Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover spring rate/ height debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 09:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Are the UCA hitting the fender during the dip or when you're exiting the dip?
Old 07-07-10, 09:24 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While entering the dip.

The gravity pulling the GS down, seems like the coilovers are not stiff enough to handle all that weight coming down.....it bottoms out.

I've been reading up extensively on preload and how it can be good/bad, so much info on the internets. How you have to find the sweet spot depending on total stroke etc etc. Still trying to find some answers on how to calculate how much preload is good but it's also very dependent on spring rate and also how much the car weights (4,000lbs approx) for the GS300 iirc.
Old 07-08-10, 08:05 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I just had them rebuilt. They were already the 14/10 combo so the valving would be the same.
Jarring in the sense that i felt every little bump and imperfection on the road. I then adjusted the damper to a softer setting and have been happy. It has 15 adjustments or clicks. I have it at 3 from the softest and that seems like my sweet spot. When\if I take it to a SCCA event this summer I will of course tighten it up.
I have some pics in this thread..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nd-a-drop.html

Thanks for the info bro.

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I think that BC thread may have been overblown a bit. I for one was a bit surprised when I saw the initial pic that was posted on how low it goes. After some clarifications it looks I'll still go with BC.

nar8ta - As for the UCA hitting, I've seen some pics of a hole being cut and a raised box being placed over the hole to prevent water and debris from getting into the engine bay. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!
Explain how the BC thread has been over blown. If you have to modify them to go lower than that picture, then I don't want them. If you don't have to modify them then I will revisit the BC's. I'm on twenties so naturally my car is going to be higher. Most here ride on 19's.

Mine don't feel like that, they feel great until you hit a pot hole or dip then the UCA bangs. I really don't want to chop up my car but i may have to.

Originally Posted by duckJAI
I have stance coilovers that I just put on and almost no preload at the moment. Dampening is set to 5 all around.

I think the GS is too heavy and when I cruise fast and hit a dip, i bottom out most of the time and the UCA hits. I definitely want to stiffen up the whole ride.

I'm not sure how much stance can be preloaded to...when I had my 240sx i did 1/4" all around but not sure if you can do more or less with the GS300 stance models.

Does anyone know whats the maximum you can preload?

Also, what is the real difference between preload and dampening?
If I'm speeding through and I hit a little dip in the road, which would help me not to bottom out. More preload or more dampening?
Dag, how low are you? post a pic.

Last edited by nar8ta; 07-08-10 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 09:24 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for me at least I thought that was the maximum drop for both the front and rear which I wasn't feeling one bit. Apparently the rears go lower without having to mess with the spring perch like the fronts.

I hear ya on the UCA part but sooner or later that banging will become annoying. But then again it depends on how often it does hit.
Old 07-09-10, 01:17 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read the whole post so I'm not sure if the question was answered, but the JIC coilovers on this white GS was lowered using the spring perch to slam the car for the car show only. It was raised back up right after the show. The normal driving ride height was nowhere near that low. It was just for show.

Old 07-09-10, 10:43 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I didn't read the whole post so I'm not sure if the question was answered, but the JIC coilovers on this white GS was lowered using the spring perch to slam the car for the car show only. It was raised back up right after the show. The normal driving ride height was nowhere near that low. It was just for show.

Thanks but there was no question in that. The question was how low can the JIC's slam. This is why I used that pic.
Old 08-09-10, 11:48 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

updates^^
Old 08-09-10, 12:29 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

The Update is I have a new Crazy Issue LOL.... I went with a stiffer set up to lessen the bottoming out do to the HORRIBLE NYC streets.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...p-springs.html

Last edited by nar8ta; 08-09-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-20-10, 09:34 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so you guys are aware, the stock BCR kit will get the GS low enough for most people. For those of you who want the absolute lowest ride and want to cue holes for your control arms, etc. we can do an "extreme drop" kit. You will have NO issues going as low as possible on a GS with that ED kit.

We like the BCR coilovers because we can customize upper mounts, spring rates and "drop" kits.

If anyone is intersted just shoot us a PM
Old 08-22-10, 04:11 PM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Just so you guys are aware, the stock BCR kit will get the GS low enough for most people. For those of you who want the absolute lowest ride and want to cue holes for your control arms, etc. we can do an "extreme drop" kit. You will have NO issues going as low as possible on a GS with that ED kit.

We like the BCR coilovers because we can customize upper mounts, spring rates and "drop" kits.

If anyone is intersted just shoot us a PM
I'm very much interested, but I've seen different results/drop from members who've posted pics who went with the stock BCR kit.... some posted pics lower than others which confused/confuses me.... exactly what are the specs for the stock BCR kit????