Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Got an aftermarket Big brake kit and your wheels won’t fit. DYI

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 10:33 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im curious why you chose to weld new ears rather than fabricate a bracket like the ones for other BBKs.
Old 04-08-10, 04:30 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kwg
im curious why you chose to weld new ears rather than fabricate a bracket like the ones for other BBKs.
Actually fabricating a bracket was my first option I looked at. the problm is to push the caliper back deeper in the bracket would need to be longer. it already sets almost flush with the rotor opening, a longer bracket would have blocked the rotor from entering the calipers opening. Good plan otherwise, I explored a couple other routs as well, the one I took seemed like the only one that would work.
Old 04-10-10, 09:04 PM
sc300max
Rookie

Nice work! Looks awesome... the fabrication is great. It was a good idea to bolt the ears to the factory ones and weld it before cutting it (it thats what you did lol).
Old 04-10-10, 10:19 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Another great write up Scott! Fantastic idea, I'm going to do it to my car tomorrow. (heh)

Actually, I was wondering why you chose aluminum for the spacer instead of milling from a 1/2" piece of steel plate. Wouldn't you want to keep the expansion rates the same when they start to heat up? I understand that you'd want to reduce rotating mass of course...

-=Photon=-
Old 04-11-10, 07:32 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Photon440
Another great write up Scott! Fantastic idea, I'm going to do it to my car tomorrow. (heh)

Actually, I was wondering why you chose aluminum for the spacer instead of milling from a 1/2" piece of steel plate. Wouldn't you want to keep the expansion rates the same when they start to heat up? I understand that you'd want to reduce rotating mass of course...

-=Photon=-
The hat for the Rotor is aluminum. Since the hat and spacer are tight tolerance holes and the steel rotor is slotted for expansion, I figure it was better to keep the spacer aluminum so it would in theory expand with the hat. Steel would have been easier, I would have had it cut at work on our flat laser, we dont cut aluminum on our laser so I had to machine these at home. I did consider both materials.
Old 04-11-10, 07:33 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300max
Nice work! Looks awesome... the fabrication is great. It was a good idea to bolt the ears to the factory ones and weld it before cutting it (it thats what you did lol).
Thanks, Yep bolting the ears was the best way I could come up with the make sure the new ears were in the right location.
Old 04-11-10, 11:27 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
The hat for the Rotor is aluminum. Since the hat and spacer are tight tolerance holes and the steel rotor is slotted for expansion, I figure it was better to keep the spacer aluminum so it would in theory expand with the hat. Steel would have been easier, I would have had it cut at work on our flat laser, we dont cut aluminum on our laser so I had to machine these at home. I did consider both materials.
The hat is aluminum? Well that makes sense then. I had thought that with the parking brake shoes, it would be a steel piece.

The finished result looks quite good. I'll bet that the bite from those drag slicks will let the rear brakes contribute more than 30% of the stopping effort.

Keep on modding!

-=Photon=-
Old 04-11-10, 12:26 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott, As always you did a great job with the callipers and the rotors. One of the things I would be concerned about is the allen bolts on the rotor whether they would handle the extra width of the spacer under constant heavy braking. Upgrading to thicker ones would be an option I suppose but again that would be more work on the top.

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
Right on, thanks for the info. So that kit you bought, was that for the supra or the SC. Thats cool that they calibrate to our master cylinder spec's, but if there is a difference in Supra & SC's & your kit is for a supra, then maybe we would benifit from the supra m/c. Ive been thinking about doing this for awhile, the part is pretty cheep, i might try it.
I would like to know the answer for this too ... Is this big brake kit for a Supra or for an SC? Cheers

Last edited by edinlexv8; 04-11-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-11-10, 04:41 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was originally for an MKIV Supra. Bought from Twins-Turbo Motorsports off of their Supra after they secured a sponsor deal with Brembo. Then it went on my SC, which was never finished- Now it's time for someone to actually put them to use.

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 04-11-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-11-10, 05:04 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Then upgrading an SC to a supra TT big brake master cylinder would be a decent mod to get the best out of these brakes.
Old 04-11-10, 09:09 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edinlexv8
Then upgrading an SC to a supra TT big brake master cylinder would be a decent mod to get the best out of these brakes.

I have been in touch with the tech department at Stoptech and they said leave the stock master cylinder. Honestly I am not sure there is much difference in the master cylinders.
Old 04-11-10, 09:11 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edinlexv8
Scott, As always you did a great job with the callipers and the rotors. One of the things I would be concerned about is the allen bolts on the rotor whether they would handle the extra width of the spacer under constant heavy braking. Upgrading to thicker ones would be an option I suppose but again that would be more work on the top.
The pin is what is really carrying the load, I will keep a close eye on them and change them if needed but I hope I am good to go.
Old 04-12-10, 02:34 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Originally Posted by WsKSilent
I didn't read the whole thing, but is the old rear drum type brake still in use with the Stoptech? Can you just get rid of it when you go aftermarket disc use?
Dont know what you are talking about mate. There are no drum brakes on an SC. There rear has brake shoes for the handbrake. Not sure what you mean by drum brake.
Old 04-12-10, 04:18 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think thats what he means (getting rid of the cable driven parking brake). Id love to stick some 1 piston baller caliper for a parking brake, but a lot of them dont come in nice sizes to fit large rotors.

BTW Scott, great job. We had a discussion about this actually recently. Even down to relocating the ears. Just funny to see it happen a week later. Good choice on aluminum regardless, less moment moment of inertia.

Matt
Old 04-14-10, 12:09 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

dam thats pretty smart but it looks like some work.

Quick Reply: Got an aftermarket Big brake kit and your wheels won’t fit. DYI