Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SPC Front camber + Megan rear suspension rods install photos + results

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 12:20 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
DO NOT perform this. This damages the rear crossmember. The mod is irreversible. Not only that but I'd hate to keep having to readjust the alignment everytime I go over a set of railroad tracks. I'm sure that bolt will not hold that arm in place when I'm at the road coarse driving the hell out of it.

The rear control arms for the IS300 have adjustable camber. If you're looking into making your rear camber adjustable, use the camber bolts and control arms for the IS300. Yeah, the ISx50 uses 5-link rear and the IS300 use wishbone rear but the rear control arms are adjustable.

Also using any sort of spherical rod end will be a harsher ride and will wear out from the dirt and grime getting in. You may use a teflon reinforced inner race equipped rod end (which costs more) but it too will eventually wear out.
The IS300 control arms are 5mm too narrow to use in the ISX50 application. Plus mine will be about the same cost and do much more...plus add back in an eccentric on the outside.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-13-10, 12:22 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The front caster is not adjustable but there is a positive 0.5 deg and negative 0.5 deg lower bracket that can be purchased. I've replaced both my front caster brackets with 0.5 deg positive brackets.

I've been eyeing the IS300 SPC adjustable ball joints for a while. Its good to see someone has already used them with success. I'm debating about installing a set on the next set of tires I'll be purchasing.
You'll be very pleased with the SPC balljoints my front tires look good as new.
Old 09-13-10, 06:33 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

DO NOT perform this. This damages the rear crossmember. The mod is irreversible. Not only that but I'd hate to keep having to readjust the alignment everytime I go over a set of railroad tracks. I'm sure that bolt will not hold that arm in place when I'm at the road coarse driving the hell out of it.

The rear control arms for the IS300 have adjustable camber. If you're looking into making your rear camber adjustable, use the camber bolts and control arms for the IS300. Yeah, the ISx50 uses 5-link rear and the IS300 use wishbone rear but the rear control arms are adjustable.

Also using any sort of spherical rod end will be a harsher ride and will wear out from the dirt and grime getting in. You may use a teflon reinforced inner race equipped rod end (which costs more) but it too will eventually wear out.
This IS reversible all you have to do is unbolt and pull the arm back out. Plus I probably will never go back, so I don't care.

This arm is not going anywhere after it is bolted down. There are teeth on the bushing of the LCA that dig into the cross-member and keep it in place.

I wouldn't do this if I did think it would work. Miami Chassis has been doing this to fix all the high end cars in Miami for 15-20 years now. Everytime I go to Miami Chassis I see Porsche's, Mercedes, BMWs, $80k plus cars getting their camber fix.

Plus I know at least 7 family members and buddies who have had this done and no issues what so ever.
Old 09-13-10, 08:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

If all you care about is reducing camber it will work. If you're going to actually drive the car, you'll be very disappointed. Supras have a cam adjustment system. Most alignment shops are staffed with idiots who think they know better than Toyota and don't tighten the adjustments to 166 ft-lbs as the FSM says. So the alignment goes to crap very quickly when the cams rotate and the original settings are lost. AMHIK.

This solution will work for someone who does not stress the car much. Don't expect it will hold at the track because it won't.
Old 09-13-10, 09:38 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front caster is not adjustable but there is a positive 0.5 deg and negative 0.5 deg lower bracket that can be purchased. I've replaced both my front caster brackets with 0.5 deg positive brackets.

I've been eyeing the IS300 SPC adjustable ball joints for a while. Its good to see someone has already used them with success. I'm debating about installing a set on the next set of tires I'll be purchasing.
PM'd.. but does anyone know what brackets he is talking about?

and maybe some product numbers for the negative brackets. thanks!
Old 09-19-10, 11:23 AM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Bump. Still no reply and wondering if anyone knows about these brackets
Old 09-28-10, 10:44 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

carchitect, if you received my pm.. please respond!
Old 09-30-10, 12:57 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We had a couple guys ask us about buying these balljoints recently, and it has worked for them as well apaprently with this method.

If anyone does want these SPC balljoints, we are an SPC dealer and we can get them for you
Old 09-30-10, 03:07 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
PM'd.. but does anyone know what brackets he is talking about?

and maybe some product numbers for the negative brackets. thanks!
I think he might be talking about drop blocks? PM Kameamalu, he mentioned that to me a few months back when we were talking about camber and what not.
Old 09-30-10, 03:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

No, he's talking about the bushing at the rear of the lower control arm. Lexus has different parts available for this to change caster if the factory setting does not meet factory specs. It's in a Lexus Service Bulletin.
Old 10-01-10, 06:06 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, he's talking about the bushing at the rear of the lower control arm. Lexus has different parts available for this to change caster if the factory setting does not meet factory specs. It's in a Lexus Service Bulletin.
can't find this service bulletin. i guess I should just call lexus and ask about this?
Old 10-27-10, 11:46 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I totally agree. That bolt will slide back and forth in the "new" oval shaped hole...no matter how tight you torque it down. One bump and the bolt will shift....and camber will be messed up again.

It MAY work if you replace the bolt with a flanged-type bolt with grooves that will "bite" into the lower suspension arm to prevent the shifting.....or, use the oem camber bolt of the IS300 or 2GS (thats IF its the right size and long enough).

Pete
Old 03-24-11, 07:36 AM
vinsanity2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tool did ya guys use to remove the old ball joint from the arm?

Is it this one (OEM/Ball Joint/ U-joint press tool set)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=557231_0_0_

Were there any special adapters needed like this one (OEM/ 4WD Ball Joint Adapter Set)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2514990

Or this adapter set (Ball Joint - Upper Adapter)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=948076_0_0_

Last edited by vinsanity2; 03-24-11 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-24-11, 09:14 AM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vinsanity2
What tool did ya guys use to remove the old ball joint from the arm?
all you need is a large socket to fit over the ball joint, big hammer, and a vice or something to place the a-arm. Hammer it out! You have to remove the rubber boot around the ball joint first.
Old 03-24-11, 10:26 AM
vinsanity2
Driver School Candidate

gotcha, thanks man

Quick Reply: SPC Front camber + Megan rear suspension rods install photos + results