Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cant seem to get my pedal firm

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10 | 01:16 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Default Cant seem to get my pedal firm

Im stumped here guys. A few days a go I changed my front calipers, brake hoses, rotors and pads. When I was done I bled the system from back to front, I did it 4x to each brake and my pedal still feels really soft. I made sure there was always fluid in the cylinder so it never went dry.

Do I need to drain the system and bleed it from the Master Cylinder or something else?
Old 04-28-10 | 05:41 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Pedal going to the floor there might still be air in the system.
Old 04-28-10 | 05:47 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pipe
Pedal going to the floor there might still be air in the system.
Sadly it is but for the life of me I cant bleed all the air out of the system doing it the conventional way. So it looks I'm going to have to purchase a vacuum pump
Old 04-28-10 | 05:56 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm...maybe there's air that's trapped in your ABS valves that you can't bleed out. Some people have success with driving the car (in a safe, remote area) and stomping the brakes to invoke the ABS system and push the trapped air out into the regular lines. Then, go back and re-bleed at the calipers again to get that freed air out.
Old 04-28-10 | 05:58 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Hmm...maybe there's air that's trapped in your ABS valves that you can't bleed out. Some people have success with driving the car (in a safe, remote area) and stomping the brakes to invoke the ABS system and push the trapped air out. Then, re-bleed at the calipers again to get that freed air out.
I always thought that if you drove with air int he system it could ruin the cylinder or bust a hose?
Old 04-28-10 | 06:04 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

As far as a cylinder, I guess that would depend on how much air you're talking about, and over what period of time, but I can't see any possible way that air would damage a hose

I think the issue of damage relates to a lack of lubrication from the fluid, but you'd have to have a ridiculous amount of air in the system to "dry" out a cylinder. A tiny amount of air can degrade your pedal feel enormously; my guess is that if you had enough air to do damage, basically your brakes wouldn't be working AT ALL.
Old 04-28-10 | 06:07 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

As far as a cylinder, I guess that would depend on how much air you're talking about, and over what period of time, but I can't see any possible way that air would damage a hose

I think the issue of damage relates to a lack of lubrication from the fluid, but you'd have to have a ridiculous amount of air in the system to "dry" out a cylinder. A tiny amount of air can degrade your pedal feel enormously; my guess is that if you had enough air to do damage, basically your brakes wouldn't be working AT ALL.
AH i see..........Maybe I will drive it around late tonight when the roads are dead, just to be safe.
Old 04-28-10 | 06:11 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, feel free to get a second opinion on it. I don't wanna set you up for a problem here if I'm wrong on this one. Let's just say that, if it were my car, that's what I'd do
Old 04-28-10 | 07:03 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Hey, feel free to get a second opinion on it. I don't wanna set you up for a problem here if I'm wrong on this one. Let's just say that, if it were my car, that's what I'd do
My car was doing the same thing as his when i 1st bought it 2 months ago, As soon as i got in the car to drive it home the pedal went to the floor i asked the guy what was wrong with the brakes he told me he think one the calipers might be seized (yea right) mind you i lived 57 miles away
It took me a few hrs a baseball bat and a big bottle of synthetic fluid to sort it out, the pedal felt 90% better but still feels a little squishy il bleed it soon again but there was ALOT of air in it.
Old 04-28-10 | 07:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This may sound crazy, but when you replaced the front calipers, did you mount them upside down, where the bleeder screws are on the top and NOT the bottom?

Believe it or not they can be mounted this way! You have to swap them around or change sides. So double check the calipers. Just a thought
Old 04-28-10 | 07:18 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

You know Im not really sure lol..............I'm thinking it maybe on the top, but I dont know how thats even possible because I changed them one at a time and the right caliper I had to order from rockauto because AAP didnt have it. HMMMMM I really cant remember

EDIT: Ok I just checked and the bleeders on the top of the caliper not the bottom

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 04-28-10 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-29-10 | 08:17 AM
boostd4
Driver

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
This may sound crazy, but when you replaced the front calipers, did you mount them upside down, where the bleeder screws are on the top and NOT the bottom?

Believe it or not they can be mounted this way! You have to swap them around or change sides. So double check the calipers. Just a thought
The bleeder screws are supposed to be on the top, aren't they? Air rises... putting bleeeders on the bottom would suck in air...

After some searching, the bleeders are definitely supposed to be on top:

Originally Posted by Supraforums Admin
make sure you installed all calipers with bleeder screws facing up. I had one of my fellow workers install the calipers on the wrong side and they were bleeding it for like 30mins, walked over and yep front calipers were crossed. You will never get all the air out of the system. Also like Rich B said, if the master cyl ran dry you will need to bleed master then the lines.
Every pic I can find of installed Supra calipers (even on stock supras) has the bleeder on the top:

Last edited by boostd4; 04-29-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-29-10 | 10:58 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Maybe I had a brain fart, but I could have swore that the bleeders need to be on the bottom. I wish I was bable to go look real quick to see. Now I am stuck wondering. Can anyone confirm?
Old 04-29-10 | 02:19 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

bleeders need to be on top.
Old 04-30-10 | 08:19 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

yes the bleeders are supposed to be on top, if they are not the system will not allow the air to be removed because there will be an air pocket.

I'm going to pickup a bleeding kit tomorrow and see how that works

Quick Reply: Cant seem to get my pedal firm