Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ksport coilovers or megans??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 06:48 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know how the Ksports feel on full stiff? I am looking for coilovers and at first wanted megans but now i hear they might be a little to soft for my taste. My only hesitation is the history of Ksports failing Prematurely, maybe their new design has fixed this. How do they feeL?
Old 05-14-10, 07:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Megans are 12/10 spring rate. How hard do you want the suspension to be? 16/14???

Soft for one person will be hard for another. I use to like stiffer suspension, but as I learn more about suspension, stiffer isn't always better unless it's just pure preference.
Old 05-14-10, 07:55 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Megans are 12/10 spring rate. How hard do you want the suspension to be? 16/14???

Soft for one person will be hard for another. I use to like stiffer suspension, but as I learn more about suspension, stiffer isn't always better unless it's just pure preference.
Well, I like the way my dads infinity feels to drive. Firm and bumpy but stable. I am just so sick of how my car feels like right now with tein s tech springs. And they are 11k/9k spring rates. They feel very floaty and bouncy so I thought that higher spring rates would take care of this for me. It's just that I heard megans are pretty soft and I'm 17 so I like the sportier feel of firm suspension.
Old 05-14-10, 08:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Bouncy and floaty can be attributed to being under-damped. Stiffer springs do reduce body roll and such, but the oscillation will still be there. Too stiff and your ride will be harsh. That's one thing Infiniti has been criticized for. They increase spring rate to have that hard feeling. BMW is probably the best at achieving firmness while still having stability, and guess their spring rate. It's a lot closer to the 2GS spring rates than it is to the Infiniti

But if your primary goal is to only have stiffness at all cost, then you'll probably be happier with something like the Bilstein, custom spec BCR or D2 coilovers.
Old 05-14-10, 12:07 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Bouncy and floaty can be attributed to being under-damped. Stiffer springs do reduce body roll and such, but the oscillation will still be there. Too stiff and your ride will be harsh. That's one thing Infiniti has been criticized for. They increase spring rate to have that hard feeling. BMW is probably the best at achieving firmness while still having stability, and guess their spring rate. It's a lot closer to the 2GS spring rates than it is to the Infiniti

But if your primary goal is to only have stiffness at all cost, then you'll probably be happier with something like the Bilstein, custom spec BCR or D2 coilovers.
Thanks soo much for the help! I love how BMW's feel. Like you said firm but stable and not too harsh but really good for performance. Keeping that in mind what coilovers do you think will put me closest to a BMW/Infinity feel and performance? Would Megans be firm enough on full stiff dampening for me to Auto-X my car or would i be better off with something else? Which coilover do you think would be best for me and my needs? Thanks again for the help youre really helping clear up my questions!!
Old 06-01-10, 07:22 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just want to update this and i say i love my k-sports.. they ride awesome and considering how low my car is its REALLY smooth.. i didnt have to even mess with the preload. so i have full shock travel and no ride sacrifice