Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

made myself bushings &my complete suspension overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 09:43 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default made myself bushings &my complete suspension overhaul

well my front LCA bushings have been out for awhile and did a real good search on control arms, bushings, alternatives, and so on.

my conclusion, im sticking with stock arms, no camber kits, no prothane, no daizen, but made myself my own delrin bushings. For those who put performance first, stated by Alex Pfeiffer. he is the only other one that i know that is running delrin bushings on the SC.

for the dimensions, i was lucky enough to have gotten an incomplete set of daizen bushings from another CL member, which i will be using to create my bushings.

that being said, lets begin!
i attacked the front first, got two seperate delrin rods for the upper and lower.

half of a upper bushing about to get turned.

left bushing is my delrin bushing, and the right is actually a Daizen bushing. compare!

slide two over an inner sleeve and that makes one upper control arm bushing

heres another shot, left is delrin, unfinished. sitting next to a daizen bushing on the right.

heres a complete front set. later this or next week ill start doing rears!

i should have some rear toe control rods coming in soon and an extra set of front LCA's to work with.

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-02-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 10:05 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Those look pretty damn good.

Do you intent to lube these?? If so, I think you might want to take a cue from the Diazens design and add those (axial ?) grooves in bore, as well as the slight chamfered edge at the lip of the bore on the inside surface where the two halves meet. Those both allow the bushings to "hold" lube and fit snugly together without getting locked up hydraulically by compressing otherwise trapped lube.
Old 06-02-10, 10:07 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats really impressive
Old 06-02-10, 10:12 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wish i could do this for all my rear bushings...good job!!
Old 06-02-10, 10:15 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

But the REAL question is . . .

CAN YOU MAKE SOME ECENTRIC CAMS AND BUSHINGS FOR THE UCA's ???????

We all need another source for camber correction kits
Old 06-02-10, 10:23 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you heard of the MK3 guys having issues with delrin bushings? It was due to the fact that some of the arms dont go just up and down on 1 axis, but also side to side? It wound up breaking arms and stuff... You may want to search it supramania... But looking good man!
Old 06-02-10, 10:24 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by good2go
Those look pretty damn good.

Do you intent to lube these?? If so, I think you might want to take a cue from the Diazens design and add those (axial ?) grooves in bore, as well as the slight chamfered edge at the lip of the bore on the inside surface where the two halves meet. Those both allow the bushings to "hold" lube and fit snugly together without getting locked up hydraulically by compressing otherwise trapped lube.
i can do those cutouts to hold lube/grease but at the same time, through the lathe i made small deeper rings within the bored center of the bushings. as far as the chamfered edges, my bushings all have that as well, my iphone just sucks to justify the craftsmanship haha! i will definitely take new quality photos to show the details.
&sadly, i dont have the time to bother making any camber kits/ eccentric cams that will change the adjustability of the stock bolts.

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Have you heard of the MK3 guys having issues with delrin bushings? It was due to the fact that some of the arms dont go just up and down on 1 axis, but also side to side? It wound up breaking arms and stuff... You may want to search it supramania... But looking good man!
i cant see how the front CA would move another axis other than just up an down, however for the rear i can believe, as i heard the term "4 wheel steering" before. which is actually a bushing i guess, that "flexes" while the car is turning- allowing the rear wheels to slightly turn in with the car.

im glad you pointed that out matt, i really have to consider what you said, but best to my knowledge is our front control arms [upper &lower] only swing in 1 axis.

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-02-10 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 10:37 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fenderub
. . . sadly, i dont have the time to bother making any camber kits/ eccentric cams that will change the adjustability of the stock bolts.

Old 06-02-10, 11:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The arms can move in more than just 1-axis due to the bumps in the road and the forces that's associated with the impact. The thing that keeps the CA from moving side to side is your caster. Imagine having worn out bushings...the CA will definitely move everywhere!
Old 06-02-10, 11:33 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

GSteg, i understand, but isnt that why we have the outer edges that step infront and behind the CA? to cushion that lateral movement?

because it is delrin, its hard, and no more "cushion" compared to polyurethane and rubber bushings. but as stated before, this is for performance only, not daily i would say. theres no other way to find out than testing it though
Old 06-03-10, 07:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

The outer lip is not enough. Delrin will still compress to a degree. I can kick the control arm laterally and it'll still move, although not as much. Energy has to be deflected somewhere. When you factor in the forces on the road with the car traveling at X speed, there is a lot of moment/torque that the bushings will experience. What's the Rockwell Hardness value on your Delrin part?
Old 06-03-10, 08:19 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

by the law of energy, it does have to go somewhere. im no professional or genius so im learning alot here through my project and build.

the delrin rods i have are valued at m89/r122
Old 06-03-10, 11:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

R122 is definitely up there with polycarbonate! Hopefully it won't be as brittle under loading. Let us know how it turns out
Old 06-03-10, 04:56 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

up close &personal with the LCA bushings

getting rid of that rubber, burning it down doesnt get rid of it that easy, just makes it easier to scrape off.

pressing it in:

and bam:

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-03-10 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 05:48 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dayummm impressive

Quick Reply: made myself bushings &my complete suspension overhaul