Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clanking or rattling

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 02:05 AM
Darein23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking or rattling

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT Clanking NOISE IS UNDER THE REAR OF MY gS400? ITS LIKE A Rattling noise? Has anyone had this problem? If so i need your input...
Old 07-09-10, 08:09 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you see when raised the car on stands to inspect? Maybe take a picture of the problem for us to help identify the part.
Old 07-11-10, 06:49 AM
SICKGS400
Rookie

I have the same problem with my gs4..I jacked the car up and went under there looking for any loose parts and everything seemed to be intact.. I cant figure out wat it is, but its driving me crazy.. somenone help us..
Old 07-11-10, 08:36 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

when was the last time you changed your shocks? maybe it's time. the noise is coming from the springs i predict.
Old 07-11-10, 11:00 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it rattle only when you press lightly on the gas?? metal to metal rattle? I had the same issue if that is the same sounds problems youre having.

It was the entire heat shield protecting the exhaust pipe. i tried using the clamp method with a piece of rubber underneath and that didnt work at all, only eliminated the sound at idle but once you accelerate it comes back. took off both ends from the Y pipe towards the center and all the sounds are gone now. if you live in a area where you need that extra protection you can go to any muffler shop to have them weld down the areas that came loose to stop the rattling.
Old 07-11-10, 02:04 PM
Darein23
Driver School Candidate

i think its in the rear Hub. because it only does it at low speeds then goes away. its a clanking noise only in the rear. i took the whole thing apart and there's nothing lose or missing. i don't have any idea. I also know that it has to do with weight because when its running up on the lift there's no noise at all
Old 07-11-10, 02:09 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

same problem??????and its getting really anoying especially when you try to roll slow by ppl in the park .....CLANk CLANk CLANK and evey ony turns on u like** is going on with ur LEX :C
Old 07-12-10, 08:56 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

did you guys check all the heat shields? on top of the muffler, exhaust pipe in the center to the y pipe?

when i had the heat shield problem, you CANT hear it when you're at park or just revving at idle. only when you accelerate to a certain point it goes away. does it sound like a bunch of rocks inside a tin can rattling? check the link out maybe itll help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...converter.html
Old 07-12-10, 11:27 AM
fastryan
Driver

stock or replaced shocks? if recently replaced, there is a little washer shaped like a hat, that sits on top of the shock shaft that the bump shop rests on. if the washer is installed with the big end down, it makes a horrible creaking metal sound or even a pop. gotta be big end up.
Old 07-13-10, 06:15 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Darein23
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT Clanking NOISE IS UNDER THE REAR OF MY gS400? ITS LIKE A Rattling noise? Has anyone had this problem? If so i need your input...
I have the same noise on my 98GS4 and it is Driving Me Crazy also! It sounds like a light metal "jingle" type noise mostly from the passenger rear. The strange thing is the noise doesn't happen over large bumps or large amounts of suspension travel, rather its the very small movements over broken or slightly bumpy pavement that make this hard to diagnose. It also sounds a little like an aluminum can just touching the inner fender and making a little racket over these same imperfections. If you ride with the windows up all the time you will not notice this noise. The only way you will hear it is over the mentioned road irregularities on a relatively quiet road with the windows down.

I have been under my car numerous times checking; all the exhaust heat shields front to back, brake disc shields, plastic underbody airflow redirectors around the rear lower control arms and rear tires, fuel and brake lines, charcoal cannister above the rear diff, rear bumper cover over the bumper frame, I have even tapped on the frame rails looking to see if a bolt or something got trapped inside but Nothing has yielded or proven to solve this noise.

I even had the shop that I have my lifetime balance and rotation contract with, drive the car and do a full inspection on a 4 post lift to see if they could figure out anything and they did not. I have worked on cars for 15+ years and have done just about everything on a car short of a engine or trans full rebuild but I must say this is stumping me beyond belief. Anyone have a Fix for this??
Old 07-13-10, 06:27 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Darein23
i think its in the rear Hub. because it only does it at low speeds then goes away. its a clanking noise only in the rear. i took the whole thing apart and there's nothing lose or missing. i don't have any idea. I also know that it has to do with weight because when its running up on the lift there's no noise at all
I think you might be onto something with this but what exactly do you mean when you say, "it has to do with weight"? It wouldn't be the wheel bearings as they would make a ton of noise and get worse with speed.

I almost feel like its a washer inside the shock tube or something with a very small mass, as anything with a more substantial mass would make a heavier/lower frequency noise.

Anyone have a clue on this one?
Old 07-16-10, 05:45 AM
Darein23
Driver School Candidate

I just had the heat shields checked and there good. I wonder if it has anything to do with rim size weight. I have no idea
Old 05-08-12, 12:39 AM
2nd.2.none
Driver School Candidate

check your wheel bearings
Old 05-08-12, 01:34 AM
WLGS01
Pole Position

This thread is old but I got the problem too. So I recently lowered my car and keep having this rattling noise (aside from the clunks and whatnot) when I'm on bumpy roads. I'm looking into replacing my bushings. My coilovers are on tight. What else should I look into?

I'm pretty much a newbie so details would help. Thanks.
Old 05-08-12, 06:52 AM
MonkikiX
Driver School Candidate

I second the old thread acknowledgement but my bone stock GS400 does the same. When I turn left at low speeds it is a consistent *tick* *tick* *tick* like a bad CV joint on a FWD car that changes with wheel rotation speed and a low speed thin/hollow metal rattle over uneven roads. I'm wondering if it is something to do with brake pads or shims but mine are all secure and don't move. I've checked the dust shield and inspected the caliper mounting bolts and suspension bushings thinking it may be a slightly loose rear subframe bolt allowing a small amount of travel. Still stumped though.

Quick Reply: Clanking or rattling