Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 10:52 AM
lisc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment issue

i recently bought some rpf1 the staggered supra fitment, 17x8.5 and 17x10 with a 40 and 38 offset respectively.I am grunning 275 40s on the rear. Got My tire mounted and balanced at STS. The guy who aligned them said Since I lowered it the factory spec alignment wouldnt work. I got my car back no problems in the front but the rear was a disaster. The spec sheet for my rear wheels rear reads:

left rear

-.9 degrees camber
.25 degrees of toe

right rear

-1.9 degrees camber
.25 degrees toe

The diagram shows my rear wheels at less than a 90 degree angle mean the wheel and tire is slanted away from the tire well which I always thought meant overly positive camber.

what can I do to correct this
Old 05-21-10, 01:18 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lisc300
i recently bought some rpf1 the staggered supra fitment, 17x8.5 and 17x10 with a 40 and 38 offset respectively.I am grunning 275 40s on the rear. Got My tire mounted and balanced at STS. The guy who aligned them said Since I lowered it the factory spec alignment wouldnt work. I got my car back no problems in the front but the rear was a disaster. The spec sheet for my rear wheels rear reads:

left rear

-.9 degrees camber
.25 degrees of toe

right rear

-1.9 degrees camber
.25 degrees toe

The diagram shows my rear wheels at less than a 90 degree angle mean the wheel and tire is slanted away from the tire well which I always thought meant overly positive camber.

leaning in at the top = NEGATIVE
leaning out at the top = POSITIVE

Usually, lowering creates negative camber, some of which can be corrected with camber kits.
Old 05-22-10, 07:16 AM
lisc300
Pole Position

it has sick positive camber. What do you think caused this. I recently got into a rear ender fender bender,could that have possible caused that..If I got a camber kit it should correct my issue but would I allow me to have even tire wear
Old 05-22-10, 09:41 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

... The spec sheet for my rear wheels rear reads:

left rear

-.9 degrees camber
.25 degrees of toe

right rear

-1.9 degrees camber
.25 degrees toe

it has sick positive camber. What do you think caused this. I recently got into a rear ender fender bender,could that have possible caused that..If I got a camber kit it should correct my issue but would I allow me to have even tire wear
I'm not really following this contradiction

Did the alignment shop screw up that badly??...or is there some other confusion here?
Old 05-23-10, 10:01 AM
lisc300
Pole Position

ok in reality the shop negative camber reading was really positive because the top of the tire is pointing out from the fender. I thought a car being lowered causes negative camber..what can be wrong..I recently got into a car accident could that have caused the positive camber..
Old 05-23-10, 02:07 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

ok in reality the shop negative camber reading was really positive because the top of the tire is pointing out from the fender. I thought a car being lowered causes negative camber..what can be wrong..I recently got into a car accident could that have caused the positive camber..

Absolutely. But if your alignment shop is telling you it's negative and you can see it's leaning out at the top, you need to find a more reputable shop.
Old 05-23-10, 04:40 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i wouldn't jump to conclusions...

are you sure your eyes arent playing tricks on you? What the shop said is probably the correct numbers. Something isn't adding up here. Your 3rd post is contridicting your first post. You have Negative camber in the rear if the top of the tire leans toward the car. If it's positive the top of the wheel will lean away from the car. So which is it?

Also to correct those numbers i would try to bring the right rear in (more positive) or get the left rear to lean out (more negative)
Old 05-24-10, 07:55 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ your post seems to imply that camber is adjustable

To the OP, how about posting some pics so we can see what you're seeing.
Old 05-24-10, 08:41 AM
need2boost
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go

because it is....to a certain point
Old 05-24-10, 09:26 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ true, I was just assuming the shop had his adjustments maxed. Still seems they should be able to get the left rear closer to the right though.
Old 05-25-10, 06:53 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by good2go
That's because it IS. As is every other alignment angle on the car.

just as long as you can get the numbers on both sides close to each other it shouldnt be too much of a problem. I'd rather have both rear tires wear down faster as opposed to just one wearing down faster than the other. If the tech can't get the numbers to move any more, then you might have to look into replacing more suspension parts.

question: have you had the car aligned before swapping to coilovers? just trying to get a history on the car.