Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Shocks & Springs for lowered but comfortable ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 08:06 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by YviE
The instructions of S-tech springs say to cut the bump stops. I think it must be the same for other springs also.
My instructions say to also, but a friend of mine (who is a reputable GS owner) told me cutting the bump stops will ruin the ride. If I do cut them, will I stop bottoming out all the time? It's annoying the crap outta me.
Old 10-13-10, 08:16 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing you would stop bottoming out, since it provides a bit more travel for the shock to do its work. You need this extra travel because the springs are shorter. At least that's how I see it.
Old 10-13-10, 08:19 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by YviE
I'm guessing you would stop bottoming out, since it provides a bit more travel for the shock to do its work. You need this extra travel because the springs are shorter. At least that's how I see it.
This definitely makes sense. I want to see what a few others have to say before I'm committed to go out and cut them. I don't need to take them off the car, just take off the wheel and cut 'em I believe.
Old 10-13-10, 08:21 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, you can probably reach them just by removing the wheel.
I'm interested to see what others have to say about this also.
Old 10-13-10, 11:08 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SixEye
Do you happen to have pictures of your car with this set up? Thanks!
Here's a couple pics. Both pics have the same suspension set up, just one is with 19's and the other with 20's.

First Pic, 19x8.5 +22, 245/35/19 and 19x9.5 +22, 265/30/19 Volk SF Winning.

And the second pic, 20x8.5 +25, 225/35/20 and 20x10.5 +25, 275/30/20 Work Meister S1.

Sorry for the crappy pics, but I'm a horrible photographer. Either way, you get the idea of what it looks like with both 19's and 20's. I'm super happy with the ride height and ride quality. I was not looking for slammed to the ground ride height (although I do love the look) as it's just not practical in Hawaii with our crappy roads. What lead me to the spring/strut/RCA set up was the fact that most springs didn't give me "just enough" drop. But at the same time I wanted the ride to be as comfortable as possible . I've read a lot about how people say some coilovers are "super comfortable" or "rides better than stock", but I guess it's all relative to each person.
Old 10-13-10, 12:50 PM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Originally Posted by Silver'04
Here's a couple pics. Both pics have the same suspension set up, just one is with 19's and the other with 20's.

First Pic, 19x8.5 +22, 245/35/19 and 19x9.5 +22, 265/30/19 Volk SF Winning.

And the second pic, 20x8.5 +25, 225/35/20 and 20x10.5 +25, 275/30/20 Work Meister S1.

Sorry for the crappy pics, but I'm a horrible photographer. Either way, you get the idea of what it looks like with both 19's and 20's. I'm super happy with the ride height and ride quality. I was not looking for slammed to the ground ride height (although I do love the look) as it's just not practical in Hawaii with our crappy roads. What lead me to the spring/strut/RCA set up was the fact that most springs didn't give me "just enough" drop. But at the same time I wanted the ride to be as comfortable as possible . I've read a lot about how people say some coilovers are "super comfortable" or "rides better than stock", but I guess it's all relative to each person.
I'm on Tein Stech's/Bilstein HD's/ and Sage RCA's. The drop is 2.5" front and 2.1" in the rear. The ride is perfect. I really wanted to stay away from the stiffer/bouncier ride that usually comes along with most coilovers. I've ridden on BC's, Cusco's, Stance's, and Tein coilovers in my Suby and have yet to find a set up that rides as smooth and comfortable and what I have installed on my 2GS right now. Granted, the suspension set up is different between the Subaru and Lex, but I'm really happy with the choice to go non-coilover for this car. It suites my needs perfectly
sorry for being a noob but what is a RCA? I know what a spring/strut is.
I really like how your car looks. The drop looks perfect to me. That is the way I want my GS to be dropped.

Do you have any problems at all if you hit a pothole or a bump? Hows the ride quality compare to the stock ride and what added benefits do you get from this setup compare to the stock setup?

I notice you are using Tein Stech springs. Did you consider the Tein High Tech springs at all when you shopping for springs? Im trying to get a smooth and comfortable ride like you but I was advised the High Tech springs gives you a smoother/oem ride. Can you pls give me a little more info about your setup. Thanks

Last edited by Blk04GS430; 10-13-10 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 04:07 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blk04GS430
sorry for being a noob but what is a RCA? I know what a spring/strut is.
I really like how your car looks. The drop looks perfect to me. That is the way I want my GS to be dropped.

Do you have any problems at all if you hit a pothole or a bump? Hows the ride quality compare to the stock ride and what added benefits do you get from this setup compare to the stock setup?

I notice you are using Tein Stech springs. Did you consider the Tein High Tech springs at all when you shopping for springs? Im trying to get a smooth and comfortable ride like you but I was advised the High Tech springs gives you a smoother/oem ride. Can you pls give me a little more info about your setup. Thanks
Here's a link to explain what an RCA does and how it can help to correct camber: http://www.exactmotorsports.com/GSRCA.html. (<<I'm running Sage RCA's front and rear, but they do the same thing) BTW, I do have a set of Exact rear RCA's for sale in the 2GS classifieds if you're interested.........sorry for the shameless plug.

