Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Would you recommend Ground Control Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 10:50 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...light=bilstein

I have the 600f 325r and it is amazing for street handling.
Old 07-11-10, 12:06 PM
nolexhere
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the gixxer set up is extremely popular and has been around for a while. Also ground control has extremely overpriced products. You can go through and get sleeves, springs, and everything from others for cheaper and end up with the same thing. Thing about those ebay sleeve kits people mentioned is they are very cheaply made. I wouldn't really trust them for anything since I have known people that refused to listen to me and bought them anyway just to see the perches snap ect. Some of them end up running just the springs for a while with nothing else until they can afford replacements and even the springs are bad. They sag like mad and have horrible rates so basically what I'm saying is every part of those kits is crap. What exactly are you trying to achieve? A low ride, better handling, or ect?
Old 07-12-10, 06:37 AM
korosei
Rookie

dont waste your hard earned money !
Old 07-12-10, 08:19 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

F it dude... Get NEX coilovers for the same price...
Old 07-12-10, 09:39 AM
nolexhere
Driver

Getting some coilovers for the price of a sleeve kit from ground control doesn't always mean they are good lol. I personally haven't seen anyone run nex minus honda guys. It's been a while since I chatted with any of them so don't know how good they are but I have a guess.
Old 07-12-10, 05:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I know a few CL guys who are using NEX coilovers because it does what they need them to do and that is to lower the car at the lowest price possible. Lots of lower-end coilovers will do that for you.

It's the logic some people use is what drives me nuts, specifically "for the price of shock/spring, you can spend a bit more and get coilovers." Yes that is true..the cost of high quality shock and spring setup will cost as much as a POS coilover. Having coilovers do not automatically mean you're 'doing it right', especially if you're considering low-end coils. Look to spend closer to $1000 if you want to some decent coilovers.
Old 07-12-10, 05:37 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow there is alot of mis-information on this thread. I know Im new here but I might as well put on the flame suit once before I get to a hundred posts. A simple google search will bring up that IN-FACT ground controls(properly weighted) with Tokico's whites, or Bilsteins are an amazing budget setup. 10x better than any of the SO-Called JDM brand coilovers. Yes, even better than my (free)PBM's, the (sponsored-shhhhh)Stances on my S14 and the Teins on my wifes S13. You will see a ton of auto-x/time attack honda's/corollas ect... running these setups with amazing results. Decent Coilovers will cost you over 2-3k period. Most entry level coilovers are valved for drifting remember that.(drift valving = the SUCK) Heck even Zeals shock dyno's were crap. Now if your just looking to dump/slam and hella-flush your car, just buy some cheap ching chong megans. They'll do the trick....

Sorry guys just had to vent a little.
Old 07-12-10, 06:43 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13
Wow there is alot of mis-information on this thread. I know Im new here but I might as well put on the flame suit once before I get to a hundred posts. A simple google search will bring up that IN-FACT ground controls(properly weighted) with Tokico's whites, or Bilsteins are an amazing budget setup. 10x better than any of the SO-Called JDM brand coilovers. Yes, even better than my (free)PBM's, the (sponsored-shhhhh)Stances on my S14 and the Teins on my wifes S13. You will see a ton of auto-x/time attack honda's/corollas ect... running these setups with amazing results. Decent Coilovers will cost you over 2-3k period. Most entry level coilovers are valved for drifting remember that.(drift valving = the SUCK) Heck even Zeals shock dyno's were crap. Now if your just looking to dump/slam and hella-flush your car, just buy some cheap ching chong megans. They'll do the trick....

100% agree. properly valves coilovers like KW, ohlins, or koni(custom) will run you in the 3-5 range.

the only way to get them cheap is to know people. last time i checked with my connection at Truesport who makes Koni's, i can get a custom set of 3 ways for about 2600.

about valving for drifting=sucks its true too. they use stiff springs to cover up for lack of proper damping.

i personally have stances on my sc300 and my s13 vert. both cars handle well for what it is but i would definitely not use them for any type of grip driving.

if i were to use stances for grip driving i would get the car corner weighed, select the tires i will run, get them in 2 ways, and aluminum housing instead of normally steel. that would be a customs stance setup that will run in the low to mid 2000's. so you get what you pay for.
Old 07-12-10, 06:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The next few post will be: "well I have (insert poopy brand) and they ride great!"

The Japanese sucks at shock valving, with Tein being the biggest offender in my eyes. They can't valve like the American or Europeans. However the Taiwanese BC Racing coils seem to be decent for street since it's not terribly expensive ($1000 shipped) and its valvings are okay enough to not make your dentures fall off.
Old 07-12-10, 08:32 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13

One-hundred and ten percent agreed. The stiff-enough-to-slam-and-drift coil-overs being used by 90% of coil-over owners on the street suck. Many people just think that because they have zero body roll that they are handling optimally.
Old 07-12-10, 08:33 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

I'm actually just gonna take out my shocks and weld a steel tube in place.
Old 07-12-10, 08:50 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by romycha1
I'm actually just gonna take out my shocks and weld a steel tube in place.
At least you wont have to worry about rubbing.
Old 07-12-10, 09:34 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL flame suit off..... Simply reading the first page soo full of fail I cringed on my toilet seat. I sea people with thousands of posts which if they had been posted on zilvia(the Sparta of car boards and wheel fitment) they would have had their accounts suspended or laughed at till the thread got locked. Whether it's a coilover sleeve over an awesome shock or a sorry *** spring on a threaded Chinese pepsi can full of oil it's still a coilover. A gc setup is a budget quality coilover. But it is not cheap at all. Shocks and gc custom springs plus assembly labor will run you around 1400.00. Still that's only half the price of an ohlins or bilstein coilover setup. Remember if Japanese suspension companies were any good Nissan would have used the on the gtr. But instead they used bilsteins.

Sorry for the typos typed on my iPhone...
Old 07-13-10, 01:04 PM
Shanty
Driver

I am even more confused now than I was before. I don't know that much about suspension in practice. I understand conceptually what the idea is (lower center of gravity, but still absorbing energy so it doesn't get forced to the wheels, etc).

I don't want to track my car. I want it to look really good and handle better than stock. I was going to go with the 800-900 dollar entry level coilovers that are all over ebay and other outlets, but now it seems like maybe I should just do the Eibach lowering springs and get some decent KYB's underneath them?

Could one of you encyclopedias help me out here? It seems like the more I read about this I should stick with street solutions and not look for race inspired (but hollow shells of true racing equip) stuff.
Old 07-13-10, 01:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

There is nothing wrong with an $800-900 coilover setup. You pay extra for its ride height adjustment. I know a lot of guys want to lower their cars but sometimes the available springs out there may not be enough to do what the user wants. Avoid $800-900 coilovers if you're serious about tracking. Like I said, the Ground Control paired with Koni shocks are the minimum I would even consider for tracking. For daily driving? Most Taiwanese/Chinese/Korean coilovers will do the job.

Quick Reply: Would you recommend Ground Control Coilovers?