Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ksport coilovers or megans??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 05:25 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthony
im kinda enjoying mine a little too much right now lol
Haha nice! See there you go! Enjoy them. Have you set the dampers to full stiff yet?
Old 03-24-10, 05:35 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after going thru countless threads on the megan coils and the tanabe df springs/bilstein setup...i'm kind leaning towards the coils now.

i previously had coils on my other ride (teins) and tho the ride was ok, it was never like the spring/shock I had on it before (eibachs/agx).

but to hear such good things about the megans on the GS is a great thing...you guys are slowly convincing me, not completely yet but slowly turning me over to wanting the coils now --> i hate u!!!
Old 03-24-10, 06:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't worry I was in the same boat. I almost pulled on the Megans due to reviews, but eventually backed out to get something more worthwhile
Old 03-24-10, 06:28 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLcoats
They arent made by the same company. Ksport and Megan racing are two seperate companies. Ksport and Megans coilovers are similiar priced but Megan racing's coilovers for our particular cars a much better built than Ksports as far as durability and performance.
I believe Megans are made in a warehouse down the street... they're all within 1.5 km away from each other.... I've seen shipping docs from Ksport and D2 coming from same plant...

personally if your just doing normal driving and looking for some low, any one would do.... people hear about Megans blowing because they're pretty popular over in the 240 communities which leaked sales to other cars... the 240's track their cars often blow on Megans... most 240's won't touch Ksports.

Its all in the valving and R&D.... stick to a company that actually manufactures their own gear and not hire some Taiwanese plant to rebrand and powdercoat custom colors. This thread = fail.
Old 03-24-10, 06:44 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UptownGS
I believe Megans are made in a warehouse down the street... they're all within 1.5 km away from each other.... I've seen shipping docs from Ksport and D2 coming from same plant...

personally if your just doing normal driving and looking for some low, any one would do.... people hear about Megans blowing because they're pretty popular over in the 240 communities which leaked sales to other cars... the 240's track their cars often blow on Megans... most 240's won't touch Ksports.

Its all in the valving and R&D.... stick to a company that actually manufactures their own gear and not hire some Taiwanese plant to rebrand and powdercoat custom colors. This thread = fail.
im sorry if you dont like the thread i just wanted to see what people thought about the two, and which would be better for me. Now if i had tons of money to dump into my car then of course I would get the best of the best. But I am not going to spend all my money on my car(i would like to) but i cant. But for what i want i think i will be satisfied with megans..
Old 03-24-10, 06:47 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
im sorry if you dont like the thread i just wanted to see what people thought about the two, and which would be better for me. Now if i had tons of money to dump into my car then of course I would get the best of the best. But I am not going to spend all my money on my car(i would like to) but i cant. But for what i want i think i will be satisfied with megans..
dont' take it personal.... i gave my inputs.... this thread fails for other reasons....
Old 03-24-10, 06:55 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

na im not taking it personal i just feel like alot of other people said good things about it so i think i will be happy with it too.. Since I am not going to be tracking the car or driving it hard, and plus the fact I barely drive the car i thinks its about right for me..
Old 03-24-10, 08:06 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UptownGS
dont' take it personal.... i gave my inputs.... this thread fails for other reasons....
Then move on man, Theres really no need to bash on peoples threads...
Old 03-24-10, 08:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Then move on man, Theres really no need to bash on peoples threads...
Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
Agreed.

Come on man...don't bash on something just because it isn't as good as what you have.
Old 03-24-10, 08:56 PM
MaSfLOw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^
Old 03-24-10, 09:46 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Ok.... lets not all get our panties up in a bunch.... i'm not bashing this thread.... there was some mis information so I jumped in to offer the correct info to my knowledge regarding if Megans were the same as Ksports.... I said specifically if your looking to lower your vehicle for normal driving that any of those would do.... which means any of these coilovers would do the job....

then I addressed the part about why Megans are always heard about blowing and Ksports don't so I offered my .02 cents in there.... coming from a 240 myself I know a thing or two about these Megans.... they're alright for the money but not a true coilover for the performance minded....

so please get over it.... I dont know wtf made you guys all so defensive.... sheesh... I told the post originator that the comment about this thread = fail wasn't for him to take personal..... it fails for reasons not from him.

