Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

bad handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 04:29 PM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad handling

I have a 93 SC400 with 130,00 miles on it. I put 17" GS400 wheels on and New Tokico Shocks about 15K Miles ago.

Handling is horible when roads get rough. I don't want to go through the expense of springs now that shocks are on. I was planning on Supre TT lower control arms and bushings as a cure, but I want to do the right thing. The tires are Dunlop SP5000's and recent.

Also, I live in NJ/PA/DE are so lowering isn't a good idea.

Any help....please!

Joe
Old 06-20-02, 05:58 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

BimmerLexus,

What do you mean exactly when you say "Handling is horrible when roads get rough"? Is the car riding harsh or are you actually losing control? I have Tokicos on my 93 SC400 with stock spring and OEM 16" wheels, ride and handling are both great on smooth and rough roads.

DJL
Old 06-20-02, 07:54 PM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default Re: Bad Handling

What I mean is on rough roads, the car gets "darty". I am talking 70MPH, but I don't think that should happen. I do think the 17" wheels and tires(235/45 ZR17's) exagerate the problem.

Thanks

Joe
Old 06-26-02, 01:26 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to do the Supra TT supsension setup too! Hopefully, I'll have everything done this summer.

Ok, I need some confirmation on this. Will 93-97 Supra TT shocks & springs bolt right onto a 92 SC400?

If that works, I have a great hook up that will get me KYB AGX adjustable shocks & Eibach ProKit springs that'll lower (1.3" front & 1" rear)

Also, what exactly do I need for the Supra TT sway bars & control arms? I'm unsure of what parts to order that relates to that.

Thanks for the help!
Tony
Old 06-26-02, 10:26 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

I've been wanting to get supra sways, but nobody clearly answered if the front sways would fit also. I know the rears fit, but not sure which part number to get.
Old 06-26-02, 05:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put stock TT stuff into my car last spring,been hangin' corners in it ever since.The springs are 17% stiffer than on the SC.
The swap was a straightforward bolt-in,using the SC swaybar endlinks for the rear bar install.The mounting hardware needed is the rear most subframe mounts from the TT,as well as the inner mounts/bushings.
The front swaybar was the same diameter as the TT,stopped thinking about that part after measuring.

2)-farthest rearward SupraTT subframe mounts

1)-SupraTT rear swaybar

2)-SupraTT inner swaybar busings,and mounting brackets

2)-SC endlinks from rear swaybar

2)-SupraTT front shocks,springs

2)-SupraTT rear shocks,springs

Are the parts I dealt with when doing the swap.
Oh yeah,forgot;the ride height is lower by a half an inch,but the added stiffness keeps my 9.5" wheel/tire off of the fender(no rubbing).

Last edited by SCV8; 06-26-02 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-26-02, 05:41 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Bimmer;

I guess you have had the geometry realigned after the suspension work?

What wheel offset do you have? the taller rims combined with shallow offset (less than the stock +50mm) will make the steering "darty" and more prone to tramlining.

Changing to the harder bushed Supra lower arms will not cure the steering issues but it will exagerate/amplify the road noise & vibration.
Old 07-14-02, 04:38 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Hey Bimmer,

I had the "high speed darting" problem when I put wider tires on my SC300. Putting on a strut bar cured the problem.

-Walter
Old 07-14-02, 04:47 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I have never thought the SC/Soarer shell would flex enough to affect the steering, I can understand those little compacts with paper thin inner panels needing a strut brace but for most instances I think they are a placebo (or just eye candy).
Old 07-14-02, 07:05 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by London Bill
I have never thought the SC/Soarer shell would flex enough to affect the steering, I can understand those little compacts with paper thin inner panels needing a strut brace but for most instances I think they are a placebo (or just eye candy).
Yes, I too always thought they were for the "cheapo" cars, but what an AMAZING difference it made on my SC!
Old 07-16-02, 09:35 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default same here

I got the same problem, my front lower bushes are shot, i ordered new ones but i am waiting. after i put my wheels on (18x9.5 front 18x10.5 rear) the car is ALL OVER the highway, at speeds over about 60 it catches any line or groove and it PULLS you all over, im fighting with the steering wheel the whole time.
it feels as if i haev positive camber with warnout tires, thats the only way to describe the feeling, what can i do to solve this?

-Xavier-
Old 07-17-02, 01:58 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I have just replaced the front lower arm bushes on my TT, the steering has improved dramatically, reduced tramlining and "kickback", a little is still evident but I have 35mm Offset rims which exagerate the road feel due to the wider front track/scrub radius.

It is hard to believe the old bushes where so shot as we inspected them and they appeared to be fine (they had not collapsed or disintegrated), as the bushes get softer with old age it allows the front arms to float on the body mountings when the suspension is loaded-up and this throws out the steering geometry, if you have the geometry checked/reset it will appear fine on the static settings but the dynamic arm movement will throw it all to ****.

Most people (including me) wait until the suspension starts knocking before paying any attention to the bushes, this is probably a couple of years too late.
Old 07-17-02, 02:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it may be darty because you put upgraded shocks with your stock springs? (if i'm reading that correctly)

235 tires won't have anything to do with it

I had 245s on the front of mine until the other day and the handling was never darty at all
Old 07-17-02, 07:41 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Bean;

That could depend on the brand of tyre, some are more prone to tramlining than others in certain combinations of car/tyre.
Old 07-19-02, 12:51 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

true...

i've got Dunlop 8080s on the front and back of my car now as temporary tires
they came off a BMW 330ci sport

225/45 in the front
245/40 in the back

yeah the tire diameter doesn't line up; but the older tires were so worn out in the back that they were about the same diameter

i'll be getting some Kuhmo Ecsta 255/45s in the back soon enough

Quick Reply: bad handling