Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What springs to get??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10 | 10:45 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

first of all, you should've looked through the suspension section. a search using the keywords "springs" and "coilovers" will pull up a lot of springs vs. coilovers debate. there's even a thread that's still on the front page of the 2is suspension section about coilovers and DD'ing:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-for-a-dd.html

again, i'm not trying to be rude, but seeing as to how many times this subject has been covered, it shouldn't require a new thread. but as usual, it is what it is. anyways...

first of all, determine what you can AFFORD. if you do not have the budget for coilovers or you do not want to spend that much for coilovers, end of discussion. this is something YOU need to decide from outset before anything else.

next, determine what you NEED. what product specs are you looking for? what do you want to get out of it? what can you live with on a daily basis?

if you get past the above two, then figure out what you WANT. once you figure out your true budget and your needs, you should have limited your options/selections down to a handful. if not, then go back and re-evaluate everything again.

you'll get a lot of advice from here, but ultimately YOU need to decide. do your research here, but take some of the advice that you've gotten here so far with a grain of salt - mine included.

thanks for reading, and good luck with your decision.
Old 03-20-10 | 11:48 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Originally Posted by projectdna
first of all, you should've looked through the suspension section. a search using the keywords "springs" and "coilovers" will pull up a lot of springs vs. coilovers debate. there's even a thread that's still on the front page of the 2is suspension section about coilovers and DD'ing:

again, i'm not trying to be rude, but seeing as to how many times this subject has been covered, it shouldn't require a new thread. but as usual, it is what it is. anyways...

first of all, determine what you can AFFORD. if you do not have the budget for coilovers or you do not want to spend that much for coilovers, end of discussion. this is something YOU need to decide from outset before anything else.

next, determine what you NEED. what product specs are you looking for? what do you want to get out of it? what can you live with on a daily basis?

if you get past the above two, then figure out what you WANT. once you figure out your true budget and your needs, you should have limited your options/selections down to a handful. if not, then go back and re-evaluate everything again.

you'll get a lot of advice from here, but ultimately YOU need to decide. do your research here, but take some of the advice that you've gotten here so far with a grain of salt - mine included.

thanks for reading, and good luck with your decision.
no need to bash this guy. if you read his post, he already listed his budget ~$200. he listed how much of a drop he would like. all this person is asking is which set of springs. this thread has nothing to do with springs vs. coilovers.
from one of your post "reading is fundamental"

Originally Posted by mxis350
Yea i don't have any plans in going too low with my car. Its a DD. I just want to close the fender gap. about 1 inch on the rear an a bit more on the front..
my suggestion would be eibach is250 springs. it'll give you about 1 inch in the rear and 1.5 in the front. with 19's, i had about 1 finger gap all around. the ride was very close to stock.
Old 03-20-10 | 12:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by onihc
no need to bash this guy. if you read his post, he already listed his budget ~$200. he listed how much of a drop he would like. all this person is asking is which set of springs. this thread has nothing to do with springs vs. coilovers.
from one of your post "reading is fundamental"
bashing? check the introductory caveat.

the discussion veered off from the thread title to what was discussed by several members - coilovers vs. springs. as such, i responded in response to the current topic in this thread.

reading is fundamental, but so is understanding the context of discussion before hitting the button. /OT

my suggestion would be eibach is250 springs. it'll give you about 1 inch in the rear and 1.5 in the front. with 19's, i had about 1 finger gap all around. the ride was very close to stock.
i'd suggest tein s-techs since they're a bit more aggressive than the eibachs. but again, that's just MY suggestion.
Old 03-26-10 | 05:20 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

In terms of quality/handling this should be the order priced around your budget:

1. H&R (would of so gotten this spring if they made a higher drop. IMO best quality and handling but sacrifice comfort)

2. Eibach

3. F-Sport

4. Tein (have personal experience and heard many stories that since they are kinda soft, it tends to have a noticable sag after a year to a year 1/2 later. Would not recommend unless comfort is your main concern.)
Old 03-26-10 | 05:42 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ oh, really?

odd, i never had any issues when my 2is was on s-techs, and i had them for over two years/25k+ miles.

and compared to the oem sports suspension springs, they were definitely more firm.

maybe the caveat of "YMMV" applies?
Old 03-26-10 | 05:50 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ I agree I never had any issues with my Tein Stechs and the new owner really likes them also.
Old 03-26-10 | 11:36 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

I never said the Tein's gave me any issues. I had them on my previous car which was the latest prelude and I felt they were a little soft so handling wasn't significantly improved however, it was indeed pretty comfortable compare to the Neuspeed that I had on the Civic before the prelude and now the F-sport on the IS. Since I had a full body kit at that time on the prelude, I was able to notice every single drop or sag since it was lowered on 1.5 and 18" (so it was only a few inches off the ground). As time past, I was able to notice it became lower and YMMV does not apply because since my previous car was soo low on bodykit, I hardly drove the darn thing. I thought it was just me but after reading other people's reviews (there are people on CL who experience this along with their friends too), it reconfirms it. You just may not notice it or notice yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good spring but I'm more into handling and performance w/ med range comfort since I drive hard vs. soft and comfortable.
Old 03-27-10 | 12:27 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

so let me get this right... your only experience w/ tein s-techs was NOT with your 2is?

fyi, the spring rates for s-techs DO vary by model.

case in point, s-tech spring rates for the prelude and for the 2is:
      (http://www.tein.com/products/s_tech_price_list.html)

while i am not an expert in suspension system physics, imo you're looking at a significant increase in spring rates. so while the s-techs for you prelude were "a little soft", then what's 1.5x-1.75x that?

your opinion is appreciated, but if you're going to make comparisons, make equal/fair (apples-to-apples) comparison.

thanks for reading.