When did everyone on CL get so uptight.
Old 03-24-10, 10:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Very good point and I see no reason why anyone should be mad over what you said.

For the money, the Megans offer what most CL guys want: ability to slam, affordability, and well..affordability. No reason to spend $2000+ on a set of coilovers if the only thing you're going to do is commute 5 miles to work on a straight road.

There are a small group of CL guys who will appreciate the quality and performance of the higher-end coils and it shows because they actually track their cars and when you're turning at a sharp corner on a race track, you don't want to be 'testing' anything. You want something that's been R&D'ed to hell. Take no chances basically.

I'm choosing the latter, not because I track, but because I want something more proven and consistent as far as damper goes. To me, it's worth the extra money.
Old 03-25-10, 12:24 AM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

Default Ksport kpros

Looks like I got here late, but since I was the 1st to have the new models installed on a GS-I felt I had to chime in. I took my g equip ksports(black) on a 1000 plus mile trip (VIPCAR 03/10) and so far I've recorded over 6K on them and they ride like a dream. Air is cool, but I prefer the og style. Tanabe super lows is the suspension to have right now bar none. Wide range and very stiff(tomato/tomatoe) I filmed my boy ride on cali roads with my cell phone-you can get glimpse how well it rides... take look at how much those lights in my side view move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoqjtIjb8UU

stance: 3" of adj to spare

http://www.cmpixels.com/nggallery/pa...m-5/gallery-6/

Why Ksport and not Tanabe(just released) am I switching nope!! Not when Ksport offer a 18 month warranty yes 18months!!

Their press release...

May 13th, 2009
2010 Kontrol Pro Coilovers Announced
KSport’s all new Kontrol Pro Coilover for 2010

After a year of record-setting sales for KSport’s popular Kontrol Pro coilover suspension systems, KSport is proud to announce a revamped Kontrol Pro coilover system for 2010 that comes as a result of hundreds of hours in research and development, as well as customer feedback and industry technology improvements. In addition, many specific applications for the Kontrol Pro feature KSport’s patent-pending new flagship upper pillowball mountings system, the ProStreet pillow ball. Available on the market after June 1st 2009, all new Kontrol Pro coilover systems will feature the new design upgrades.

Starting with the most obvious visual change, the electro-plated steel shock and strut bodies on the Kontrol Pro will benefit from an all new plating technology that not only has proven to give stronger protection from the elements, but also changes the trademark silver body appearance, to a more subtle black color. Along with this new plating process and color change comes improved protection and durability for harsh environments such as snow, salt and dust, as well as protection from fluids and debris often seen in racing environments.

All Kontrol Pro coilover strut applications will receive two major upgrades: an increased strut body diameter and the ProStreet upper pillow ball mount. The 8% increase in strut body diameter comes directly from KSport’s racing development program and will provide extra strength for the high demand situations often seen with strut suspensions. Responding to customer feedback and KSport’s own research, the patent-pending ProStreet upper pillow ball mount featured on all new Kontrol Pro strut applications utilizes a special design in which the upper spherical bearing is housed inside a poly-rubber housing for increased ride comfort, without a sacrifice to performance. Of course, all strut applications utilizing camber adjustment will retain that ability with the ProStreet mount.

As with all KSport coilover systems, the warranty period has been extended from 12-months to 18-months, giving the Kontrol Pro coilover system the best warranty in the business. For more information about KSport products, please visit KSport on the web at ksport.com

Last edited by KNEXX; 03-25-10 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-25-10, 03:01 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Do the K sports have a separate ride adjustment like the Megans?
Old 03-25-10, 06:54 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

damn well i just got a message from ebay and they are out of stock.. so they had to refund me.. This sucks!!!!! i might have to go with ksport..

Quick Reply: ksport coilovers or megans??