Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What am I doing!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 11:10 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Once again I agree with this, and I'd like to add to it. My IS250 is on bone stock suspension no mods to it as of yet. I hit the track last year and had absolutely no real issue with the cars body roll. Like Lance mentioned once you get a feel of how much you can push it and modulate the cars body roll with your cornering you'll never have a side to side rolling on the car. I'd say that I've used what I have to learn from it and even when doing a hard corner with a powerslide I've never had to deal with the car rocking. People really like to underestimate this cars ability, on track day I passed a Porche, GT40 with a terrible driver, fully modded Integra, Mustang GT's, all this in my bone stock IS250, heck I even took turn 9 flat out. To break it down to you you'll be ok with your BC coils. If comfort is your need then set it to it's softest setting. I for one have no need for coils as of yet I'm taking it one step at a time. I'm installing my F-Sport full suspension system soon and I'm going to test it out in August at Laguna Seca. I'll do some reviews on how the car felt after the major upgrade.
Old 06-17-10, 11:28 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry not all of us are pro drivers like you. and most of us won't be. so for those of us who suck, we can do simple things to our cars that make it more pleasurable to drive "spirited"

To add more: In everyday driving you can't drive like you would on a track, which i'm sure you know. taking turns extra wide, starting on the outside of the turn, hitting the inside at the apex of the turn, then coming back out. When making turns at a street light, it really reduces body roll, which i'm sure you already know. The suspension on the IS is floaty. how is that preferable 150 bucks for the sway vs, hundreds and hundreds for frequent track visits(to be a "pro" driver), for the classes, with gas costs, eating up tires/ brake pads, and road trips to the track if its not local <--- All of which i know you already knew. I prefer to not have the feeling that my car is tipping over to the right or floating when i make a left hand turn. and i prefer that the weight stays as centralized and low as possible. wouldn't you?

we're not all as hardcore as you

Last edited by xuningshen; 06-17-10 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-20-10, 07:29 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

^^

I completely agree with this...just different drivers expect different things
Old 06-21-10, 09:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by xuningshen
Sorry not all of us are pro drivers like you. and most of us won't be. so for those of us who suck, we can do simple things to our cars that make it more pleasurable to drive "spirited"

To add more: In everyday driving you can't drive like you would on a track, which i'm sure you know. taking turns extra wide, starting on the outside of the turn, hitting the inside at the apex of the turn, then coming back out. When making turns at a street light, it really reduces body roll, which i'm sure you already know. The suspension on the IS is floaty. how is that preferable 150 bucks for the sway vs, hundreds and hundreds for frequent track visits(to be a "pro" driver), for the classes, with gas costs, eating up tires/ brake pads, and road trips to the track if its not local <--- All of which i know you already knew. I prefer to not have the feeling that my car is tipping over to the right or floating when i make a left hand turn. and i prefer that the weight stays as centralized and low as possible. wouldn't you?

we're not all as hardcore as you
You're missing the point. I'd bet money the bone stock car will outperform your modified car in many ways if you would just invest in yourself instead of your car. But since you've decided changing parts is better and cheaper than learning how to take advantage of them with the necessary skills, you're pretty well stuck looking for the next important part to bolt on your car to make it better.

If you spent the money on yourself and learning to drive, the skills you pick up will apply to anything you drive making you better and safer for yourself and anyone who rides with you. Your arguments about street performance are just plain wrong. Everything you learn about car control applies whenever and wherever you drive.

If I followed your logic, then I would believe the only difference between me and Michael Schumacher is the car he drives is better. Nothing could be more wrong. Schumacher could school me in anything he drives from karts to F1 because he knows how to drive a car better than most people in the world. Nothing short of health problems can take that away.

Add to this, the OP ADMITS he knows nothing about suspension. Do you really think bolting on a part is going to make things better? I don't.
Old 06-21-10, 10:43 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

So i guess if you know nothing of suspension, your a nooby driver..