Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So i installed BC Coilovers lastnight!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 03:16 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

what your damp setting at hard or soft? and with any drop car your going to get some noise. cause your altering the ride from factory setting. so if you think after dropping your car it going to be quiet and smooth like factory then think again
Old 04-19-10, 04:07 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
what your damp setting at hard or soft? and with any drop car your going to get some noise. cause your altering the ride from factory setting. so if you think after dropping your car it going to be quiet and smooth like factory then think again

i've driving many dropped cars. i've owned many dropped cars, what im hearing is not what its supposed to be like everyday on every bump. theres no way. if it was a one bump thing i would understand, but this is at every ripple in the road the front would clunk and then the rear....

i have it set at 15 clicks ...the middle
Old 04-19-10, 04:12 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

i dont get that with mine and im running bcr. i get a clunk if i hit a deep pot hole. try taking your damp to softer setting im running 8 front from the softest and 5 from the softest in the rear
Old 04-19-10, 04:16 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laobo979
i dont get that with mine and im running bcr. i get a clunk if i hit a deep pot hole. try taking your damp to softer setting im running 8 front from the softest and 5 from the softest in the rear
ill try that thanks man....
Old 04-19-10, 07:36 PM
Sh0gunkid
Rookie

Thinking of getting these as well. How bad is this clunking thing? Is it a slight sound or is it something loud and noticeable?
Old 04-20-10, 01:11 AM
AK-47
Lexus Test Driver

about that clunk noice, many of you said that you got that noice, is that normal for all aftermarket coil's?

also I'm about to get Tein SS, would there be any chance that it will ride like stock? and what is the setting to have then set like stock setup for the Tein SS?
Old 04-20-10, 03:43 PM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

anymore updates here??? What's going on with the clunking sound now??

Please keep us updated!!

Thanks
Old 04-20-10, 06:49 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

i changed the damp to 8front and 5 rear and it is alot better now. i still need pla around with it. i had it at 15/15 and it was really bad.

what else are you guys using for damps?

right now at 8/5 its ok and clunks on the big holes. maybe im just not used to it or maybe i been just so happy with the stock susp that im not used to this. im sure once i play around with it more ill find a spot that suits me.
Old 04-21-10, 10:38 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Let me ask you this.. Did you purchase these with pillow ball uppers or rubber mounts. On the 2IS or GS or any other car with a double wishbone, rubber upper mounts are really the only option you should consider. Usually its the pillowball that makes noise because of the tolerance on the ball and race and variance in termperature etc.

I only sell the rubber mounts into this application as well as figure out how you will be using the vehicle. Based On this I calc spring rates for your application and BC makes them. This is the advantage of BC over any other coilover, they offer customization and you do not pay for it.

I run these on my ISF and have personal experience with the product, unlike other vendors here. I actually engaged BC to create the ISF application which is properly suited for the vehicle, not just a resold version of the IS250 BR which most CL vendors though they could quickly pass off and sell here making their customers upset with the results. If you are considering BC or any coilover, please talk to me first. Other vendors here seem to just take your money and throw up there hands when you have problems....like were are the other vendors in this thread.

Coilovers are not complicated once you know what you are doing. With the BC product, once spring preload is set (to keep the spring tight through travel) ride height should be adjusted via the lower collar. Just let me know which version you ordered. I can get you the rubber mounts separatly, but you should have been sold these to begin with.

Here to help,
Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-22-10, 07:35 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

i honestly dont even know what i was given. i just simply ordered not knowing there was 2 different mounts. i wasn't giving any extra mountings other then the 4 shocks and coils. does that help you.

as for preloading, we didnt do any of this, we just switched out the stock and in with the aftermarket.

can you suggest what i should do. right now im running 8 front and 5 rear. its ok but i can still hear noise and clunks on rough areas. can suggestions on what damp i should set at.

thank man.

