Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake booster question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 06:52 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake booster question...

Hi everyone,
I would like to know if the lines from the brake booster are dealer only items, or are they an average hose tube that can be cut to length ?
The reason I ask is because earlier today I was driving & I tried to brake, but the brakes didn't work. Luckily (By the blessing of God) I wasn't driving fast & there wasn't much traffic ahead of me, so I was able to slam the car in park & stop. I looked under the hood & saw that a line from the brake booster to the engine was disconnected & the end was brittle & cracked from old age; I slipped it back on & limped my way home doing 5 MPH lol.
I have surplus hose tubing left over from another project & I wanted to know from you guys if this can be used:

If not i'll still head over to the dealer for OEM hoses either way.
Thanks for helping me in this matter.
Old 04-21-10, 02:45 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

YOU DID WHAT!!!!!!! WHEN YOU WERE GOING FAST

did i see that you typed "I WAS ABLE TO SLAM THE CAR IN PARK AND STOP"

WHAT THE FARK IN HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR????????????
JESUS CHRIST YOU ARE STILL ALIVE TO POST IN CLUBLEXUS FORUM

Old 04-21-10, 04:23 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by v8soarer91

YOU DID WHAT!!!!!!! WHEN YOU WERE GOING FAST

did i see that you typed "I WAS ABLE TO SLAM THE CAR IN PARK AND STOP"

WHAT THE FARK IN HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR????????????
JESUS CHRIST YOU ARE STILL ALIVE TO POST IN CLUBLEXUS FORUM

Yes I slammed the car in park... the brakes didn't work so I had no other choice; it was either slam it in park or slam into another car.
I need to know if those lines can be used or not before I buy new ones. Just so there is no confusion I was about to turn right & I was already on that side so like I said there was no traffic ahead of me. And I clearly typed that I was NOT driving fast so thats how I was able to put the car in park.
Old 04-21-10, 05:23 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use off the shelf hose...needs to be somewhat thick.. good reinforced hose would work.
Old 04-21-10, 05:51 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RyanV
You can use off the shelf hose...needs to be somewhat thick.. good reinforced hose would work.
Thanks bro, I will definitely do that.
Old 04-23-10, 08:12 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wound up using some old transmission cooler oil lines I had laying around. Glad you are doing this after the first time it did this. I have driven a year with a bad brake booster hose... lol Out of sight, out of mind I guess, luckily nothing bad had happened and it only popped off 3 times, LMAO. Thank god for downshifting to stop .

Anyways, yes its fine.
Old 04-23-10, 09:25 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

IIRC, the brakes should still work without the booster. They'd just be extremely stiff to apply, but they should still work.

Regular hose will work, but your better off getting a more rigid type hose so it holds its shape better and won't kink.
Old 04-23-10, 06:28 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by good2go
IIRC, the brakes should still work without the booster. They'd just be extremely stiff to apply, but they should still work.

Regular hose will work, but your better off getting a more rigid type hose so it holds its shape better and won't kink.
Yeah that's what the mechanic told me as well, I didn't believe until he took the hose off completely & drove without incident. You learn something new each day lol.
Old 04-23-10, 06:30 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I wound up using some old transmission cooler oil lines I had laying around. Glad you are doing this after the first time it did this. I have driven a year with a bad brake booster hose... lol Out of sight, out of mind I guess, luckily nothing bad had happened and it only popped off 3 times, LMAO. Thank god for downshifting to stop .

Anyways, yes its fine.
Nah I don't take chances with brakes.
Now I know they will work without the line.

Last edited by 718murdoc; 04-23-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 06:56 PM
DKSc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 718murdoc
Yes I slammed the car in park... the brakes didn't work so I had no other choice; it was either slam it in park or slam into another car.
I need to know if those lines can be used or not before I buy new ones. Just so there is no confusion I was about to turn right & I was already on that side so like I said there was no traffic ahead of me. And I clearly typed that I was NOT driving fast so thats how I was able to put the car in park.
At no point during this EMERGENCY did the EMERGENCY brake come into your mind as an option? Just saying if this ever happens again, try the e-brake before you slam your car into park and hurt the transmission :/
There's a reason that it is cable operated and not hydraulic like the rest of this system, for instances such as this.
Old 04-23-10, 07:44 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DKSc
At no point during this EMERGENCY did the EMERGENCY brake come into your mind as an option? Just saying if this ever happens again, try the e-brake before you slam your car into park and hurt the transmission :/
There's a reason that it is cable operated and not hydraulic like the rest of this system, for instances such as this.
The e-brake doesn't work on my car, so slamming the car in park was my only option.
I forgot to mention that in the beginning.

Last edited by 718murdoc; 04-23-10 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 08:02 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Default Problem has been resolved.

I've replaced the line & the brakes. I'm just waiting for a new e-brake cable.
Old 04-23-10, 08:21 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

OK, here's another bit of info . . .

the term "EMERGENCY BRAKE" is a complete misnomer anymore. This term was originally used when you were actually able to apply your car's rear brakes by way of pulling (or depressing) the emergency brake lever/pedal which operated right alongside the hydraulic system to engage the "real" rear brake shoes. Back then, it had some actual stopping power.
Nowadays, the correct term for the device is the "parking brake", as that is about all it is good for . . . holding the car still when parked. It only operates a very small, dedicated brake shoe with minimal surface area. If you try to stop your car by way of this "E-Brake", you'll find that not only does it do a really poor job, but that it wears out really fast. It's really NOT worth beans for stopping in an emergency . . . just ask a camry owner
Old 04-24-10, 10:07 PM
DKSc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
OK, here's another bit of info . . .

the term "EMERGENCY BRAKE" is a complete misnomer anymore. This term was originally used when you were actually able to apply your car's rear brakes by way of pulling (or depressing) the emergency brake lever/pedal which operated right alongside the hydraulic system to engage the "real" rear brake shoes. Back then, it had some actual stopping power.
Nowadays, the correct term for the device is the "parking brake", as that is about all it is good for . . . holding the car still when parked. It only operates a very small, dedicated brake shoe with minimal surface area. If you try to stop your car by way of this "E-Brake", you'll find that not only does it do a really poor job, but that it wears out really fast. It's really NOT worth beans for stopping in an emergency . . . just ask a camry owner
While I agree that it is not the best stopping power ever, it is still better then nothing.
AND you're actually wrong in about 50% of modern cars, do some research on "integral calipers", when you activate your e-brake you are engaging a separate either cable and ratchet system, or electric motor which applies the rear brakes.
As for the Sc300/400 itself, lexus used a Drum in Hat e-brake setup, meaning that you actually have a fully functional drum brake, inside the hat of your rotor, so when you use your e-brake, it's actually as if you're stopping using a car with only rear drums, and seeing as drums from all mechanical engineering stand points are actually more effecient at braking than disc brake setups, you're actually not in bad shape.
Old 04-25-10, 08:54 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DKSc
While I agree that it is not the best stopping power ever, it is still better then nothing.
AND you're actually wrong in about 50% of modern cars, do some research on "integral calipers", when you activate your e-brake you are engaging a separate either cable and ratchet system, or electric motor which applies the rear brakes.
As for the Sc300/400 itself, lexus used a Drum in Hat e-brake setup, meaning that you actually have a fully functional drum brake, inside the hat of your rotor, so when you use your e-brake, it's actually as if you're stopping using a car with only rear drums, and seeing as drums from all mechanical engineering stand points are actually more effecient at braking than disc brake setups, you're actually not in bad shape.
I think 50% is more than a bit of a stretch.

Drums are efficient than discs??!! WTH are you talking about

Quick Reply: Brake booster question...