Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

D2 racing type rs coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 10:48 AM
votinh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 racing type rs coilovers

Hi Guys,

Have anyone installed D2 RACING TYPE RS COILOVERS LEXUS 98-05 GS300/400 to their car? what do you think of price/quality? for me, the price is affordable. but im not sure about the quality.

if you have installed D2 to your 2GS, how does it feel compare to stock suspension? My goal is just to lower the car, make it looks nice, and keep as comfort as possible. Right now i still have the stock 16" rim. later i will put in either 19" or 20" rim.
Old 07-10-10, 08:03 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by votinh
Hi Guys,

Have anyone installed D2 RACING TYPE RS COILOVERS LEXUS 98-05 GS300/400 to their car? what do you think of price/quality? for me, the price is affordable. but im not sure about the quality.

if you have installed D2 to your 2GS, how does it feel compare to stock suspension? My goal is just to lower the car, make it looks nice, and keep as comfort as possible. Right now i still have the stock 16" rim. later i will put in either 19" or 20" rim.
I have personally tested D2 products for the past 7 years and have nothing but good things to say about their products. The coilover setup on my 2GS is customized to my spec rather than the off the shelf setup that they provide. I feel that the off the shelf product has a higher valving rate than I would prefer. There's a few member on this board in which I have helped in selecting a D2 coilover setup in which they are very satisfied. oh, the coilover on my 2gs has been on there for over 4 years now with over 60k miles and still going strong.
Old 07-12-10, 09:14 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO I would just go with soemthing better. I would recommend going with the BCR coilovers, they don't cost much more and have better features. Like locking lower rings, beefier shock bodies, available rubber mounts, and better ride quality.
Old 07-12-10, 03:12 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
IMO I would just go with soemthing better. I would recommend going with the BCR coilovers, they don't cost much more and have better features. Like locking lower rings, beefier shock bodies, available rubber mounts, and better ride quality.
OP, I'm not here to sway your opinion, but I'll help you out with clearing up some of the things CircuitMS is trying to say that is supposedly better than the D2's. The D2's were one of the first to use a locking lower perch to solve the problem that Tein's had with the shock body rotating which will change ride height. Next is the shock bodies, from what I know since day one from using D2's, there has never been a shock body failure. Maybe the other companies are advertising this because they are poorly built and had to make revision over the years. But one thing that hasn't changed with D2's is this. Rubber mounts are not needed if a coilover is built properly and installed properly as their would be no noise that will be transferred to the cabin. Lastly, one thing that I see misuse with all vendor is that they claim that their coilover provide "better ride quality". Better ride quality is like saying that my Moton's are better than your chinese coilover. But one must know that proper setup is key to any suspension, so if you don't know how to setup your $5k Moton setup, it is useless!!!
Old 07-13-10, 03:00 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you need pillowball mounts on your Lexus?

Because someone told you they were better? Because Race cars use them?

A pillowball mount is USELESS on a street driven Lexus. It is a metal-to-metal bearing. They will wear out faster than a rubber insert mount and a metal bearing will directly transfer any noise and vibration through the coilover to the chassis of the vehicle. It has nothing to do with "proper setup", it is a fact.
Old 07-21-10, 11:58 AM
votinh
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your responses.

I asked the saleman for his recommendation on the D2 coilover springrate. The salesman recommended that, it's best to stay with factory setting of the coilover. Because its tested for certain car. The factory setting for front is 18.6kg and 9.8kg for the rear.
I just wondering is that a little too stiff for the front?
Old 07-21-10, 10:23 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for your responses.

I asked the saleman for his recommendation on the D2 coilover springrate. The salesman recommended that, it's best to stay with factory setting of the coilover. Because its tested for certain car. The factory setting for front is 18.6kg and 9.8kg for the rear.
I just wondering is that a little too stiff for the front?
The salesman doesn't know what he's talking about and purely pulling this info out of his butt to make a sales. The factory spring rates that is designed by D2 engineers are designed the roads overseas. I've tested almost all the combination of springs that D2 has over the years and have pretty much nailed it down pat. It's funny how start-up company's are releasing new coilover that have similar rates to what I found to work best but one thing they lack is the correct valving. That makes a big difference.
Old 07-22-10, 11:11 AM
votinh
Driver School Candidate

what's your current spring rate set up for your 2gs?
Old 07-22-10, 11:35 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

18k is waaaayyy to stiff for the front.

