Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So i installed BC Coilovers lastnight!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 08:31 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i installed BC Coilovers lastnight!!

Hey guys, just wanted to share with you my installation on the BC coils. still not sitting exactly where i want it because we didn't fully set the height because my 19" wheels are arriving today or tomorrow. once that comes we'll set the height and ill take it in for alignment.

The car is clunking on all the bumps though. is that a normal thing when you install coils? im noticing clunks on all 4 corners and mostly on the rears. Is there anything i can do for this? I dont even know what damp i should have it on. i use the car for the street and as my DD. right now i have it on 15 clicks (half way) all around. any suggestions?

anyways.....hope you guys can comment and help.
here are some pics....

Now after the drop.....

Old 04-19-10, 08:37 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow dude all those ur cars and bike? I don't hink I woulda bought an IS if I had those toys in the garage....
Old 04-19-10, 08:49 AM
Touge
Pole Position

Looks good. Did you notice any vibrations at idle or speed with your bc's ?. That's the only think I hate about mine =(. Nice rides btw, esp the GT-R !!
Old 04-19-10, 09:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you set the preload before you installed the coils?
Old 04-19-10, 09:10 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly what i was gunna say^^^^^
Old 04-19-10, 09:16 AM
AK-47
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
Wow dude all those ur cars and bike? I don't hink I woulda bought an IS if I had those toys in the garage....
agree, I would of gone with an SUV over the IS.
Old 04-19-10, 09:18 AM
AK-47
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Did you set the preload before you installed the coils?
what do you mean by preload, cuse I'm might be doing it soon, so I need more info on installing coilover.

and how long does the installing usually takes?
Old 04-19-10, 09:28 AM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

how many inches that you dropped?

I think i will subscribe this thread. Because i think it will be a lot of info for me. I just place the order for my BC Coils today. got a super good deal from a vendor here. did you change anything beside just swap the stock to the BC?

I think i saw a thread for those two cars before somewhere here. He usually had a NSX and trade it in for the GTR right?
Old 04-19-10, 09:37 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

yeah, those are my cousins toys. we were doing it in his garage.

were we supposed to use the stock rubber hats? cause i know we just simply took out the stock shocks and put in the new shocks. preload we didn't do. i dont even know what that really means. i still have to play around with the height but gotta wait for the rims to go on to see where it sits first.

im worried about this clunking thing tho......
Old 04-19-10, 09:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Well is the spring sort of compressed when you looked at the coilovers? If not, they are dancing around when you're hitting bumps and dips. Preloading is when you adjust the adjustable collar beneath the springs so that the springs is slightly compressed. I believe BC recommended 3-5mm of preload for their coilovers. Look in the suspension forum. There was a recent thread and I described how to set it. You can use the lower shock body collar for ride height adjustment rather than the upper one for the spring.
Old 04-19-10, 10:07 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

with the fronts, we basically just replace them. i didn't even touch the spring level. with the rears, we replaced them and i had moved the spring. not sure if i moved it up or down from where it was sitting from the box.

we were just putting it in and letting the car down and see how it sits then we were to go back if needed and raise or lower the car. now with my wheels not being here i guess we will have to do that later...

now with the stock rubber hats? was i supposed to use the oem ones from the stock suspension?
Old 04-19-10, 10:34 AM
djbugz
Pole Position

Yea.. I'm planning on getting BC coilovers soon too.. so let us know how it is with ride and pics when you get your rims.. I didn't know what this preload was either.. I thought just install and GO!! haahaaa.. i guess adjustments would be smart.
Old 04-19-10, 12:51 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

hey guys, when you take out the stock susp, were you supposed to remove any mounts or bushings and put it on the bc coils before installing. if i can remember we just put the new in, and i dont know if there was or any rubber pieces that is supposed to go between the top mount and car. i hope you are getting my questions here.
Old 04-19-10, 01:03 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No, the coilover set comes with everything you need to do a replacement. You do not use the OEM "strut mount" and the bushings just need to be reset after the install
Old 04-19-10, 01:13 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

sorry man im so newbie. what do you mean by bushings reset. im getting clunking on all 4 corners. anything i can do.

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
No, the coilover set comes with everything you need to do a replacement. You do not use the OEM "strut mount" and the bushings just need to be reset after the install

Quick Reply: So i installed BC Coilovers lastnight!!