Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC Racing Coil Noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 11:29 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BC Racing Coil Noises

I know there are people there get alot of clunking with these coils..but im running into the issue with when taking a turn, hard or light, it sounds like there is something loose or bouncing around in the front struts. It isnt a light rattle. It sounds like something heavy is bouncing around in there. Anyone? Only when turning tho.
Old 05-12-10, 11:37 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

i guess others are also getting this.. I thought clunking what just a single clunk sound once in awhile, but others have reported it sounding like a bolt is loose or something.Oh well i guess you just gotta live with it..sounds kinda ghetto tho.
Old 05-12-10, 01:29 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

geezz i never heard of so many problems with coils before. It seems like every coil that can go on our cars is giving problems. I dont know what brand to go with when I decide to buy

But the way did you install them yourself? Or have a shop do it?
Old 05-13-10, 01:44 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

i have had my coilover for the past 2yrs and zero prob. with what your having that just me and i make hard turns on the off ramps
Old 05-13-10, 01:50 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i dont get any of those noises. i get a squeek/clunk sometimes when going over hard bumps but other than that my coils are pretty quite.
Old 05-14-10, 02:05 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you need to make sure you're preloaded correctly, and also that you didn't adjust height with the spring.

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.

You also want to check and make sure the top 17mm center nut is tight, it's best to check it with an impact gun if you have access to one, a quick hit is all it should need. A few other areas to check are the lower mounting bolts, and endlinks.

Sometimes noise can come from somehwere else, endlinks, swaybars, and chassis contact can all be problems. Make sure now that the car is lowered and stiffer that you don't have exhaust contact anywhere. These are all common noise issues.