Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover spring rate/ height debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 01:43 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
JIC is known in the car community to have poor customer service. It's not just a one-time thing either. Search most forums and they'll all say the same. It's one thing for them to pick up the phone and talk to you, but it's a whole different thing when you actually need to rebuild the coils. I've got lots of friends with JICs but the relatively low shock life and super long turnaround time has swayed most of them to go with a different setup.
I can't speak for other I can only speak for my self. i can keep these i just don't want to cut a hole in my car to drive low.
Old 07-05-10, 01:45 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5t341th
no rca's. i see no need for em.
the RCA brings the uca down more. so actually, theres more clearance from the wheel well.
i forgot about those.
Thanks bro, what about tire wear without the rca's.
Old 07-05-10, 01:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wasn't 'arguing'. I was responding to your first post where you said:

Originally Posted by nar8ta
...BC's don't drop low at all, so they are out of the question.
Clearly they can drop lower than you initially thought, so that's why I mentioned it because it could be a solution to your problem. Not sure why you would even mention BC coils in the first place if they're not for you.

I can't speak for other I can only speak for my self. i can keep these i just don't want to cut a hole in my car to drive low.
Have you tried contacting JIC to see how much they charge for a spring swap and shock revalving job?
Old 07-05-10, 02:10 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitely get stiffer springs if you want to slam and drive around NY streets. I just bought Tanabe shorter springs but haven't installed it yet for my HKS coils.
Old 07-05-10, 02:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

BTW, unless I didn't read correct, what model JIC coilovers do you have at the moment? Knowing the current spring rate could provide you with a good idea of how much stiffer you want your next coilovers to be. There seems to be only two JIC models that I could find for the 2GS, one is 14/10 and the other is 12/8. Which one do you have?
Old 07-05-10, 04:49 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

I wasn't 'arguing'. I was responding to your first post where you said:

Clearly they can drop lower than you initially thought, so that's why I mentioned it because it could be a solution to your problem. Not sure why you would even mention BC coils in the first place if they're not for you.

Have you tried contacting JIC to see how much they charge for a spring swap and shock revalving job?
LOL Dude let it go or go in this thread and make your point.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ilovers-7.html

I'll looked into it a spring upgrade.

BTW, unless I didn't read correct, what model JIC coilovers do you have at the moment? Knowing the current spring rate could provide you with a good idea of how much stiffer you want your next coilovers to be. There seems to be only two JIC models that I could find for the 2GS, one is 14/10 and the other is 12/8. Which one do you have?
Not sure, but I think they are 12/8.

Originally Posted by dsouth
I'd definitely get stiffer springs if you want to slam and drive around NY streets. I just bought Tanabe shorter springs but haven't installed it yet for my HKS coils.
What up homie, last we spoke you were loving the HKS's. I heard the HKS's ride great but are soft as well.

Last edited by nar8ta; 07-05-10 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 05:59 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

What up homie, last we spoke you were loving the HKS's. I heard the HKS's ride great but are soft as well.[/QUOTE]

What's good, yea It'll take air for me to get rid of my HKS's. I've since bought shorter and stiffer springs to achieve that VIP stance I'm going for.

Then rims and officially gonna retire the 2GS and move on to an LS or just leave cars stock from now on.

I'm loving the progress of yo whip btw.
Old 07-05-10, 08:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

LOL Dude let it go or go in this thread and make your point.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ilovers-7.html
I've already made my point in that thread

Sorry if what I say isn't what you're wanting to hear. I've already given you possible solutions as to what you can do with your problem, which was basically echoed by other members as well. I was just clarifying a few things.

Stance spring rates are 14/10 which isn't too far off from what the JIC offers. You can try contacting JIC to see if their 14/10 springs are compatible with your current coilovers. It's not a surprise that many companies change spring rates while using the same dampers, and then relabeling it as a different model
Old 07-06-10, 12:28 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

I've already made my point in that thread

Sorry if what I say isn't what you're wanting to hear. I've already given you possible solutions as to what you can do with your problem, which was basically echoed by other members as well. I was just clarifying a few things.

