Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC Racing Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 10:19 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC Racing Coils

For those who ordered the BC Racing Coils... i have a couple questions...

How much of a drop was it at the preset settings?
i.e Megan racing drops enough to tuck the front and rear tires at preset settings without any extra adjustments.

What were your spring rates?

On a scale of 1-10 how is the build quality?

Any Metal clunking sound or any weird sound when going over bumps?

I personally am rocking Megan Coilovers... and i would love to hear from BCR owners regarding these...

Andre
Old 05-24-10, 10:32 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

I've been meaning to start a thread about mine...I've got them on my AWD.

Before (right after I put the wheels on and it settled maybe 1/2" at most and had 215/40 tires on):

After (with 225/40 tires):

I've only driven for maybe 250 miles after installation. I need to get an alignment before I drive it more. I'm very happy with them. We didn't change the height of the coilovers when we got them so the after pic is the pre-load height. With the difference of the tires factored in, I wanna say I'm dropped by 1.5-2 inches.

I currently have them at 12 clicks away from stiffest setting...and they feel great. A bit stiffer than stock, but still very comfortable. I have no clunking or anything yet. I'm very happy with them
Old 05-24-10, 12:02 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

on my friend's megans there was this noise whenever he passes through bumps which makes the metal hitting sound as if the aluminum top hat was hitting the body or something it was pretty loud....

although i have no problems on my megans i would love to change it up soon

Andre
Old 05-25-10, 06:32 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

any other imput guys?

Andre
Old 05-30-10, 07:57 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

nothing from other members??
Old 05-31-10, 07:54 PM
Secksee
Lead Lap

just got my BCR's and im tucked. I know exactly what noise your talking about, my cusco coils on my previous sti did it all the time over bumps. The BCRs have yet to present any such noise. the ride is definitely stiffer (15 clicks) then stock but its tolerable.
Old 05-31-10, 08:46 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i am thinking to do the swap from Megans to BCR and get the rubber mount... i want a stiffer ride

Andre
Old 06-01-10, 12:01 AM
whitecel
Pole Position

Wouldn't the megans have a stiffer ride? The spring rates are higher on the megans than the bcr.
Old 06-01-10, 01:07 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can customize the spring rates on the BCR coilovers.
Old 06-01-10, 06:05 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

I’ve been rocking my BC Coils for about 20K miles now so I have decent feedback for you.

In order of your questions:

Drop at present setting: Not sure. The shop dropped it to where I told them to, but of course I was always making small adjustments here and there. Its always adjustable so really not that big of a deal, no?

My spring rates are the “standard” they send out for Lexus 10K front / 8K rear. Compared to my H&R springs I had on before, they were a little too soft feeling. Made the car feel boat like, but now I’m starting to appreciated it. It’s a daily driver and I’m not going through very many twisty roads anyhow, so they are fine. If you want a super sporty ride, bump them up a little.

Build quality is relative. For what you pay for? I would say an 9 out of 10. Very good. Though, compared to an OEM set up, or something like an F-Sport suspension, they are a 6 out of 10. Why? More road noise. Shock’s aren’t nearly as good as say a Bilstien shock (F-Sport). Also, slight clunking noise. Where an OEM set up (even dropped on springs) is dead silent. I would know because my wife drives an IS250 dropped on Eibach’s and it’s a much quieter ride.

I bet that about covers all your questions.
Old 06-01-10, 06:44 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

yeah that covers... i still need an idea of how low it drops at preset settings...

mdgrwl: did you get the rubber mounts or the pillowball??

Andre
Old 06-01-10, 07:46 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
yeah that covers... i still need an idea of how low it drops at preset settings...

mdgrwl: did you get the rubber mounts or the pillowball??

Andre
rubber.

but why does it really matter at preset? you can always adjust it if you don't like it. i believe its a 1.5 inch drop preset... but your bound to adjust it anyway
Old 06-01-10, 08:02 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

at megan's preset i drop too low... and i am rubbing all over... i've shaved front and rear fenders and i still rub on dips... so yeah....

Tein SS is on rubber mounts to and they are relatively quiet.. so i am gauging which is softer

Andre
Old 06-01-10, 09:44 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

If its preset too low cant you just raise it? I mean thats what the point of coilovers are right? Adjusting your ride height? Also if "preset" is too low for you..you might as well just get some tein springs that are good quality, no sag at all, and barely drops you less then 1". It will still run smooth with your stock shocks and no worries of any clunking or noises.

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
at megan's preset i drop too low... and i am rubbing all over... i've shaved front and rear fenders and i still rub on dips... so yeah....

Tein SS is on rubber mounts to and they are relatively quiet.. so i am gauging which is softer

Andre
Old 06-01-10, 10:00 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

The spring rate will depend on how you drive, what type of tires you run and if you have any brake upgrades. The last two will dictate if you need higher spring rates since you can push more energy into the suspension. If its just for a drop and for looks, then go with the default rate. If there is a specific setup you are curious about, pm me and I can help with spring rate selection.
here are some pics of the quality: Pictured with pillow ball since that is what they had when I first took delivery of parts for the ISF application.

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coils