Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS300 How to Drop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 01:10 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertoyou
haha yah i was thinking about 19"s and calling it a day too, but there would still be that gap that makes it look ugly

i want a decent drop to make it look good with 19"s (not too low) but just a good enough drop that it looks more sportier, but deff i want to keep as much of the luxury ride/comfort that i have on all stock right now.
That's pretty much what I want to do. Drop it a little, keep a decent ride and
improve the look. I'm not interested in the wheels being tucked behind the fender.
Old 05-31-10, 01:23 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiz88
That's pretty much what I want to do. Drop it a little, keep a decent ride and
improve the look. I'm not interested in the wheels being tucked behind the fender.
EXACTLY. no wheels under fender. i want as much of the stock ride/comfort as possible and lower it enough to look good.

performance isnt too important for me since i just use it as a daily driver, no crazy driving or drifting for me! lol

do you have any pics (from other gs owners around here) that have the look you want?
Old 05-31-10, 01:49 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

EXACTLY. no wheels under fender. i want as much of the stock ride/comfort as possible and lower it enough to look good.

performance isnt too important for me since i just use it as a daily driver, no crazy driving or drifting for me! lol

do you have any pics (from other gs owners around here) that have the look you want?
Yea check out this red gs on this thread. I like that look. Those might be 20" rims not sure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nt-bumper.html
Old 05-31-10, 02:02 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

This one is nice too although the backs look really close to the fender in the 2nd pic.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...of-my-gs4.html
Old 05-31-10, 02:51 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Yea check out this red gs on this thread. I like that look. Those might be 20" rims not sure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nt-bumper.html
This one is nice too although the backs look really close to the fender in the 2nd pic.
seems that we have very similar tastes! those drops look really good and arent too low

here are some that i like:
(2nd pic on this page)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...st-here-3.html

(1st pic on this page)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-here-13.html

well those are a couple i like. anyway..hopefully someone can jump in here and gives us some pointers on what we really need to do a simple drop. most people who do drops, do major drops, so idk if our type of drops would require less parts and less work.
Old 05-31-10, 02:52 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

based on some of the pics we posted, what hardware do you guys think we need?

someone had told me rcas were enough for that?

keep in mind we want a slight drop to look sporty yet we want as much oem comfort.

thanks to everyone helping, and sorry that im new and slow at this. never have gotten into suspension until now
Old 05-31-10, 03:01 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

and hey skiz88, i just noticed you were replying to my "best HID's" thread. and i saw your xenondepot hids that you just installed. they look good, is taht the car you want to give it a drop on?

well drop and hid's, looks like were on the same page, as far as what mods were doing to our cars.
Old 05-31-10, 05:24 PM
nokcy21
Driver

Yea from what I read it seems confusing, expensive and hard to do. Maybe I'll just get 19's and call it a day. There will still be a 2-3 inch gap though.
i got some wheels for sale and free lowering spring Tanabe df's. ride is not bouncy at all.
Old 05-31-10, 05:51 PM
98GS400GUY
Pit Crew

Be aware that your tires will start to wear more unevenly the lower you go (even Eibach, Tanabe, and Tein springs). With the factory alignment adjustments the car can't be aligned to specs even with the 1-2'' drop. Some cars can like the MKIV Supra's I've owned there was no problem aligning it right with Eibach Pro-Kit. This is why I haven't lowered my GS4 w/Eibach or Tanabe. I would love to fill up that gap and have better handling but I don't have the $ for camber kits and rca's that supposedly don't totally fix the alignment either. Buying new tires prematurely is also not an option for me. Just something to think about to save you headache and $ down the road.
Old 05-31-10, 06:08 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

and hey skiz88, i just noticed you were replying to my "best HID's" thread. and i saw your xenondepot hids that you just installed. they look good, is taht the car you want to give it a drop on?

well drop and hid's, looks like were on the same page, as far as what mods were doing to our cars.
It sure is. I'm waiting for 5000k bulbs in the mail and will post pics when I swap them out.
Old 05-31-10, 09:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 95GS300GUY
Be aware that your tires will start to wear more unevenly the lower you go (even Eibach, Tanabe, and Tein springs). With the factory alignment adjustments the car can't be aligned to specs even with the 1-2'' drop. Some cars can like the MKIV Supra's I've owned there was no problem aligning it right with Eibach Pro-Kit. This is why I haven't lowered my GS4 w/Eibach or Tanabe. I would love to fill up that gap and have better handling but I don't have the $ for camber kits and rca's that supposedly don't totally fix the alignment either. Buying new tires prematurely is also not an option for me. Just something to think about to save you headache and $ down the road.

You'll be fine with Eibach springs. I've had my car lowered on L-tuned springs which are essentially Eibach. L-tuned springs were dealer options anyways. With my alignment, there was no irregular wear for the 30k+ miles I've had on the tires. Stock adjustments are more than enough for these mild springs. In fact I'm on coilovers lowered down to 1 finger gap and the wear is virtually the same.
Old 05-31-10, 09:38 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by GSteg
You'll be fine with Eibach springs. I've had my car lowered on L-tuned springs which are essentially Eibach. L-tuned springs were dealer options anyways. With my alignment, there was no irregular wear for the 30k+ miles I've had on the tires. Stock adjustments are more than enough for these mild springs. In fact I'm on coilovers lowered down to 1 finger gap and the wear is virtually the same.
once again im lost. still a rookie, and i hav very little understanding of what any of this really means. =(
got damn it. im trying to keep up though

and now all these comments about it messing up other things or costing more money down the road to just do a drop, kind of scares me.
Old 05-31-10, 10:29 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
So you are saying just buy a set of Eibach springs and I am good to go with 19" wheels and no other adjustment mods?
Old 06-01-10, 12:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If you get Eibach springs, there should be enough camber/toe adjustments on the car to get it within 'stock' spec. 1" is a very small drop so you're not going to severely mess up your tires. You just need to make sure the tech sets the toe correctly and not just any number because his machine reads 'green'. Toyota would not release the Eibach/L-tuned springs if they caused that much wear on the tire. Toyota is very conservative.

My 1 finger gap all around with the factory camber bolt maxed out gave me a camber of -1.6 degrees all around. That is hardly anything.
Old 06-01-10, 12:13 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

This might sound stupid but here goes, is there any kind of mod or tweak that can lower the stock suspension?

Quick Reply: GS300 How to Drop?