Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So i installed BC Coilovers lastnight!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 01:20 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are getting clunking, you need to check the preload(how much the spring is compressed) If you do a search i believe there are other members who had clunking issues with AWD models. I dont know if they ever solved the problem but the clunking is probably due to bolts/nuts not being tighted enough and the preload.
Old 04-19-10, 01:26 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, how do i check the preload? right now the height where the car is sitting is pretty good. other then the clunking so changing where the spring is would change the height wouldn't it?
Old 04-19-10, 01:29 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No, you would need to take off your coilovers and again and measure how much the spring is compressed.

Like another member said, you should loosen the lower spring perch( the two locking rings below the springs) and then tighten until you reach 3-5mm preload.

You should also check all bolts to make sure they are tight. Try to get ahold of a torque wrench so everything can be tightened to spec.
Old 04-19-10, 01:34 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the clunking has nothing to do with pre-load. i have these coilovers and i have 5mm of pre-load (exactly what BCR recommends) and i still have the clunking.

i notice it mainly from the rears the most. i just live with it, its normal.

wish it wasn't that way, but its normal. i brought it to the shop for them to re-check the install and everything was perfect.. its just the name of the game w/ these...
Old 04-19-10, 01:38 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i have a slightly clunking noise when going over speed bumps mainly on the rear drivers side of my GS
Old 04-19-10, 01:41 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i have a slightly clunking noise when going over speed bumps mainly on the rear drivers side of my GS
yup, it usually happens to me at slow speeds, going over rough roads
Old 04-19-10, 01:46 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

bc told me it was the same thing about preload but i never changed mine so i knew it wasnt that and i know everything is tight so i dont know what is causing it. i pretty muched ignored the noise.
Old 04-19-10, 01:51 PM
DJKIBBLES
Pole Position

ive been riding on BC COILS and its been pretty decent... only thing is that the STIFFEST ISNT REALLY STIFF as i would like it to be... wish it could have been more stiff but no problems here *knocks on wood*
Old 04-19-10, 01:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by imports4me
sorry man im so newbie. what do you mean by bushings reset. im getting clunking on all 4 corners. anything i can do.

Before you tighten the shock bolts, or any other bolts in fact, put a jack under the control arm and raise up the arm until the car starts to lift. At this point, torque the bolts. Resetting the bushings is essential because you dont' want them to be twisting when the car is on the ground. Most people fail to to this and as a result, they think their suspension is 'settling' when in fact it's the bushings deforming.

I can't tell you what the clunking issue since it could be anything.
Old 04-19-10, 02:13 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Do you have the steering wheel vibration after the coils install?

My BC coils does not clunk at any speed and during the winter too.

Originally Posted by imports4me
ok, how do i check the preload? right now the height where the car is sitting is pretty good. other then the clunking so changing where the spring is would change the height wouldn't it?
Old 04-19-10, 02:22 PM
djbugz
Pole Position

Clunking noise? I'm going to have to rethink BCRs.. I thought I was sold on 'em, but I may have to consider other options..
Old 04-19-10, 02:26 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

i drove it home lastnight and drove to work all of a total of maybe 15mins, haven't noticed wheel vibs. well imma go and take my cuz for a ride tonight so he can hear it. he says that all coils are like that. his GTR and NSX had the same thing too. but i drove his cars many of times and they are not what im getting.

anyways, ill let you guys know the out come. ARRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!
Old 04-19-10, 02:34 PM
djbugz
Pole Position

Thanks for the update.. I'd really like to know, so I can start looking at Megans or Tein again...
Old 04-19-10, 02:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Not all coils have noises. My coilovers on my 2GS have no noise and they even come with pillowball mounts. But I haven't really encountered anyone else with noises on their BC.

Keep us posted!
Old 04-19-10, 02:45 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

i dont think they are supposed to be like this. the thing is were not even done with my set up. we just simply swap out the oem with the aftermarket. i didn't even touch the front height, i played around with the rear height and i put it back to where it was at. Im sure these are great coils, i just have to figure out what we did or didn't do prior to installing. a member stated that there is not anything that we use from the oem susp so hopefully that is right.

it just sounds like a metal hitting metal when i hit all ripples on the road.

Quick Reply: So i installed BC Coilovers lastnight!!