Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Noise after replacing LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 04:12 PM
eemueller
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise after replacing LCAs

Hello all.

After reading all the great advise on these forums, I decided to tackle the front end on my 97 sc400 (118K miles). I replaced the lower control arms with new from Carson Toyota, installed Daizen bushings for the steering rack and sway bar, new sway bar links (stock), and KYB GR-2 struts (front & rear). Things went pretty smoothly and it sure is fun to drive now, but I have noticed one thing. When the car is cold, and I turn the steering wheel to (or close to) full right or left lock and slowly roll forward, I hear a metallic "hum" or high pitched vibration. It goes away as soon as I start to center the steering wheel. When the car is warm, the sound is gone. I thought maybe a brake pad is dragging, but it's difficult to tell. Has anyone had this issue?

Eric
Old 03-26-10, 04:41 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Pretty much sounds like power steering pump. Have you checked your fluid level lately? Are your PS lines leaking??
Old 03-26-10, 08:15 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It definitely sounds like the pump.

EDIT: Also, how much did Carson charge for the LCAs?
Old 03-27-10, 03:09 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MarcusMIA
It definitely sounds like the pump.

EDIT: Also, how much did Carson charge for the LCAs?
270 Each now i believe.

Definitely your pump, check your fluid and make sure it doesn't look like LA river water (super fricken dirty)
Old 03-27-10, 07:56 AM
eemueller
10th Gear

Thanks for the ideas. I was planning on flushing out the PS fluid on both my SC and my wife's RX today, so I'll see it that fixes it.

As for Carson, I was quoted $259+shipping for each. I can't remember how much the sway bar links were (not very expensive), but overall, I had a very positive experience with Carson.

I'll let you know what happens after I change PS fluid.

Eric
Old 03-28-10, 05:13 PM
eemueller
10th Gear

Well, I flushed out the P/S fluid (which did look like LA River water, and smelled like it) and that didn't fix the sound. It was raining today, so I couldn't do any meaningful diagnosis, but this metallic sound sounds like it could be the brake dust cover contacting something in the rolling stock. The reason I say this is because to sound occurs at very slow speed (just rolling with foot of the brake) and stops as soon as I stop the vehicle. Anybody run into anything like this?

Eric
Old 03-29-10, 03:22 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eemueller
Well, I flushed out the P/S fluid (which did look like LA River water, and smelled like it) and that didn't fix the sound. It was raining today, so I couldn't do any meaningful diagnosis, but this metallic sound sounds like it could be the brake dust cover contacting something in the rolling stock. The reason I say this is because to sound occurs at very slow speed (just rolling with foot of the brake) and stops as soon as I stop the vehicle. Anybody run into anything like this?

Eric
If this is true, then you should be able to produce the sound by rolling with the engine off and no PS involved....simple enough. (I'm still not convinced it isn't PS; it could still be that your pump is going out regardless of the fluid level/condition) Just find a sloped parking lot somewhere out of the way so you can roll with the engine off, and turn full left and right...it's good for the biceps lol.

As far as the brake shield, I'm assuming you've at least raised the front of your car, turned your wheels either fully left or right, and spun them to listen for contact?

Last edited by good2go; 03-29-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 09:41 AM
eemueller
10th Gear

Hi Good.

Excellent idea! I did check for contact with the dust cover and couldn't find anything wrong. I had my wife hold the wheel full lock while I pushed it around (whew!) and sure enough, there was the sound. I pulled the right front, inspected the brake, and found the caliper hung up on the lower slider. I had already cleaned and greased them when I did the brakes, but for some reason it was catching. I cleaned it again, reassembled, and presto... no more noise. I'm still not clear why it was only making this sound at full steering lock. As I understand it, the caliper doesn't know which way the rotor is pointing, but maybe with these floating front rotors, there is just enough movement when the tire is side-loaded to cause the caliper to bind. If it happens again, I'll probably replace the slider.

Eric
Old 03-30-10, 10:11 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I too am puzzled why there was any difference at full steering lock though . . . I'd also be looking now to make sure that
1) the rotor was seating perfectly on the hub
2) the wheel bearing on that hub wasn't loose/worn
3) the wheel is seating perfectly against the rotor/hub
4) the lugnuts are correct for your wheels and are torqued properly