Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered problem/Alignment issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 05:25 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
Dudes, this is the most unbelievable thing I ever went through with my car. I appreciate all your input. I'm in Syracuse ny. Will be in city for fourth of July weekend. Just didn't plan on bringing my car. Any more info would be great. ESP if upstategs knows anyone in Rochester that'd be closer.
Wow... your really up, up upstate. Didn't realize you were that far up there. Any luck on finding another shop or contacting UPSTATEGS?

Originally Posted by SpecProd
This statement is incorrect.

First off, lets start with what were the readings? While some negative camber is not always harmful and is actually required in some applications that blanket statement does not cover a range. If you are 2-3* out of spec, you can bet you are going to have pre-mature and un-even tire wear.

Second, you are correct about toe, having you car out of toe spec can literally translate ( over a year) of you dragging your tire sideways on the ground for miles.

Third, Caster is an alignment/ steering angle. It is the forward or backward tilt of the upper ball joint or top of the strut relative to the lower ball joint. This will ONLY affect steering ability and how your wheel returns. Improper caster does not have a direct affect on tire wear.

As for the OP, post your specs and I ( or other members) can help you out.

Thanks!

Travis
Specialty Products / SPC Performance
I don't think what he said is entirely incorrect. The OP did state in his opening post that his car was not lowered that much so I would think there's not a high level of negative camber. Actual numbers would be great but he was not able to get them.
Old 06-23-10, 02:57 PM
SpecProd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life

I don't think what he said is entirely incorrect.
I would agree, certainly numbers help, my issue was with the blanket statement about camber and the statement about caster.

To the OP, did they give a reason? Seems strange they wont even put it on the rack. I know some shops dont like lowered cars because of the ramps to put in on, we have a pit style machine that's level with the ground so clearance isn't an issue, maybe call around and see if anyone has that style?
Old 08-23-10, 09:02 AM
d3fc0N_21
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecProd
This statement is incorrect.

First off, lets start with what were the readings? While some negative camber is not always harmful and is actually required in some applications that blanket statement does not cover a range. If you are 2-3* out of spec, you can bet you are going to have pre-mature and un-even tire wear.

Second, you are correct about toe, having you car out of toe spec can literally translate ( over a year) of you dragging your tire sideways on the ground for miles.

Third, Caster is an alignment/ steering angle. It is the forward or backward tilt of the upper ball joint or top of the strut relative to the lower ball joint. This will ONLY affect steering ability and how your wheel returns. Improper caster does not have a direct affect on tire wear.

As for the OP, post your specs and I ( or other members) can help you out.

Thanks!

Travis
Specialty Products / SPC Performance
Sorry for thread jacking OP but I am in a similar situation. I went to an alignment shop and they did put my car on the rack. Unfortunately, I don't have the specs on-hand.

Travis, I lowered the vehicle using TEIN S.Tech Springs / 1.5" drop (stock wheels) so I am not surprised with the negative camber and inner tire wear. The alignment shop did adjust it as close as they can to spec for free since I take my other vehicle there for other services.

I saw these kits on L-Tuned ...

Rear Camber Adjuster Upper Arms

Adjuster Lower Arms (I'm assuming this is to adjust toe?)

Do you recommend another brand and what else will I need to get alignment adjusted properly to spec? Most likely I will purchase both front and rear adjustment kit. I would rather spend the money on the kit(s) than spend more money on tires in the long run.