Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How long before balljoints fail completely?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 12:54 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my GS only 79K miles, but been making that clunk noise when I turn the wheel for a while, could it be the balljoints as well ?

can someone post the part # for : lower control arms, upper control arms, steering rack bushings, balljoints pretty pls ? I did some search, can't find it yet...
Old 05-06-10, 12:39 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, I did go ahead and replace both front outer tie-rod ends and lower ball joints on our 02 GS430.

However, I still here creaking noises from the front end. It is noticable while backing up, turning and driving forwards. I was expecting to have fixed the problem, but clearly there are other issues as well.

To those who have had this same experience, have you found it to often be bushings, upper balljoints/control arms or something else?

I see where Lexus sells the front lower control arms as well as the front lower control arm bushings. My question is this, if I purchase the enitire lower control arms, do they include new bushings, or are they sold seperately? Is there a reason i would need to replace the entire lower control arms opposed to just purchasing new bushings for them?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Last edited by jjbenzo; 05-06-10 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 05:29 AM
DRELOC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, I still here creaking noises from the front end. It is noticable while backing up, turning and driving forwards. I was expecting to have fixed the problem, but clearly there are other issues as well

This is the symptom i have also, loud creaking noise especially when turning and i wanted to make sure it's the ball joints and outer tie rods are the issue before i start replacing it.
Old 05-15-10, 01:14 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My lower ball joints and outer tie rods were definently bad. The plastic boots were broken, grease had leaked out, ect...

But, this did not fix my probem, or not all of my problems entirely as I am still getting creaking noises from the front suspension/steering.

Anyone have any comments on what may still be causing all of my creaking? Does this sound like upper ball joints now? I plan on taking the front wheels off next week to have a look around.