Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What would I gain/lose from changing to f-sport/bilstein from megans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10 | 05:26 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Default What would I gain/lose from changing to f-sport/bilstein from megans?

Hi everyone,
I was just browsing the sewell website and noticed that the price for the bilstein/f-sport combo isnt far off from the megan price. Was just wondering what I would gain or lose from switching to the f-sport/bilstein combo.
I know ride height isnt adjustable, but I really just need there to be no wheel gap. my preferred ride height is my current one:

Will I still need to rebuild the shocks every so often?
Has anyone done this already? (gone from coilovers to bilstein/f-sport combo or vice versa)

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-06-10 | 08:06 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

coils you have the ability to change the dapening, 32points of dampening actuallly. i would honestly stick to getting coils. even if your gunna stay around spring drop height
Old 04-06-10 | 08:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

It's a matter of getting your drop that you want. If the drop doesn't satisfy you, you're not going to like the spring/shock combo. That's the advantage coilovers have. You can adjust them to your likings as far as ride height goes.

If the springs could drop your car to the height you want, and you have no intention of changing ride height ever, get the spring/shock combo. You lose adjustability, but you get a damn better damper than the Megans, even if it has 32-ways or so advertised. In fact when some people dyno-plot those shocks, the first 10 clicks don't do what they're suppose to do, or even anything at all. But hey, you have the rest of the 22-ways to play with

Bilstein has a much higher quality control than Megan does. They are some of the most consistent performing shocks available. If you do get leaky shocks, you can just replace it, and it may be cheaper than having the Megans rebuilt.

There are LOTS of happy Megan owners out there, but you do occasionally have premature failures. Some people have had to change their damping setting to compensate for wear and tear.

If you want adjustability at a more affordable price, then the Megans will suit you. After all, they are popular for that reason.

Last edited by GSteg; 04-06-10 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-06-10 | 09:40 AM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

^ very informative, thanks
Old 04-06-10 | 01:07 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Hm, so are there coilovers with comparable quality to the bilsteins for our cars? I'm thinking that when my megans start getting crappy I'll just get the best coilovers available..
Old 04-06-10 | 10:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I don't know all the applications for the 2IS, but there should be a few coilovers out there that are equivalent to bilsteins in quality, but they are quite pricey. Most are 2x, if not more than Megan coilovers. You may not even utilize most of the its potential to make the purchase worthwhile.