Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 07:50 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That is really weird...I have said the same argument you have just said lowbuxracer.
So what exactly is it you are debating with me about. we are on the same page.

If you are at the point of wheel lockup no matter how big or small your brakes rotors are, they are not going to make a difference(It maybe can be argued smaller/lesser weight brake parts will make a minuscule difference, but that is not my focus). At that point the biggest difference is the tires(pressure, co-efficient of friction between the road and the tires, tread design of the tire based on the road conditions, tire composition and its handling capabilities under the subjected temperature and road conditions) and their contact with the road.

OR

Is the problem that I agreed with Juice14's first paragraph(13 posts up) post of there are several factors and variables that go into increasing or decreasing the stopping distance of a vehicle?

What exactly is it that I posted that you are chiming in about with your given post(the post above this one)?

Now on a personal level(we can venture there, I don't mind), I studied to be an engineer and I am an engineer. And I am looking to go back to school to gain another degree in another field of engineering, with a possible MBA to round it off. I understand the concepts, math, and some unproved/unprovable theory behind engineering(And if I don't I am striving to figure it out..I strive for knowledge on the things I love). Now with that said, does this mean that I know more than you or anyone else who is not an engineer?..H3ll No it doesn't.
I pride myself on being a person that can subjectively look at your views and hear what you have to say without disregarding your thoughts(This is just how I operate personally). Believe it or not we have engineers that both can THEORETICALLY prove 2 opposing views and debate tooth and nail to prove the other one wrong. In reality they are both right, given certain circumstances and conditions(this even occurs amongst opposing engineering groups). A "blanket theory" does not work in these instances.

This is the "living being" in engineering(as they would say in school). There is no perfect "constant rule" in these instances..

I looked through the "Pulp Friction" article written by
James Walker jr. in February of 1991.

link:
http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

Who of which finished with his automotive college and got his degree in 1994.

link:
http://www.teamscr.com/about-james-w...walker-jr.html

Link w/ picture:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Skimming through it, it is a cool article. Nothing extremely technical, but still informative. Some of the math concepts I've used on this site before.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...uestion-3.html

Last edited by kene; 01-06-11 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-19-11, 06:58 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote a giant article to try to explain it easier, and then realized it would only add variables.

If you are talking about a 60mph -to- 0 mph stop ONCE, going bigger on your brakes will actually HURT your cars performance.

I have put MKIV Supra N/A Brakes on MKIV Supra TT cars a few times for customers (everything else being equal). And the MKIV N/A brakes actually stopped the car in a shorter distance, even tho they were smaller. Both cars had the ability to lock up the brakes (or engage ABS). The reason, and the ONLY ONLY ONLY Reason, is because the MKIV N/A brakes WEIGH LESS than the TT ones.

I installed LS400 brakes on my GS300, for several reasons:
1) they are bigger and dissipate heat better for -repeated- stops and better thermal control (in case I ever go to the track).
2) installed braided lines so the fluid won't swell the lines, and give me a better "feel"
3) they weigh LESS than what was on there since they are aluminum.
4) they look great, even with the non-vented/slotted rotors, Just stock rotors
5) Better pads, so I get a more aggressive "bite" to improve feel and consistency.
6) I wanted a cooler look, and they were $50 more than just replacing what I had

I did NOT install the Bigger LS400 brakes for the following irrelevant reasons.
1) it will stop the car quicker from 100-0 in a panic stop. (because it won't)

Because brakes do NOT stop the car. My tires stop the car, I just want my brakes to bite harder and to feel better and be more consistent. I get more confidence in how my car performs and I enjoy the consistency of knowing what my car will do each and every time.
Old 04-19-11, 07:03 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick update, a _LOT_ OF MKIV TT Guys running drag cars use N/A Brakes (that's why they are all selling The TT Brakes), for TWO reasons.

1) To put skinnies on the front, even tho they DO make skinnies to fit over the TT Calipers.
2) Weight

You would think, if bigger brakes stop the car they would put MASSIVE front brakes on since they are trying to stop from over 150MPH.

Jeff
Old 04-26-11, 12:03 PM
GrnMtnBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor noise?

Hello, I just installed Centric Drilled and slotted rotors with EBC Red Stuff pads. I had the typical squeal for a week or so, then suddenly developed a pad rub noise up front. Both sides, it stops under braking and even under a light side load like lane change or slalom. I bed the brakes in right and can't figure it out. I didn't lube the pistons or install the OEM shims. The pistons looked very good, and the EBC pads have plates installed on them.
I was hoping they would stop after a bit more break-in. Any ideas on cause and or fix would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by GrnMtnBoy; 04-26-11 at 01:32 PM.