Unless you're racing/drifting.
Old 07-22-10, 07:57 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

what's your current spring rate set up for your 2gs?
I'm currently running a 8" 650lbs/in and 7" 500lbs/in hyperco springs front and rear with custom valving. It cost a little more but it is the best combo out there. There are alot of companies out there that claims there setup to be the best, it doesn't come near the quality of Hyperco springs. They are dead on with their spring rates whereas other companies out there are always off no matter what the spring rate they claim to come with. I know because I've tried them all before and have found variations in all of them from Teins, BC Racing, JIC, etc..
Old 07-22-10, 10:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There are only three brands I would trust with springs for racing: Hyperco, Swift, and Eibach.

Can't wait to switch mine out!
Old 07-23-10, 12:14 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
There are only three brands I would trust with springs for racing: Hyperco, Swift, and Eibach.

Can't wait to switch mine out!
I've never tried out Swift springs before but have heard from a local friend that has them on his IS350 with zeal coilovers and he said that they are on par with Eibach springs. In the past, I've always trusted Eibach but this one time, I rode in a Porsche GT3 with Hyperco springs and man were they nice on the track. So after that, I switched over to Hyperco and have fallen in love with them.
Old 07-23-10, 01:17 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ALexus300, just wondering but how did you know what the valving must be set at in order to match your spring rates? was it trial and error, whatever felt best to you while driving, etc? I and I'm sure others on the board are wondering the proper route to go for the proper selection of a custom susp. setup.

picking a spring rate is simple, but I was always felt uneasy as to how to properly request what the tube valving should be at.
Old 07-23-10, 06:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I've never tried out Swift springs before but have heard from a local friend that has them on his IS350 with zeal coilovers and he said that they are on par with Eibach springs. In the past, I've always trusted Eibach but this one time, I rode in a Porsche GT3 with Hyperco springs and man were they nice on the track. So after that, I switched over to Hyperco and have fallen in love with them.
I'm really trying to find someone at Eibach to make me custom springs, but my application is not important enough for them to even consider I've always trusted Eibach due to their track/motorsport record. Practically all Formula 1 cars are riding on Eibachs

Originally Posted by kene
ALexus300, just wondering but how did you know what the valving must be set at in order to match your spring rates? was it trial and error, whatever felt best to you while driving, etc? I and I'm sure others on the board are wondering the proper route to go for the proper selection of a custom susp. setup.

picking a spring rate is simple, but I was always felt uneasy as to how to properly request what the tube valving should be at.
The main valving is done internally and has little to do with the damper adjustments. It's not a number you pick at all. Best way to figure out is to put your car on a 7 post shaker rig and replicate the road conditions. Your valving will be based on how you want your car to react. Most reputable shock builders probably have done more than enough shock dynos to kind of get an idea on how to set the valving. Of course not everyone has access to a shaker rig so the coilover manufactor will most likely valve the shocks the way they see fit for the spring rate. This will work good enough for *most* daily drivers. Guys who are serious about racing will require custom setups.
Old 07-23-10, 10:00 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kene

Valving setup requires alot of time and access to equipment that only large race teams have. Luckily for me, I live around an area that has a few 7 post rig and shock dyno machine which allows me access to them. I have a few friends that work for motorsport teams now, so they help me out when possible. But for the mass majority of people who are not serious about tracking their car or don't have access to these multi million dollar machines must really rely on trial and error. It is very very hard to give you a certain shock dyno graph for you to send out to have your shock valving replicate because this all rely on drivers input and feel.

Quick Reply: D2 racing type rs coilovers