Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Wheel Shake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 07:19 AM
mgude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Shake?

I have a 97 SC300 that has recently developed severe steering wheel shake - sometimes.

First, some history:
I got some used 19" wheels from ebay and when my mechanic put them on last summer he mentioned that they were "less than perfect" and he had a hard time balancing them. When I drove it after that there was no vibration, but sometimes the car would pull to the right and the steering wheel would move when braking at slow speeds (like at residential area stop signs). I assumed this was due to the new tire size and it wasn't a big deal.

Now, a year later, It has developed severe steering wheel shake that seems to get worse with speed. Also, when it is bad and I stop the car, then let off the brake the front end groans like the brakes are still on. And when the shake is bad it seems to take extra throttle to get moving. The wheel shake goes away when I am braking.

The funny thing is that is doesn't always happen. Sometimes I seem to get to work without any issues, though the problem has become much more common and severe in the last week.

I am taking it in to see the mechanic next week. What should I tell him to look for? Is this going to cost me a lot?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-10, 07:40 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

are the wheels mounted properly?

only real reason for wheels not to get properly balanced would be damaged wheels or really cheap *** wheels. try to get a different set of wheels, like your stock wheels back on, and try it out, see if it ever happens again.

check your bushings, lift up the car and try to wiggle your wheel in different clock positions. if it wiggles, and your wheel is properly mounted, your bushings, most likely lower control arm bushings are shot.

also try an alignment.
Old 05-27-10, 07:46 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First take it to another tire shop and have them inspect your front tires for any bulge. Do the tires have bad camber wear?

If the tires are in good shape then have it re-balanced.
Old 05-27-10, 08:31 AM
mgude
Driver School Candidate

The tires are only a year old, and I haven't noticed any uneven wear.

The guy I am taking it too is a different shop and I am going to have them look it over. The wheels were pretty cheap, so I am bracing to have to replace them. If it I need to, I can switch back to stock, but I really don't like the look of the stock wheels...
Old 05-27-10, 09:01 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure your mechanic checks for a sticking brake caliper; it could explain a lot of your symptoms.
Old 05-27-10, 09:31 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the vibrations stop with the stock wheels back on, then just deal with the look, which aint that bad, until you can save up some money for good wheels.
Old 05-27-10, 09:36 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Try rotating the tires. If something has changed with the front one, chances are the rear set may be still okay. If you still get the problems, then maybe there's something else to look for instead.
Old 05-27-10, 02:13 PM
mgude
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be reporting back later!
Old 05-27-10, 07:41 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

I had the same wheel shaking esp when i hit minor imperfections in the road and the wheel would pull away from me my car also got big wheels on it , I found the problem .......Lower control are bushings are gone!!

Last edited by Pipe; 06-01-10 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 07:15 AM
mgude
Driver School Candidate

I have been wondering about the bushings. I have noticed a little bit of clanking happening when i go over bumps. The car has 150k miles on it, and I am betting it needs them replaced. How many bushings should I check/replace & where are they? How hard is it to replace them?

I have worked on suspension before (different car) and I didn't like it. Should I DIY or have a shop do it?
Old 05-28-10, 03:22 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

check your lower control arm bushings, those tend to go out first.

im about to swap every single CA bushing in my car with some delrin bushings that i have made. its tough work, but with patients its not so bad.

if you have the proper tools, do it at home. labor at a shop will just be too much...
Old 06-02-10, 08:09 AM
mgude
Driver School Candidate

It was indeed a stuck brake caliper. The mechanic reports one of two right cylinders is locked up. Estimates $300 for replacement of both front calipers, including parts & labor. Seems like a good price to me...
Old 06-02-10, 12:23 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should go ahead and get the LS400 brake upgrade. It really is not that much more expensive than the stock brakes and works so much better.
Old 06-02-10, 01:48 PM
StlLexusTe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a sticking caliper, or caliper slide. Also, as far as the bushings and stuff : When you take all the cushion that a "normal" width sidewall gives (which is what the car is designed for) away by putting what is essentially rubber bands around the rims for tires, then the bushings will wear out pre-maturely, ride quality will go down the tubes, any small sized pot hole will bend the rims, and on, and on. My LS may not look as cool, but my tires are cheaper, the ride quality is perfect, it doesnt vibrate, and the suspension wont wear out in half the time.
Not saying anyone is wrong for doing what they do, its their car. Im just giving you some Lexus Technician advice.
Old 06-02-10, 06:25 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mgude

It was indeed a stuck brake caliper. . .
thought so

Originally Posted by StlLexusTe

Sounds like a sticking caliper, or caliper slide .... Im just giving you some Lexus Technician advice.
oooooh . . . time's up!

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shake?