Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Getting Brake Fade (AWD '08)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 03:40 PM
sagan
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting Brake Fade (AWD '08)

Let me start I've never been a fan of the brakes on the IS, it seems like the brake pedal has a lot of travel (almost floor) for normal braking.

In any case, I feel like I'm starting to get brake fade. The car has about 25K miles.

Could someone explain to me what causes brake fade late in brake pad life? Also what do you do to measure rotor run out and brake pad wear? I'd like to measure both and report back and see what everyone thinks.

I'm hoping that if the pads are low all I have to do is replace the pads (which I've done in the past on my cars without too much issue minus the gorilla amount of torque needed to loosen caliper bolts).

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-10, 05:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sagan
Let me start I've never been a fan of the brakes on the IS, it seems like the brake pedal has a lot of travel (almost floor) for normal braking.

In any case, I feel like I'm starting to get brake fade. The car has about 25K miles.

Could someone explain to me what causes brake fade late in brake pad life? Also what do you do to measure rotor run out and brake pad wear? I'd like to measure both and report back and see what everyone thinks.

I'm hoping that if the pads are low all I have to do is replace the pads (which I've done in the past on my cars without too much issue minus the gorilla amount of torque needed to loosen caliper bolts).

Thoughts?

The brakes on the 2IS are generally very good, if your pedal was going almost to the floor to start with you've got something wrong with them before even getting into your pads.

You certainly shouldn't be fading the brakes with any sort of normal driving either.
Old 04-01-10, 03:04 PM
sagan
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks

I'll check it next time I rotate tires. This morning the VSC light came on too but I think it's cause my gas tank is nearly empty although I know VSC in some aspects controls part of the ABS system so maybe there truly is an issue.
Old 04-01-10, 03:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

There's no maybe to this. If you have to push more than 2 inches to get braking, there's something seriously wrong with your brakes. VSC doesn't light for being out of gas. It only lights if there is something setting a DTC. You'd be wise to find out what it is before something more serious happens.
Old 04-01-10, 04:12 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

if you think you need new pad just go get the free one done on the front from the TSIB it for the brake dust and noise. you've got an 08 so they should be able to take care of it for you
Old 04-08-10, 12:13 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you are getting brake fade? From your description it sounds like you may have air in your brake lines. Have you ever messed with the brakes? Changed your own brake pads?

A good bleed may solve all of your problems, but then again we don't have all of the details.