Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stock Springs vs Coil overs ?? Better Handling..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 04:23 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stock Springs vs Coil overs ?? Better Handling..

1995 SC300 17" rims 245 Tires, I can not believe how amazing this car handles in stock form, It might beat my 99 A4 quattro lowered, Both of my 240sx's,
Adding coil overs , 2wy LSD, sway bars...on the SC300 must be
Old 07-16-10, 05:38 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

why do you thing you need sway bars?

sway bars have spring rates so the stock ones are matched to the stock springs. does your car oversteer or understeer right now. sway bars can help cure some of that. a rear sway bar is definitely NOT necessary with our cars...ever. from following some people in supra that road race they take off the rear sway bar completely.

i had a very good driver that runs Redline Time Attack drive my car and he said a bigger rear sway bar is not necessary at all. the car rotates fine as is. without the rear sway bar the car feels completely different at the limit. with it in place you feel the rear end come around. you can actually feel the point when it goes from neutral to slight understeer and to slight oversteer. just keep your foot on the pedal

cars like the evo that have huge understeer tendencies benefit from an upgraded rear sway bar and leave the front one stock.

i have 2 s13 myself. a 91 hatch and 92 convertible. i havent pushed the 240 yet since its all "hella flush smalled" so its not set up for gripping much. so far the sc is my better handling car but it feels so heavy in comparison. lol.
Old 07-16-10, 07:50 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^+1. In stock form, the SC has the tendency to understeer just a tad, but change up the alignment, and get grippy tires, and you can have a whole different car!
Old 07-16-10, 10:15 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

I know nothing about this car,I agree no sway bars. I am coming from the 240sx world.I have grippy tires and i amazed how well this car handles,Its hard for me to believe It can get much better.
Old 07-16-10, 11:37 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

^^What kind of tires?
Old 07-16-10, 10:49 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

The car came with Yokohama 245/40/17 all around.17x8 or 9 rims.I am going for Stance coil overs,jic tie rods, 2wy lsd 18x9.5+15front 18x10.5+15 rear, looking to make it handle even better. What else would help??
Old 07-17-10, 09:24 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

yokohama doesnt tell us much. they make plenty of very crappy tires as well as one of the best handling street tires in the Advan AD08.

if you want a good handling street tire get the Falken RT615. amazing grip for street and drifting. full out roadcourse its a bit too soft though. only huge downfall of it is wet grip. that tire is terrible. on stock 2jzge motor i was able to spin the rear in the rain in 3rd gear under acceleration lol
Old 07-17-10, 12:58 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

^ Just got a used set of the Falkens and they do have pretty good dry grip, but I agree that wet grip is a downfall as well as their tendency to heat cycle quickly. They are pretty well priced though, and they seem like good tires for the money. Some other good alternatives are the Kumho XS, and Direzza Z1 Star Specs. All three of these tires are priced pretty well.
Old 07-21-10, 11:45 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm currently running on stance coilovers and dunlop direzza star specs and i must say it is amazing on the track/street. the difference is huge and the car feels so stable. i also have supra brakes in the front (haven't got rear calipers yet) w/ SS lines and hawk pads which are also a big plus.
Old 07-21-10, 11:50 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
yokohama doesnt tell us much. they make plenty of very crappy tires as well as one of the best handling street tires in the Advan AD08.

if you want a good handling street tire get the Falken RT615. amazing grip for street and drifting. full out roadcourse its a bit too soft though. only huge downfall of it is wet grip. that tire is terrible. on stock 2jzge motor i was able to spin the rear in the rain in 3rd gear under acceleration lol
I recommend the Dunlop Direzza z1 Star Specs over the RT615. Although the Dunlops are bit more expensive the handling characteristics and longevity(amount of heat cycles) on the track simply trumps the RT615.
Old 07-22-10, 12:28 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kwg
i'm currently running on stance coilovers and dunlop direzza star specs and i must say it is amazing on the track/street. the difference is huge and the car feels so stable. i also have supra brakes in the front (haven't got rear calipers yet) w/ SS lines and hawk pads which are also a big plus.
I am about to order some Stance Coil overs , How do you like the ride compared to stock ?? I know they are adjustable but do they jar your bladder or are they nice
Old 07-22-10, 12:40 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snakehead
I am about to order some Stance Coil overs , How do you like the ride compared to stock ?? I know they are adjustable but do they jar your bladder or are they nice
I personally find them very comfortable at the same time solid. I have mine set fairly firm on the street and all the way at the track. When i had it on the softest setting my car would bounce over slight bumps (good ol' san francisco) so I experimented a bit with stiffness and tire pressure. I initially wanted to purchase the Megans because of price but I do not regret picking up the Stances one bit.
Old 07-22-10, 06:06 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kwg
I recommend the Dunlop Direzza z1 Star Specs over the RT615. Although the Dunlops are bit more expensive the handling characteristics and longevity(amount of heat cycles) on the track simply trumps the RT615.
star specs are definitely better tires then the rt615. rt615 would make for a great autocross tire since it heats up fairly easily but it starts chunking and greasing fast as well.

my next wet of tires is going to be either yokohama advan ad08 or bridgestone potenza re11. both cost more then my soul but are worth it.

as far as settings on the coilovers. i have my stances set to mid setting on the front and 2 clicks softer in the rear. i dont have any slop in control arm bushings since i replaced everything with Prothane kits.

what spring rates do you have on your stances? 18/10 or 18/12?
Old 07-23-10, 09:49 AM
rcsup1
Driver

Originally Posted by kwg
I personally find them very comfortable at the same time solid. I have mine set fairly firm on the street and all the way at the track. When i had it on the softest setting my car would bounce over slight bumps (good ol' san francisco) so I experimented a bit with stiffness and tire pressure. I initially wanted to purchase the Megans because of price but I do not regret picking up the Stances one bit.
So why in this thread post 72 did you say..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post5655324

"I was really considering the mengans because of price but went with stance because of availablity since the megans weren't in stock. As much as I enjoy the stances (especially on the track) I kind of wish I waited for the megans instead "
Old 07-24-10, 01:59 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcsup1
So why in this thread post 72 did you say..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post5655324

"I was really considering the mengans because of price but went with stance because of availablity since the megans weren't in stock. As much as I enjoy the stances (especially on the track) I kind of wish I waited for the megans instead "
mainly price. although people say megans dont make quality products, i do want to try out the megans and see how the valving and ride is compared to the stances for myself. overall im satisfied with my choice, but i would definitely love to explore other options

Quick Reply: Stock Springs vs Coil overs ?? Better Handling..