Stance spring rates are 14/10 which isn't too far off from what the JIC offers. You can try contacting JIC to see if their 14/10 springs are compatible with your current coilovers. It's not a surprise that many companies change spring rates while using the same dampers, and then relabeling it as a different model
Isn't what I want to hear? What are u talking about?

Thanks for the info but your approach is a bit overbearing. Its not what it's how.

But again thank you!
Old 07-06-10, 12:32 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

[/QUOTE]

What's good, yea It'll take air for me to get rid of my HKS's. I've since bought shorter and stiffer springs to achieve that VIP stance I'm going for.

Then rims and officially gonna retire the 2GS and move on to an LS or just leave cars stock from now on.

I'm loving the progress of yo whip btw.[/QUOTE]

Cousin your car is crazy! Thanks homie for the Love. The car is going into the body shop next week (L sportline front bumper, JP replica roof spoiler, and some body work done). I'll keep you posted.

Don't retire it homie, keep it. Let me know how the springs ride.
Old 07-06-10, 07:04 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have JIC FLT-A2's in 14/10.
I had them rebuilt and yes the customer service can be greatly improved but all in all not impossible to work with.
At first they were a little jarring for daily use but I have adjusted them down and gotten used to them.
Yes they can slam the car with just the damper body adjustment. Which is a plus.
I run mine about the same height as you nar8ta and I have little to no banging from the UCA to the inner fender well.
I would bet our roads are similar.. maybe not as bad but close. Wisconsin winters kill the surface here so its a daily challenge and once the crews repair them.. winter is here again!
Old 07-06-10, 07:20 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by GSJake
I have JIC FLT-A2's in 14/10.
I had them rebuilt and yes the customer service can be greatly improved but all in all not impossible to work with.
At first they were a little jarring for daily use but I have adjusted them down and gotten used to them.
Yes they can slam the car with just the damper body adjustment. Which is a plus.
I run mine about the same height as you nar8ta and I have little to no banging from the UCA to the inner fender well.
I would bet our roads are similar.. maybe not as bad but close. Wisconsin winters kill the surface here so its a daily challenge and once the crews repair them.. winter is here again!
Good Info! So you had them revalved stiffer, and did they change the spring rates or stayed with the same spring? You said Jarring (your scaring me LOL)? In what way? So you soften the strut up to compensate right?

Thanks for checking in. Also load up a pic.
Old 07-07-10, 01:46 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I just had them rebuilt. They were already the 14/10 combo so the valving would be the same.
Jarring in the sense that i felt every little bump and imperfection on the road. I then adjusted the damper to a softer setting and have been happy. It has 15 adjustments or clicks. I have it at 3 from the softest and that seems like my sweet spot. When\if I take it to a SCCA event this summer I will of course tighten it up.
I have some pics in this thread..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nd-a-drop.html
Old 07-07-10, 05:27 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I think that BC thread may have been overblown a bit. I for one was a bit surprised when I saw the initial pic that was posted on how low it goes. After some clarifications it looks I'll still go with BC.

nar8ta - As for the UCA hitting, I've seen some pics of a hole being cut and a raised box being placed over the hole to prevent water and debris from getting into the engine bay. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!
Old 07-07-10, 08:12 PM
duckJAI
Driver

I have stance coilovers that I just put on and almost no preload at the moment. Dampening is set to 5 all around.

I think the GS is too heavy and when I cruise fast and hit a dip, i bottom out most of the time and the UCA hits. I definitely want to stiffen up the whole ride.

I'm not sure how much stance can be preloaded to...when I had my 240sx i did 1/4" all around but not sure if you can do more or less with the GS300 stance models.

Does anyone know whats the maximum you can preload?

Also, what is the real difference between preload and dampening?
If I'm speeding through and I hit a little dip in the road, which would help me not to bottom out. More preload or more dampening?

Quick Reply: Coilover spring rate/ height debate