Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Piston wont compress

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 10:12 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Piston wont compress

Oh this is going to be fun. So I started to do my brake system over haul today and from the minute I took the first wheel off I knew it was going to be bad.

The first thing I noticed was that the bleeder is gone......yup thats right somewhere along my SC's 13 years of life the bleeder got ripped off, so now I need to figure out how to remove the remaining piece so I can install a new one.

The brake hose has a tear in it and one of the pistons is stuck in the caliper lol. It figures one comes out no problem............other wellllll im still working on that lol.

An ideas how to get the stuck piston out? I have tried to compress it with 3 different c clamps and the damn thing wont budge all.

Here is a picture before I started to take them apart...........nice an rusty
Old 04-16-10, 10:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbcaliper.html

step 9 and on.
Old 04-16-10, 10:20 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
THANK YOU, I will give it a shot and let you know
Old 04-17-10, 12:41 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

So I finally have all the parts to overhaul my brakes and rebuild my calipers and the minute I took my tire off the fun started lol.

So I remove the front passengers side tire and the first thing I notice is my Bleeder is gone........sometime in the past 13 years the bleeder got to rusty and broke off, right there I knew this was going to be a fun day lol.

I look at the brake hose and notice it is starting to rip........oh fun.

So I continue on to removing all the bolts to take the caliper off.............well wouldnt you know it, the caliper is stuck and will not budge. FINALLY after wrestling with the caliper I got it off and this is what I see.

both pistons look like pure crap. I then started the blow the pistons and only one came out the other would not move AT ALL.

I ended up having to use vice grips to remove the stuck pistont. Here a few pictures of how bad this caliper is................I'm starting to think that I may have to buy Remanufactured calipers because for the life of me I cant get the Bleeder out, any thoughts on how to remove the other part of the bleeder screw? I have already tried Easy Outs and they dont work.

My plan was to rebuild the calipers and paint them black with G2 paint, but judging by the pictures do you think its worth it? I dont mind putting the time into rebuilding them if they are going to last.

I would love to replace the wheel bearings while I have it all apart but from reading it seems like I would have to get a press
Old 04-17-10, 01:01 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. im surprised you were still able to have some kind of pedal feel with one bleeder ripped off. id just replace the whole caliper with a quality remanufactured unit. cause your pistons look to be in bad shape.
Old 04-17-10, 02:55 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HellFish
wow. im surprised you were still able to have some kind of pedal feel with one bleeder ripped off. id just replace the whole caliper with a quality remanufactured unit. cause your pistons look to be in bad shape.
I can only imagine what the other side looks like........I think tomorrow I'm going to Napa and picking up a reman set.
Old 04-18-10, 10:20 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered 2 semi loaded calipers, 2 new brake hose and shims..............when its all said in done I will have paid $161 for everything and I'm also getting a $50 AAP coupon, not bad.

how are A-1 CARDONE calipers?
Old 04-18-10, 05:18 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

You rebuild it? It didn't look like its worth rebuilding. You could have bought one from the yard or through Aliga or maybe even do an LS BBK instead... Cool info/pix tho.
Old 04-18-10, 05:26 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by masagsxr
You rebuild it? It didn't look like its worth rebuilding. You could have bought one from the yard or through Aliga or maybe even do an LS BBK instead... Cool info/pix tho.
No i was thinking about rebuilding them, until I saw how how bad they really are.

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 05-05-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 06:00 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Oh do'h!!! Good choice... You could have went with LS calipers tho. Those go for like $100 (plus rotors and pads). Or I sould have sold you my 99 SC4 calipers
Old 04-18-10, 06:02 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Oh do'h!!! Good choice... You could have went with LS calipers tho. Those go for like $100 (plus rotors and pads). Or I sould have sold you my 99 SC4 calipers
I thought about going with the LS setup but isnt there a clearance issue the SC stock wheels?

Although if you have 2 good condition Steering knuckles I might interested lol
Old 04-23-10, 10:07 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

damn i wish i new u needed these i have a full set of front brakes for 105.00 shipped new calipers and rotors i went to a ls kit
Old 04-23-10, 10:13 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by t70 supra
damn i wish i new u needed these i have a full set of front brakes for 105.00 shipped new calipers and rotors i went to a ls kit
I wish i knew too .................I just finished the install today. You dont by chance have a rear setup for sale do you?
Old 04-23-10, 10:20 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

just rotors but i can get my stockers off
Old 04-23-10, 10:22 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by t70 supra
just rotors but i can get my stockers off
Any pictures of the rotors?