Originally Posted by FIGS
Let me ask you this.. Did you purchase these with pillow ball uppers or rubber mounts. On the 2IS or GS or any other car with a double wishbone, rubber upper mounts are really the only option you should consider. Usually its the pillowball that makes noise because of the tolerance on the ball and race and variance in termperature etc.

I only sell the rubber mounts into this application as well as figure out how you will be using the vehicle. Based On this I calc spring rates for your application and BC makes them. This is the advantage of BC over any other coilover, they offer customization and you do not pay for it.

I run these on my ISF and have personal experience with the product, unlike other vendors here. I actually engaged BC to create the ISF application which is properly suited for the vehicle, not just a resold version of the IS250 BR which most CL vendors though they could quickly pass off and sell here making their customers upset with the results. If you are considering BC or any coilover, please talk to me first. Other vendors here seem to just take your money and throw up there hands when you have problems....like were are the other vendors in this thread.

Coilovers are not complicated once you know what you are doing. With the BC product, once spring preload is set (to keep the spring tight through travel) ride height should be adjusted via the lower collar. Just let me know which version you ordered. I can get you the rubber mounts separatly, but you should have been sold these to begin with.

Here to help,
Fig
Old 04-22-10, 08:29 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by imports4me
i honestly dont even know what i was given. i just simply ordered not knowing there was 2 different mounts. i wasn't giving any extra mountings other then the 4 shocks and coils. does that help you.

as for preloading, we didnt do any of this, we just switched out the stock and in with the aftermarket.

can you suggest what i should do. right now im running 8 front and 5 rear. its ok but i can still hear noise and clunks on rough areas. can suggestions on what damp i should set at.

thank man.
Well if you did not specify and your dealier did not, then the default option is pillowball. This is why you have clicks. Its not a big deal meaning it is not damaging anything. They should come preloaded from the factory and in the case of the version for the ISF everything was good to go with a small drop up front (1") and a 0.5" drop in the rear. But the springs were preloaded and the collars were set.

I can get you some rubber mounts to swap them out or contact your vendor to see if they will exchange things. If its teh springs loose in the shock due to improper preload, which could also be the case if you touched the upper collar instead of the lower one to adjust ride height, then you should correct that first, then adjust the ride height via the lower collar.

luckily I have a picture to demonstrate
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-22-10, 10:12 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

holy ****....looking at the pic. you adjust the height by the lower thing and not where the upper 2 rings are?

OK so if i can remember when we installed the shocks, i didn't touch the rings at all on the fronts but the rears i touch the uppers but my cuz told me to put it back, but i just eye balled the location where i thought it came as.

so you dont even touch the 2 upper rings? those arn't the rings you adjust to change ride height. you only adjust the bottom ring to adjust?

then what are the 2 rings really for?

holy cow man, you are a susp king....
Old 04-22-10, 10:17 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Once the preload is set you will never have to adjust that again for height adjustment you only touch the lower rings and twist the whole shock body to adjust it lower/higher.
Old 04-22-10, 11:12 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get the coils from?

If you adjusted the top 2 rings then you changed your preload and you need to verify that ALL 4 corners are preloaded orrectly.

The recommended preload from BCR is about 3-5mm. Make sure all 4 corners are approximately the same.
Old 04-22-10, 11:22 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

ok, so i didn't touch the fronts but i did move the rears, how do i preload the fronts now? moving the top 2 rings up 3-5 mm? as for the rears i did touch it and i did put it back to where i think it was.....how do i put it back to exactly what it was? then do i move it up 3-5mm..

sorry im such a dummy when it comes to this stuff.
So those 2 top rings you dont touch at all after the 3/5 movement up (preloading)

and to adjust the ride height is only done by the very bottom ring(the ring by itself)

i got it from a vendor on here.

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Where did you get the coils from?

If you adjusted the top 2 rings then you changed your preload and you need to verify that ALL 4 corners are preloaded orrectly.

The recommended preload from BCR is about 3-5mm. Make sure all 4 corners are approximately the same.

Quick Reply: So i installed BC Coilovers lastnight!!