Last edited by projectdna; 03-27-10 at 12:31 AM.
      Old 03-27-10 | 01:12 AM
      GiantsFan
      Lexus Fanatic

IMO, H&Rs give the best drop .... to me, the most even drop you will get with springs! Also, Ive never heard anything bad about them from owners.... These are next on my mod list...

Here is pics for reference:

T-Rex06's car on H&R's:

Last edited by GiantsFan; 03-27-10 at 01:18 AM.
      Old 03-27-10 | 05:46 PM
      loftus112
      Pole Position

Originally Posted by projectdna
      so let me get this right... your only experience w/ tein s-techs was NOT with your 2is?

fyi, the spring rates for s-techs DO vary by model.

case in point, s-tech spring rates for the prelude and for the 2is:
          (http://www.tein.com/products/s_tech_price_list.html)

while i am not an expert in suspension system physics, imo you're looking at a significant increase in spring rates. so while the s-techs for you prelude were "a little soft", then what's 1.5x-1.75x that?

your opinion is appreciated, but if you're going to make comparisons, make equal/fair (apples-to-apples) comparison.

thanks for reading.
          Of course every applicant is different as each make and models have different weight and dynamics so the materials are different. However, I am referring to the Brand in general so it's not as if other people who commented about the Teins have the same car as I do. Anywas, we are comparing springs to springs (not springs to windshield wipers) and most importantly the brand itself (like Hyundai). You don't see other members or myself saying anything about H&R or Eibach. Although I use to be a Tein customer, they lost me as a customer since rep, quality/craftmenship, all personal reviews and experiences are everything again, in general not just on the 2genIS.

Last edited by loftus112; 03-27-10 at 05:53 PM.
          Old 03-27-10 | 08:04 PM
          projectdna
          Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by loftus112
          Of course every applicant is different as each make and models have different weight and dynamics so the materials are different. However, I am referring to the Brand in general so it's not as if other people who commented about the Teins have the same car as I do.
          so then why are you comparing your experiences w/ tein s-techs for the honda prelude and assuming it's true for tein s-techs for the 2is? it makes no sense. (keep reading and i'll disclaim your assumption.)

Anywas, we are comparing springs to springs (not springs to windshield wipers) and most importantly the brand itself (like Hyundai).
          you don't seem to understand what i mean when i say "apples to apples" comparison. when i use that term, i mean specifically comparing tein s-techs for the 2is w/ other aftermarket springs for the 2is (read: different brand offerings), NOT comparing different parts or even different brands.

btw, the inherent issue of comparing brands is each individual's perception of said brands. spring rates and reduced ride heights are facts. brand perception is an OPINION.

You don't see other members or myself saying anything about H&R or Eibach.
          neither have i, but don't understand that you're using your biased opinion with an application that has ZERO bearing on tein s-techs for the 2is.

now, if you were w/ s-techs, and your experienced sucked, then yes, that qualifies you to say "s-techs for the 2is sucked for my 2is."

however, the most valid statement you can make based on your experience is "s-techs for the honda prelude sucked for my honda prelude." see the difference?

Although I use to be a Tein customer, they lost me as a customer since rep, quality/craftmenship, all personal reviews and experiences are everything again, in general not just on the 2genIS.
          again, how you can apply your experience with a specific product application, apply it across the board for all products for that brand, and then use that as reference to give opinion about another product from the brand is beyond me, since again you make no sense.

and since you continue to support your assumption without any real factual evidence, here's some MORE numbers to prove my point (that tein s-techs for the 2is are NOT soft):

spring rates f/r, N/mm (1 kgf/mm = 9.806 N/mm):
          oem (linear): 45/47 (linear)
          f-sport/eibach (progressive): 47/66 (normal), 40/70 (load)
          tanabe nf210 (progressive): 48.0/56.9 (normal)
          tein s-tech (progressive): 63.7/66.6 (load)

if anything, ^ shows that the spring rates for the tein s-techs for the 2is are right up there with some of the more popular offerings for the 2is.

soft? really?

thanks for reading.
          Old 03-27-10 | 08:13 PM
          n0th1ng
          Lexus Test Driver

personally nvr had problems with Teins or Eibachs.
          Old 03-28-10 | 10:37 AM
          IS-SV
          Lexus Fanatic

I'm using Eibach 350's on my IS350 with good results. Not concerned about Honda applications.
          Old 03-30-10 | 11:28 PM
          mxis350
          Lead Lap

can you guys post pics of IS with the different springs on 19's?? Those H&R's look pretty good. Are the teins lower??

I just want my car to look good. I drive like a grandma. I used to be a crazy driver (raced a M3 on I-10 with traffic up to 154mph on my 350z) But now everyone gets pist at me for how calmly i drive...
          Old 03-30-10 | 11:47 PM
          projectdna
          Lexus Fanatic

plenty of pics here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...d-for-2is.html

you can find many more pics using the search function in the 2is suspension sub section using key words such as (but not limited to) "tein", "s-tech", "H&R", "f-sport", "tanabe", "megan", and "eibach".

best of luck with your search.

Quick Reply: What springs to get??