Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help - Horrible Grinding Noise whenever I brake!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 04:12 PM
GirlDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Horrible Grinding Noise whenever I brake!

Here's the story: I drive a 2007 IS250. I was told at a previous oil change (at a local reputable mechanic) that I needed new back brakes, and would soon need the front brakes done, too. Because my car is no longer under warranty, I shopped around for the lowest cost possible. The shop I went to changed my front and back brakes, plus replaced the two front rotors (which they said were beyond being resurfaced). About a week later, whenever I stepped on the brakes, I would hear this loud grinding noise. I called and told the man who changed my brakes about this noise. At first, he told me that it was common to hear a grinding noise after new brakes are installed. A week later, the noise is even louder. I called to complain again, and ended up taking my car in for the man to hear the noise. He looked at the brakes, and said that one of them had a weird "crystalization" on it (and the new rotor on that front right wheel, also looked like there was a groove developing in it). He replaced the brake with a new one and sent me on my way. Another week later, I heard this loud grinding noise again. Immediately, I returned to the same shop. This time, the man took everything (brakes and rotors) off of my car to reinstall in (in case it wasn't done properly). He could not find a problem, and he could not give me a valid explanation as to why it was making the noise. Finally, he said that sometimes the rotors will make a noise on one side, but if he switched the rotors around, the noise might stop. So this is what he did. He put the rotor that was on the front right wheel, onto the front left... and vice-versa. A few days pass, and the loud noise returns, and is even worse! This time, I'm fed up, and take my car to the Lexus dealer. The dealer tells me that sometimes after-market brakes and rotors will cause the noise, but should work just the same. However, after examining my car, they said that the brakes did not fit properly and that was part of the loud grinding noise I heard. They also said that they didn't know why the rotors were replaced, because the Lexus rotors I had on the car should last up to 100,00 miles. My car's mileage is at about 55,000. The dealer went on to say that the shop who installed the new brakes and rotors on my car, used a copper lubricant on it, and the copper lubricant eats away at the parts, and could cause a huge problem if left there. So, the Lexus dealer replaced those after-market brakes and rotors with the Lexus parts, and "said" that they tried their very best to clean all of the copper lubricant off of the calipers. Thus far, I've spent a good $1,500 total. I just picked my car up from the dealer yesterday... And guess what?! The grinding noise is still there! I called up Lexus, and was instructed to return with the car - So I did. Now, they are telling me that it is possible that the calipers need to be replaced, because of this copper lubricant that was put on it. I guess my question is... Is this true? Does this lubricant ruin the brakes, rotors, calipers (and whatever else it touches on a Lexus), or are they lying to me, because they replaced and charged me for brakes and rotors that did not need to be replaced, when in fact, it was the caliper that was bad all along? I am told that calipers are very costly, especially on a Lexus. All of this is so stressing me out.
Old 04-01-10, 04:19 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

sorry to hear that but that why we on the forum call them stealership not dealership. and no i dont think the caliper need to be replace unless it seized. they already got you for the brake and wanna get you some more
Old 04-01-10, 04:24 PM
GirlDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, for your reply. But... The grinding noise is definitely coming from somewhere in that area of the car. I would appreciate it if anyone had any good guesses as to what is causing that noise.
Old 04-01-10, 05:23 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

ouch sorry to hear that...maybe you can talk to the manager of the lexus service dept. and ask them whats ur option on the caliper..you spend almost 2k on the brakes which is too much..maybe lawsuit if things didnt work out..suit the first shop for the damges? IMO...