Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

400-500 to fix camber?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 11:32 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400-500 to fix camber?

Ok, So I have no clue what I'm talking about. Here are the facts... I have air suspension. I bought a digital controller which tells me which psi I ride at. I set the psi evenly an yet my rear tires wear like crazy. Yes I drive low. I took my car for aligment and the guy told me that I have to fix my camber or my tires will be eaten quick. I guess camber is when your wheels cave in like this / \ He said he will get my tires looking straight and thus it will avoid tire wear. How true is this? I am so confused I thought tires where supposed to cave in like that, and there was nothing you could do about it, My rear tires are the only ones giving me problems btw
Old 04-19-10, 12:29 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need some RCA's (aka SS kit) to help out on that negative camber.
Old 04-19-10, 02:45 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To fix camber....don't roll like this.... /---\

Rear RCA can help you roll at low height...and be like this.... |---|
Old 04-19-10, 05:48 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Ok, So I have no clue what I'm talking about. Here are the facts... I have air suspension. I bought a digital controller which tells me which psi I ride at. I set the psi evenly an yet my rear tires wear like crazy. Yes I drive low. I took my car for aligment and the guy told me that I have to fix my camber or my tires will be eaten quick. I guess camber is when your wheels cave in like this / \ He said he will get my tires looking straight and thus it will avoid tire wear. How true is this? I am so confused I thought tires where supposed to cave in like that, and there was nothing you could do about it, My rear tires are the only ones giving me problems btw
Camber isnt the biggest reason of why you can go thru tires. Toe and caster wear tires much quicker than camber does. You need to get an alignment at drive height and post the specs here. I ride on air as well, and my camber in the rear at drive height is -2.2* which is not much, I dont have any issues with tire wear.
Old 04-19-10, 07:00 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Camber isnt the biggest reason of why you can go thru tires. Toe and caster wear tires much quicker than camber does. You need to get an alignment at drive height and post the specs here. I ride on air as well, and my camber in the rear at drive height is -2.2* which is not much, I dont have any issues with tire wear.
Do you have a camber kit or anything? Or just alignment. Last time I had my 20's I went through my rears in 3 weeks!
Old 04-19-10, 07:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

3 weeks? Sounds like a major toe problem to me. Even at somewhat extreme camber angles, you should last more than 3 weeks.

Got any alignment sheet?
Old 04-19-10, 07:45 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go to a different ship that knows what they are doing.
Old 04-19-10, 08:26 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

like spyder said, cambver does eat up tires but not even close to what toe will do, and if you goto a shop that actually knows performance and lowerd cars they will actually toe in your wheels a little to help with camber, im at -3.0 in the rear and i dont go through tires that fast.. i also do my own alignments
Old 04-19-10, 09:34 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No I have no camber kits. You need to go to a different shop and get a proper alignment shop, because whoever you are using now doesn't know how to properly align. Even at ride height my toe and caster is pretty much within specs for the Gs.
Old 04-19-10, 05:32 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Your best bet is to do an alignment right now and see what those numbers look like.
Old 04-19-10, 10:37 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Spyder78
No I have no camber kits. You need to go to a different shop and get a proper alignment shop, because whoever you are using now doesn't know how to properly align. Even at ride height my toe and caster is pretty much within specs for the Gs.
Do you have pics of your ride height? I drive low.

Im getting alignment tomm. Driving low sure aint" easy!

Last edited by EN_VY; 04-19-10 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 10:38 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

show a pic on how low u drive..
Old 04-19-10, 10:53 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

I dont think I have one now, ill get one tomorrow, thanks guys!

Edit: Actually I found another member here that has same color and same rims! Here is his car and I drive like this in the back(just a tiny bit lower, I make my rims be perfeclty aligned with the fender). Come to think about it, some people here go lower!

Last edited by EN_VY; 04-19-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 11:40 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Another question, hope someone reads this... Im getting my alignment done soon, and I am going to set my ride height and then align. Thing is, I have a digital pressure reader, and in the back I may set 65 psi, but the height on the left rear is maybe half an inch higher.

Should I set my ride height based on psi reading or on the way the rims look(aligned to the fender)? If I would go the psi route, then I have 65 in the right rear, and 58 on the left rear... I have no clue why its like that.
Old 04-20-10, 11:59 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Another question, hope someone reads this... Im getting my alignment done soon, and I am going to set my ride height and then align. Thing is, I have a digital pressure reader, and in the back I may set 65 psi, but the height on the left rear is maybe half an inch higher.

Should I set my ride height based on psi reading or on the way the rims look(aligned to the fender)? If I would go the psi route, then I have 65 in the right rear, and 58 on the left rear... I have no clue why its like that.
The car doesn't weight the same at each corner. Even at stock height with stock springs you may get a slight difference in ride height at each corner. That is way racers corner balance their cars. IMHO though, you can set it either way. 3PSI isn't going to make much difference in terms of handling feel so if you want the even look, set it the way you want.

Also, if you are riding that low as in the pictures, you will need a camber kit.

Even if others are riding lower, they are just putting up with the out of spec alignment. I don't think you can even set the rear toe to within specs riding that low. As others have said, the toe setting also affects inner tire wear probably more than camber. A toe out setting will cause the inner tire to be scrubbing every time you drive, thus wearing down the inner tire. Bad toe setting and bad camber just makes it that much worse. Getting at least your toe corrected will help your tire wear tremendously, but it will still not be as good as getting your toe and camber corrected.

Quick Reply: 400-500 to fix camber?