As for the ride quality, I love it. It's still very comfortable and still maintains a luxurious feel. It is a touch firmer/sportier than the "floaty" stock feel, but not harsh like how some of the cheaper coilovers can be. Granted when I hit potholes or bumps, you do feel it, but that may be more related to the tire sizes and lack of sidewall compared to stock wheels and tires.

And as for spring choice, I actually bought my '01 GS3 with the S-Techs already installed on there. I weighed out the options between coilovers and how much I would spend vs. buying the Bilsteins and front and rear RCA's. Cost wise, I ended up spending a little less (+/- $150) than I would've if I bought coilovers, but in the end, I got the ride height I wanted and the ride quality I needed. Win Win situation. As for the ride quality, H-Techs are supposed to give you a softer ride, but they also don't drop the car as much. I think the difference is about .6" or so. All depends on what is more important....ride height or ride quality. As little as it seems, .6" is a noticeable difference, so just depends on what you want. Hope this helps
Old 10-13-10, 06:10 PM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Question

Here's a link to explain what an RCA does and how it can help to correct camber: http://www.exactmotorsports.com/GSRCA.html. (<<I'm running Sage RCA's front and rear, but they do the same thing) BTW, I do have a set of Exact rear RCA's for sale in the 2GS classifieds if you're interested.........sorry for the shameless plug.

As for the ride quality, I love it. It's still very comfortable and still maintains a luxurious feel. It is a touch firmer/sportier than the "floaty" stock feel, but not harsh like how some of the cheaper coilovers can be. Granted when I hit potholes or bumps, you do feel it, but that may be more related to the tire sizes and lack of sidewall compared to stock wheels and tires.

And as for spring choice, I actually bought my '01 GS3 with the S-Techs already installed on there. I weighed out the options between coilovers and how much I would spend vs. buying the Bilsteins and front and rear RCA's. Cost wise, I ended up spending a little less (+/- $150) than I would've if I bought coilovers, but in the end, I got the ride height I wanted and the ride quality I needed. Win Win situation. As for the ride quality, H-Techs are supposed to give you a softer ride, but they also don't drop the car as much. I think the difference is about .6" or so. All depends on what is more important....ride height or ride quality. As little as it seems, .6" is a noticeable difference, so just depends on what you want. Hope this helps
Thanks for the great info. That really helped me clear things up.

I have been researching KYB GR2 Shocks and the information about them is that they are the direct oem replacements. Does that mean that they are as good as the oem shocks or better? Is the KYB GR2 more durable? Should I buy the oem shocks if If can get them cheaper than the KYB GR2 shocks? I also read that they may not be able to handle the aftermarket springs and will wear out faster than a better/more expensive shock like a Bilstein or Koni sport etc. Thanks

Last edited by Blk04GS430; 10-15-10 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-19-10, 09:00 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I liked the Tein CS2 I have. VERY nice ride even on firmest setting. In fact maybe a bit too soft but work well. Can't beat the price on the BC Racing kits though and they also ride nice.
Old 10-21-10, 11:33 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blk04GS430
Thanks for the great info. That really helped me clear things up.

I have been researching KYB GR2 Shocks and the information about them is that they are the direct oem replacements. Does that mean that they are as good as the oem shocks or better? Is the KYB GR2 more durable? Should I buy the oem shocks if If can get them cheaper than the KYB GR2 shocks? I also read that they may not be able to handle the aftermarket springs and will wear out faster than a better/more expensive shock like a Bilstein or Koni sport etc. Thanks
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...210-combo.html

Hey Bro, did you see this thread? And he's in NY too. Nice looking price too...
Old 11-04-10, 05:29 PM
Blk04GS430
Driver

I just got my Lexus/Toyota Struts today in the mail and it was labled KYB and Toyota on it. I didnt realize that KYB made the oem shocks for Lexus/Toyota.

I wonder if these oem struts are relabled KYB GR2's or if they lesser quality struts than the KYB GR2's? I noticed the KYB GR2's are more expensive than the oem struts when I was shopping around for struts.

Last edited by Blk04GS430; 11-04-10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 06:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

the GR2s are not identical to the OEM. The valving on the GR2 is stiffer and it feels that way too. I ran the GR2 with stock springs for a while and the ride was harsh. It felt rougher than the L-tuned/KYB combo I ran prior.

GR2s seems to do better in applications where the spring rate is slightly higher than stock.
Old 11-05-10, 06:30 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
the GR2s are not identical to the OEM. The valving on the GR2 is stiffer and it feels that way too. I ran the GR2 with stock springs for a while and the ride was harsh. It felt rougher than the L-tuned/KYB combo I ran prior.

GR2s seems to do better in applications where the spring rate is slightly higher than stock.
Agreed, the daizens, DF's, and espelirs all seem to ride nice coupled with KYB's.
Old 05-17-11, 11:26 AM
putt4dough
Driver School Candidate

I have Tanabe DF210's w/ stock shocks....it still rides great!