Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 06:56 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?-updated pics, fsport on 17s

Hey guys, I can not make up my mind on this situation. I want a conservative drop on my car with either eibach or fsport. The local dealership quoted me $650 for install and $120 for alignment (total 770) and a rim shop quoted me $300 cash for both install and alignment. With stories of adaptive headlights getting messed up (think I read that somewhere in the forum) and with warranty issues im leaning towards dealership. With the dealership install, is 470 worth the peace of mind? Then again what can really go wrong with a spring install isn't it pretty straight forward. I did the whole tuner thing when I was younger on my older cars but that got old because my cars ran into problems later on.

What do you guys think dealer or rim shop?

On a side note do you guys think eibach is a better choice because I never read any stories of clunking noises with eibach like what is seen with fsport.

Last edited by relaxfoo; 05-05-10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 09:03 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealership is a rip off period. It is a very simple process. There is a quick fix for the clunking fsport springs. I have them and they do not clunk even without the fix. If you want a lower stance, get the eibach for the is250, but if not get the fsport or eibach for the is350

Last edited by darkdream; 04-19-10 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-19-10, 09:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Eibach 350 has same drop as F-Sport (1.0" front, 0.8" rear), no clunking on the Eibach 350's I bought in May 2009. Regarding the F-Sports that clunk, you will find a TSB stating new rear springs for those that have the problem.

Yes, expect the dealership to charge about 2x for the installation and alignment. The preferred choice is a tire/wheel shop that has the experience with this kind of work.
Old 04-19-10, 09:59 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I recommend Eibach also, my F-sport clunks but only when I go over high bumps, normally I don't hear it on the road or over pot holes.
Old 04-19-10, 10:09 AM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealership will charge way more, but the parts and labor I believe will be warrantied. IMO for springs shouldn't really be an issue using an independent and forgo warranty stuff.. As for the clunks, I also believe if you put silencers near the top of the springs you should be fine.
Old 04-19-10, 10:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cdeeznuts
The dealership will charge way more, but the parts and labor I believe will be warrantied. IMO for springs shouldn't really be an issue using an independent and forgo warranty stuff.. As for the clunks, I also believe if you put silencers near the top of the springs you should be fine.
Eibach 350 springs have warranty for defects also. And the best independent shops will stand behind their labor/work.
Old 04-19-10, 01:37 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darkdream
Dealership is a rip off period. It is a very simple process. There is a quick fix for the clunking fsport springs. I have them and they do not clunk even without the fix. If you want a lower stance, get the eibach for the is250, but if not get the fsport or eibach for the is350
I have an IS250, so eibach will give me a lower drop than Fsports? I was under the impression that both springs give the same drop. In general wouldnt both springs drop the IS250 more than IS350? Or did I just make that up?

Thanks guys for the input.
Old 04-19-10, 01:55 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

hey relaxfoo. take yur car to a reputable independent shop to install the springs. should run u about 150ish. Alignment should also cost u $70. Dealerships will rip u off. do not get raped by the dealership.
Old 04-19-10, 01:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
I have an IS250, so eibach will give me a lower drop than Fsports? I was under the impression that both springs give the same drop. In general wouldnt both springs drop the IS250 more than IS350? Or did I just make that up?

Thanks guys for the input.
Check out the Eibach website for applications, etc.

Eibach 350 1.0" front / 0.8" rear
Eibach 250 1.4" front / 1.0" rear
Old 04-29-10, 08:19 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Against everyone's advise I got the f sport springs done at the dealership. The rim shop I originally scheduled for installation had some bad reviews online and I was too lazy to go searching for another one. It was expensive but I am happy with the results plus I was able to get the TSIB springs. I'll post before and after pics of the TSIB f sport springs on stock 17's if anyone is interested.
Old 04-29-10, 08:41 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
Against everyone's advise I got the f sport springs done at the dealership. The rim shop I originally scheduled for installation had some bad reviews online and I was too lazy to go searching for another one. It was expensive but I am happy with the results plus I was able to get the TSIB springs. I'll post before and after pics of the TSIB f sport springs on stock 17's if anyone is interested.
Post up some pictures, i am in the market for getting some springs for my car.
Old 04-29-10, 09:00 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

no prob ill post next week when I get a chance to take after pics
Old 05-01-10, 06:44 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely keen to see some pics too buddy
Old 05-05-10, 04:09 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Here are the before and afters of the TSIB f sport springs. The drop was about .8 inch front and 1inch in back. Next step is black 19's and maybe GFX rear lip.
?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?-2.jpg
Before
?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?-2a.jpg
After
?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?-4.jpg
Before
?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?-4a.jpg
After
?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?-3a.jpg
After
Old 05-05-10, 08:08 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

nice pic of your car. looks good. i am sure when u get 19 in wheels, it would look much better. Are those 17s right now ?

Quick Reply: ?Install fsport springs at dealership or at a rim shop?