked to hold the sleeve and to preload the rubber bushing, which is also loading in torsion as the suspension travels.

These sphericals play such a key roll in locating the rear end, I would highly advise finding a replacement that is of the same interface. Is this something else I need to address for you guys or is there another alternative?
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-23-11, 06:47 AM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to do something but don't want to run into the same problems as diamondmit did. Should I just buy some used knucles? How can I know they aren't wore out?
Old 02-23-11, 07:28 AM
FIGS
The Maker

The only way to know of its worn is to remove the boot and look for wear on the ball surface.
Another lower tech way would be to mount an arm on it and test for play.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 02-24-11, 04:58 PM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

I have lots of play. Why does this need to be a ball joint? It only moves one direction.
Old 02-24-11, 05:11 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4wheel steering was offered in japan.
Old 02-25-11, 09:55 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by CDriver
I have lots of play. Why does this need to be a ball joint? It only moves one direction.
This is an incorrect statement, the knuckle pivots inward and outward because its a multilink suspension. Since the Trac link and the LCA create and intersecting geometry, they go through misalignment as they travel up and down. The bushing side sees less misalignment but it still stores a fair amount of energy as the suspension cycles.

The rear suspension is over constrained as it is, so the bushings help fudge things during the cycle, but that is why they wear out in the first place.

Its not practical for an automaker to have sphericals at every location when they can get by at stock ride height without one. When lowered though, all that preload in the rubber bushings shows up with binding. I only say this to demonstrate that there is a reason for a press fit, tight tolerance bearing on the knuckle side because it experiences all the locating forces from the linkages that connect to it. So it SHOULD be ridgid in this sense, thinking of it as the center of a tripod with rubber feet on the bottom. If you replace one of the tripod connections with a slopped energy absorbing connection, it will now shake more because it has a new mode, a new component, to store and release energy.

Squish is a bad thing on its own, but worse when its introduced into a place it was not designed for. You are going to have a new resonance by adding this bushing and it will interact with the infinite number of alignment variances. Its adding a spring where there was none and a frictional surface in the sleave.

Its up to you to decide, but personally this is not something I would do.
The following users liked this post:
RamAirRckt (04-06-17)
Old 02-27-11, 09:47 AM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

FIGS

Can you make something for this application? Someone manufactured these for Toyota, can we find out who?
Old 02-27-11, 11:33 AM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

Found this:

http://www.nengun.com/ikeya-formula/...le-pillow-bush

http://www.rhdjapan.com/ikeya-formul...s-toyota-61279

What do you guys think? No rubber seals scare me a bit.

Last edited by CDriver; 02-27-11 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 08:45 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

^^^^Anyone bought the bushings linked above or found another replacement? I need to fix this, sounds like I'm drving a matress.
Old 08-31-11, 10:42 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My tires are a few mm away from the fender. It scrapes the fender on acceleration, I think there is play when torque is applied. Wish for solid bushing-- FIGS ?
Old 09-02-11, 01:45 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bump..... Doing this this weekend
Old 09-02-11, 02:26 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondmit
...stock bolt, so the Lexus tech may have to bore the sleeve a little - not something I wanted the dealer to have to do. This is best done on a lathe or at a minimum, on a good drill press and I don't know what they'll be using. I sure hope they don't use a hand-held drill.

Also, the bushings slide into the hole too easily - one can move them in/out by hand, whereas the original bushings appeared to be press fit into the hole (although this could be because of age/time - there wasn't any sort of flange to hold the bushing in place.)

Lastly, once installed, since the bushing slides with ease, there is nothing to stop the suspension piece from moving in/out with the bushing. We're not sure that this is a legitimate concern and will figure this out when the alignment is performed and a road test completed.

I'm really getting terrific service from Dan at Northborough Lexus - I'm really impressed with his willingness to pursue this with me. I'll have some sort of final post tomorrow when this work is expected to be completed.

Fingers crossed :-)

dd

so you never updated this although you been on, how did this turn out for you?
Old 09-02-11, 07:28 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I have the right part number I got ADUS 690 Rear Axle Carrier Bushing - OE # 42304-30070....
Old 09-03-11, 10:49 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Originally Posted by whytry
I think I have the right part number I got ADUS 690 Rear Axle Carrier Bushing - OE # 42304-30070....
Let us know how it works out, but I thought the adus 690 is for the trac link bushings and not the one that the OP replaced.

Last edited by esolo98; 09-03-11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-03-11, 12:08 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
That part number is for the whole knuckle. I called the dealer, and he did not know if the bushing comes with it or not. Does anyone know? I have about 1/8" play in that joint, and need to fix it before it falls apart .

Quick Reply: DIY Rear Camber Bolt/Knuckle Bushing