Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Got an aftermarket Big brake kit and your wheels won’t fit. DYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 10:54 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RawkusX187
dam thats pretty smart but it looks like some work.
It was a lot of work< not sure if it was worth it?
Old 05-07-10, 07:32 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work but I have two questions.

Would it not have been easier just to add a spacer between the caliper and bracket to account for the distance you needed?

The other is do different types of aluminum have different heat capabilities? More of less is the aluminum that you made you hat spacer with the same type as the hat itself and will they expand at the same rate?
Old 05-08-10, 10:05 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoLongerA13bFan
Nice work but I have two questions.

Would it not have been easier just to add a spacer between the caliper and bracket to account for the distance you needed?

The other is do different types of aluminum have different heat capabilities? More of less is the aluminum that you made you hat spacer with the same type as the hat itself and will they expand at the same rate?
Spacer between caliper and bracket wouldnt work. The stock ears interfere with the everything, I really looked hard at this option first, couldnt see anyway to pull it off.

Regarding the Aluminum, there are differences in aluminum as far as strength, Not sure how much difference in exspansion they will see. I used 6061 which is high strength, I am still considering tig welding them to the hat to make them one.
Old 05-08-10, 10:56 AM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Spacer between caliper and bracket wouldnt work. The stock ears interfere with the everything, I really looked hard at this option first, couldnt see anyway to pull it off.

Regarding the Aluminum, there are differences in aluminum as far as strength, Not sure how much difference in exspansion they will see. I used 6061 which is high strength, I am still considering tig welding them to the hat to make them one.
Given what you are capable of doing would it not be better to just make a whole new hat? Or even see if Stoptech has anything that would work for your application. Could it cause a problem with the expansion rates if you Tig the two pieces together, being that there is now a section in the middle that has been heated to a high degree?
Old 05-08-10, 11:13 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoLongerA13bFan
Given what you are capable of doing would it not be better to just make a whole new hat? Or even see if Stoptech has anything that would work for your application. Could it cause a problem with the expansion rates if you Tig the two pieces together, being that there is now a section in the middle that has been heated to a high degree?
A whole new hat is possible but it seems like a lot of work for no real need. I don't think I will have any problems with this set up as it is. If I have problems I will then explore other options, till then I want to focus my time on getting the project completed.
Old 05-08-10, 01:20 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
A whole new hat is possible but it seems like a lot of work for no real need. I don't think I will have any problems with this set up as it is. If I have problems I will then explore other options, till then I want to focus my time on getting the project completed.
I understand that. Awesome work on the car, it is an inspiration to alot of us.
Old 03-02-11, 05:34 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

bumped, had a guy looking for this thread.